Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How about the kick?

Page: 1 of 1
 MasterSidious
12-11-2003, 6:49 PM
I have a real hard time kicking and I know other people had a hard time in jo with the front flip kick. Sure, there's binds to try and do the kick but you can't really always use it. I propose that there be some in game cmd made for the front flip kick. In duelbeta on jo they even had this but then they took it out. Could someone please do this or tell me how to do it? I hope this thread isn't in the wrong place. But, I figured this would be the easiest way to get this idea out there.
 t3rr0r
12-11-2003, 7:30 PM
i thought razor said flip kick wouldn't be implemented.
 razorace
12-11-2003, 8:24 PM
Yeah, the flip kick probably isn't going into OJP.
 MasterSidious
12-11-2003, 8:38 PM
Can anyone perchance tell me how to make a kick cmd? I would really like to put this into my mod :D
Thanks
 razorace
12-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Are you talking about the flip kick or the normal kicks?
 Marker0077
12-12-2003, 1:24 AM
I think he's talking about putting the JO kicks into JA. I was going to post about this later because I got a few different requests for this for some time now, but this is just as good of a time as any I suppose.

For the old JO kicks I think there should be 2 CVars...

kickf
This CVar is for front kicking. When set to...
0 = disabled, no front kicking (default)
1 = enabled, front kicking with damage & knockback
2 = enabled, front kicking without damage & knockback
3 = enabled, front kicking with damage & without knockback
4 = enabled, single click front kicking with damage & knockback
5 = enabled, single click front kicking without damage & knockback
6 = enabled, single click front kicking with damage & without knockback

kicks
This CVar is for side kicking. When set to...
0 = disabled, no side kicking (default)
1 = enabled, side kicking with damage & knockback
2 = enabled, side kicking without damage & knockback
3 = enabled, side kicking with damage & without knockback

This would make it completely configurable. Single click kicking (another Duelers feature BTW) is really only useful for slower PC users. Faster PC users can just bind the kick & it's no problem to do. Unfortunately, front kicking is 1 of the 2 things in JK that is mostly dependant on PC speed (the other is saberlocking). Single click kicking tends to even out the faster PC vs the slower PC aspect a bit more.

Razor, if I can get someone to code this, would you be interested in adding it to OJP?
 razorace
12-12-2003, 2:43 AM
I might be receptive if it didn't have all those cvars and had some serious balancing done. I'm thinking that the best way to balance kicking would be to make the defender's idle saber damage to do full damage to people that are in the air or on the ground attempting to kick.
 Marker0077
12-12-2003, 10:20 AM
All those Cvars? There's 2.

This is pretty much the same options you had with MotF except there's more of them. This guy is on about easier front kicking, which is what the single click kicking is for. The single click kicking for me is there more because it helps balance out slower PCs vs faster PCs. The only thing left with balancing out slower PCs vs faster PCs would be saberlocking but I have no idea how to balance that out aside from removing it altogether.

As for the idle saber damage, there is none in JK3, unless you implimented it again. Either way, I don't see the point. I'll look into getting this stuff coded.
 razorace
12-12-2003, 7:22 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. I don't remember ever messing with the kick code for OJP.

My concern is cvar overload. With those two options, you have end up with 28 combinations and no real easy what to filter servers by that. Assuming admins actually use them, you'd force players to roam from server to server to find the game they want or create complicated filters. We want to unite the community, not divide it.
 Marker0077
12-12-2003, 9:01 PM
Originally posted by razorace
I don't know what you're talking about. I don't remember ever messing with the kick code for OJP.I was told that you made it so that kicks did damage but no knockback & vice versa with MotF (not OJP). Perhaps I was misinformed.Originally posted by razorace
My concern is cvar overload. With those two options, you have end up with 28 combinations and no real easy what to filter servers by that.First off, last I checked it was the length of the CVar, not what the switch is set to that would overload anything (actually, I would imagine it would be both) but even if it was what the switch is set to, these are single character switches in both CVars. I don't see where you see this overload. If you are that concerned about an overload, make the cvar more cryptic.

Matter fact, all CVars should be no more than 3 or 4 characters long simply because it makes more space (or woteva) & you can put more features in there. Now, or in the future. Lee had to rename all the CVars in Duelers because of this. Perhaps you would like to save yourself the effort of needing to do so in the future & do it now, when there aren't as many features implimented yet.

Secondly, it's very easy to filter servers by that as long as the server shows what the cvar is set to out of game (like a sets variable would). If a person can't filter it out via that then it's the program that they are using on their end & there's absolutely nothing more you can do on yours.Originally posted by razorace
Assuming admins actually use them, you'd force players to roam from server to server to find the game they want or create complicated filters. We want to unite the community, not divide it.You wouldn't be dividing anything, all you would be doing is adding more options; Options people have been asking for even in the JK2 days as I recall.

Again, as long as the server shows what the CVar is set to out of game, they can tell easily. You can do this with 90% of the server browsers out there including ASE, GameSpy Arcade, & you can even create a custom filter with GameSpy 3D (which would be ideal).

Creating filters is not tough. If anyone thinks that it is, they can just check the server settings before they join or I can create a tutorial (or filter) for them. Knowing how to create your own filters is by far the best thing to do. It may take a little effort at first but it saves alot in the future.
Page: 1 of 1