Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Basic Suggestion: "Do Warmups"

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
12-16-2003, 7:37 AM
I noticed the other day (and I've heard this from Amidala as well) that the "Do Warmup" feature is broken in JA.

It doesn't work if you set it in the console or if you enable voting and vote to "Do Warmup."

How it worked in Q3 is that you got a certain amount of time (I think up to a 99 seconds, but on average it was 10-20 seconds) to explore a new map or set your controls, say before a competition or when testing a new level (plus it loads faster the second time for everyone since they've cached everything).

Could OJP re-enable this?
 razorace
12-16-2003, 7:43 AM
How is it broken? What happens when you try it? And how are you suppose to get it to work normally?
 Wudan
12-16-2003, 12:21 PM
A) It's broken because it doesn't work - you don't get a time to 'warm-up'.

B) To work 'normally' it should act as Kurgan said.
 razorace
12-17-2003, 1:59 AM
Which cvar controls the warm up time?
 Kurgan
12-17-2003, 7:23 AM
Obviously Raven intended for it to be in the game, but they apparently forgot to make sure it was working even with the 1.01 patch.

In the escape menu, check on the "call vote" sub menu, you'll see the option (under the last item) to "Do Warmup"

When setting up a listen server you can also choose to do a Warm up enter the time you want to do a warmup for.

In the first example, the vote passes, but no warmup ever happens.

In the second, the map just starts normally as if you had never elected to do a warmup in the first place.

The relevant cvars are:

seta g_doWarmup "1"
seta g_warmup "20"

(from my server.cfg file)

They simply don't do the warmup like they're supposed to.
 Wudan
12-17-2003, 12:27 PM
I should point out the obvious advantage to a warmup - it gives everybody time to load the map and prepare for battle!

Users with high end systems may tweak their texture settings LOW to gain a fast load time, which enables them to get in the map and get moving, while other players 'beam in' and are a little disoriented.

TONS of other games have warmup - I don't recall if JK2 had warmup, but it'd certainly be a boon to competitive play.
 razorace
12-17-2003, 7:28 PM
Ok, fixed. commiting to repository now.
 Kurgan
12-18-2003, 8:00 AM
Impressive, RazorAce!
 razorace
12-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Impressive, RazorAce!

Are you mocking me? :D
 Kurgan