Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JO model problems in JA

Page: 1 of 1
 Samuel Dravis
12-22-2003, 4:27 PM
I have found that models from JO have an exploitable bug when used in Academy. This is caused when using the dual saber's kata. The left saber never leaves the hand; it points directly forward. This can be used to have a blocking/hitting advantage if the opponent tries to attack during the kata.

This obviously only works on impure servers. I think I heard somewhere that this is caused by a flag in the model not being present. If there is any way to make it work properly, it would be a nice addition to the bug fixes.
 Darth Sun
12-22-2003, 4:49 PM
Acoording to Raven Software, JO models' skeleton is converted "on the fly" to a JA standard.
This obviously means this conversion process screws up when it comes the time to re-assign the bones to the left hand.

I believe this flaw is coded inside JA's own executable, which we don't have the source of to fix.
Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong since this is also something that interests me.
 razorace
12-22-2003, 9:47 PM
Yeah, I beleive Raven screwed up by misspelling the tag name in the converter.
 Kurgan
12-22-2003, 9:49 PM
I've seen this as well. Another bug is when you use the dual sabers "taunt."

One of the sabers crosses in front of you like it's supposed to, but the other stays in an upright position.
 Darth Sun
12-22-2003, 11:46 PM
Yep.
The saber that remains is the left hand saber as usual, due to the same left hand tag/bone problem.

Highly doubtful (read: impossible) Raven Software will release a patch just for this though.
 keshire
12-23-2003, 4:30 AM
Its a simple misspelling causing it all.

lhang_bone = JA
lhand_bone = JO

If the original model authors recompile with that correction they'd work just fine.
 Marker0077
12-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
This can be used to have a blocking/hitting advantage if the opponent tries to attack during the kata.

This obviously only works on impure servers.Not really. In order for this to work at all the server would have to have the model on the server, otherwise it may appear that the saber is going a certain direction but it's actually not. It's basically the kyle model as far as the server is concerned.

This same concept applies to other hilt mods. I am currently working on a new weapon type where the saber is reversed. If the server does not have the reversed saber on the server, the blade will appear to be reversed but it's actually not.

Actually this doesn't happen with the reversed saber but it does happen with others.Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
I think I heard somewhere that this is caused by a flag in the model not being present. If there is any way to make it work properly, it would be a nice addition to the bug fixes. Actually this is just a tag or something named differently. I forgot what the name of it is but it's only 1 character.

Realistically this was just a sloppy mistake on Ravens end. They made it so that JK2 weapons would work in JK3 even though the tag for where weapons flash/sabers emit are named differently - same concept. They should have changed the code to accept the old name if the new isn't present.

I'll get in contact with RA & see if we can fix that in the code. I plan on fixing this with all the CM models.Originally posted by Kurgan
I've seen this as well. Another bug is when you use the dual sabers "taunt."

One of the sabers crosses in front of you like it's supposed to, but the other stays in an upright position. They are both caused by the renamed tag.Originally posted by keshire
Its a simple misspelling causing it all.

lhang_bone = JA
lhand_bone = JO

If the original model authors recompile with that correction they'd work just fine. Ya, that's the tag (which is not really a tag but woteva). This should be dealt with via the code, it would be nice if Raven made a fix for this.

If RA can fix this that'd be great too. See if this is something that can be solved server-side, that'd be even better.
 razorace
12-27-2003, 6:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that that code is inside the engine and not something we can fix.
Page: 1 of 1