Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Source Code Handling

Page: 1 of 1
 razorace
12-09-2003, 6:43 PM
I've been thinking about it and I'm thinking that we might want to reorganize the CVS repository to have only one source directory that uses branches to seperate the Basic and Enhanced distros.

In addition, we're in real bad need of someone to do compiles of the binaries for Linux.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
 razorace
12-10-2003, 12:45 AM
Ok dokie, due to the what things work in CVS, it looks like it was treating the seperate files with the same filenames in different directories as the same file.

So I had to branch the files. I beleive they will still act as the different files in seperate directories but now they will probably be easier to merge.
 razorace
12-12-2003, 2:41 AM
Wait, wait. That's due to me being an idiot. Right now everything is a mess. I'll do some checking but my guess is that I'll create one directory structure for both distros (basic/Enhanced) and have them be branched.

Sorry about the hassle. I'm new at this CVS stuff.
 Samuel Dravis
12-12-2003, 3:03 AM
I doubt anyone would expect you to be perfect at everything...come on, you have to be crappy at SOMETHING!

Not fair. :D

Razor, I have a copy of Knoppix Linux sitting right here next to me...I have no experience using it though. What would be needed to compile the stuff on Linux? Just load it up with one of those freeware C compilers and press "compile"?
 razorace
12-12-2003, 3:16 AM
Unfortunately, no. I haven't done the nessicary linux fixes to get it to compile correctly on linux.

Anyway, could I please get some feedback on weither we should go with one directory branched or two directories, seperate files for the Basic/Enhanced stuff?

With one directory, it will be a little harder to get what you want initially *since you'd have to retrieve the branch you want.

However, with two directories it would be harder to add changes to both versions of the game.

Ideally we could have two directories with one branched copy with one branch being in each directort (like I have locally on my system) but I don't know if that's possible for the actual directory.
 razorace
12-12-2003, 3:16 AM
Unfortunately, no. I haven't done the nessicary linux fixes to get it to compile correctly on linux.

Anyway, could I please get some feedback on weither we should go with one directory branched or two directories, seperate files for the Basic/Enhanced stuff?

With one directory, it will be a little harder to get what you want initially *since you'd have to retrieve the branch you want.

However, with two directories it would be harder to add changes to both versions of the game.

Ideally we could have two directories with one branched copy with one branch being in each directort (like I have locally on my system) but I don't know if that's possible for the actual repository.
 Samuel Dravis
12-12-2003, 3:26 AM
Maybe something like this?

/OJP
/Basic
/Source
/Enhanced

I don't see how it can get any simpler than that...Enhanced should just contain Enhanced files. No anim fixes etc. Basic/Source would be to put the code fixes etc that Basic would have. We obviously couldn't merge those.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
12-12-2003, 7:25 AM
Sorry Razor, wasn't around last night, or I would have taken a look at it.

I don't know how this CVS system works, but the one I'm used to will allow you to branch a particular source directory, and create a new source directory from the branched code.

i.e. If you had OJP/Basic, you should be able to branch the Basic folder and create OJP/Enhanced.

When I get home tonight, I'll have a look through it with you, if your around...
Page: 1 of 1