Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

savegame hex editing guide

Page: 1 of 1
 juv3nal
12-15-2003, 8:19 PM
(not mine) just thought i'd give a heads up to anybody who wanted to cheat up an uber character with every feat/force power. Personally I haven't tried it out yet so I can't confirm that it works.

edit: doh! forgot the link --> http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=3379&topic=11597572)
 Grayfox08
12-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Sweet thanx for the link. I'll give a go at it, when I get back from work.
 eidospsogos
12-16-2003, 12:01 AM
hmmm. so basically if there were an ingame way to drop levels then this could be used for those of us who know how much trouble a hex-editor can cause. (especially if you don't know exactly what you're doing.)

wish there was a way to drop levels with cheats. or a trainer, or something less risky than a hex editor :)
 juv3nal
12-17-2003, 2:35 AM
it's not like you're hex editing an executable or a currently-executing memory address or something. No risk, just make a backup save file.

edit: btw i still haven't gotten to dantooine to try this yet, anyone else get it to work?
 juv3nal
12-17-2003, 12:26 PM
I just tried it out, it works. In case it's not clear, when he talks about "count # spaces" basically he means the decimal offset, so you don't actually have to count spaces, you just take the offset for the initial value you searched for and add the number to it.

BTW, you'll get a crash if you try to look at what force powers you have when you're a 0th level jedi. Which is no huge surprise.
 eidospsogos
12-17-2003, 6:55 PM
okay. you say you tried it out. first, what hex-editing program are you using? second, where are we supposed to be looking for the number 50 34 03. because there are a sh!tload of numbers here. are we talking about a hex address?

fill me in here....because i am having trouble finding the d@mn number.
 juv3nal
12-18-2003, 12:44 AM
I'm using hex workshop.

I just set my experience to 190,000 since that's actually all you need to get to level 20. the hex for that would be 2E630, but what you'd need to search for would be 30 E6 02; this is just the digits in the other number paired up with a 0 inserted before the leading odd-digited. We're not talking about an address at that point.

Hex workshop (and I'm pretty sure 99.99% of all hex editors) has a search or find function which makes it so you don't have to actually look for the number yourself. Using it will take you to the address you need. Hex workshop gives your address in both hex and decimal which is really useful for the bit where you look 252 spaces away because you just take that offset(in decimal) and add 252 to it. You can then scroll down or use the cursor key to get to that address.
 eidospsogos
12-18-2003, 3:22 AM
alright. now we're getting somehwere. sounds abit more managable now. :) thanks for all the help.
 thalar
01-14-2004, 1:39 AM
Thanks for posting that link! I went to the site a few days ago to play around with it, but I never did quite figure it out. Silly me forgot to save the webpage, though, and now the link doesn't work. Does anybody have a copy of it that they could send me?
 wyleong321
01-14-2004, 4:33 PM
If the link is broken, here is a copy of the message. Too bad, I don't remember who created this tutorial, so I cannot give him or her credit:

Ok, here's a "tutorial" in hex-editing your savegame. Note, this is only one of the many ways of doing it, and I'm sure there's a simpler way to go about it, but I did it in a trial and error fashion. I'll post the process I went about here (except the parts that failed, obviously).

First of all, you need a hex editor. Personally I use a dirt-old DOS hex editor just because I've used it for many years, but you should probably get a newer one, like Hex Workshop or whatever.

NOTE: If you are already a Jedi and only want more Force Powers, skip the class changing thing listed below, and only reset your character's Jedi class level to 1.

BEFORE choosing a Jedi class by talking to Master Dorak, use the cheat codes to give your character a total of 210,000 XP. Standing in front of Master Dorak right now, ready to choose your Jedi class, would be very practical. Auto level up to level 20. Save the game in two different slots, in case you mess up something.

Open your Savegame.sav file with the hex editor. If you have 210,000 exp (which you should), search for the number "50 34 03". After finding it, count 240 spaces to the right to find your character's level. You're level 20 now, so it will say 14 here. Change this to 01.

Count 12 spaces to the left. This is your character's class. This will say 00 for soldier, 01 for scout and 02 for scoundrel. Just keep a note of it, we'll change it later.

Reload the game. You'll be level 1 again. Talk to Master Dorak and choose your Jedi Class. You'll be a level 1 soldier, scout or scoundrel, and level 1 Jedi of your chosen class. Save the game in the two slots again, DO NOT LEVEL UP YET!

Edit the game, search for the experience value. Count 252 spaces to the right to find your Jedi class. 03 for Guardian, 04 for Counsular and 05 for sentinel.

Now. Let's say you started the game as a soldier. Then change this Jedi Class value to scout. Count 12 spaces to the left to find the level, set this to 0. Yes, 0, not 1. Save changes and reload game. Auto level up to 20, save and edit the game again. Change class to Scoundrel and level to 0. Reload game, auto level up again and save the game in the two slots. Repeat this process for all the Jedi classes too, setting the class to one of them and the level to 0. This will give you all the innate feats that start at level 1. When you have done all that, set the Jedi Class back to the one you want to play the game with and the level to 1. Yes, 1, not 0 anymore.

Level up manually now, choosing any feats the computer has skipped. If you notice that you are missing some class specific feats (like heavy weapons focus for a soldier), simply set the appropriate class and manually level up and pick them. Choose the Force Powers you like. When you have done all the levels, save and edit the game to set the Jedi level to back to 1. Not 0 because that might remove the force powers you already have gotten. Besides, 1 will suffice because you have all the innate feats already. Manually level up and choose new Force powers again, and repeat as many times as you need to get them all. Voilа!
 eidospsogos
01-15-2004, 5:38 PM
just so everyone knows, i have discovered that you can do the same sort of hex-editing with your party members as well. just get their xp number, type it into the windows calculator. in scientific mode simply check the hex tab in the upper left corner and this will give you your hex equivalent to the xp, but backwards. i.e. if it says BB81, the actual hex value is 81 BB. if you are using a program such as hex workshop you simply type in the value in their find tool and have it find it. the first time i tried this i had to skip over the first instance i found and skip to the next one. the easiest way to be sure you have the right one, is to jump down 240 spaces, and this should be the characters current level. to make sure you are editing the right character, jump 12 spaces back the way you came, or to the left, and this will be the characters class(such as 00 for soldier, 01 for scout, 02 for scoundrel, etc) this is just to make sure you are editing the character you think you are editing, as some party members may have the same amount of xp. anyway, just thought someone might like to know this.
 Protoman
02-09-2004, 2:04 AM
Whenever, I get to the part after you turn yourself into a scout and then you turn yourself into a Scoundrel whenever I try to change me level I can find the number so I can't get it off 20 to level up. I have already tried some numbers after it. Anybody know what to do?
 tk102
02-09-2004, 4:01 AM
Hi. Here (http://sithres.board.dk3.com/2/viewtopic.php?t=24) is an alternative to hex editing if you're interested.
 thenewguy
02-09-2004, 5:05 AM
hex editing is quite safe if you're careful and backup your files. lowering levels is a godsend when you join dark bastilla. her dismal choice of feats and force powers makes me want to cry.
Page: 1 of 1