Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Fans

Page: 1 of 1
 urluckyday
12-06-2003, 1:21 AM
Now, there are different kinds of Star Wars fans out there. But is there one true fan? Do they have to like all the books, toys, games and cards? Or can they just like the books and toys? I've met several huge fans of Star Wars, and they tell me different things. Some of the book readers say that books are good because they go where Lucas left off. On the other hand, toy lovers think that books go to far out and think that with using toys, people can properly reinact the greatest moments of Star Wars. There are two distinctions between the two sides, but who is right? Or is everybody wrong? Or right? You decide.:jawa
 ZBomber
12-06-2003, 1:49 PM
Er.... not all toy lovers are like that. ;)

I collect the action figures, and its pretty much my life, but I gotta agree with the book readers.
 Jedi_Monk
12-06-2003, 6:57 PM
The movies are all, period.
 urluckyday
12-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Please respond to this! I would like to know how you all feel!
 wassup
12-09-2003, 11:01 PM
Some books are cool, but I feel the toys can get a little expensive once you start collecting, so I don't particularly follow the toy craze.
 ZBomber
12-14-2003, 1:30 PM
Originally posted by wassup
Some books are cool, but I feel the toys can get a little expensive once you start collecting, so I don't particularly follow the toy craze.

There 5 bucks a figure. You spend an average of 30 dollars a month, if you get any luck finding new ones at all.....
 Lynk Former
12-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Just think if you saved all that money you could've bought yourself a bloody good car...
 ZBomber
12-15-2003, 2:44 AM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
Just think if you saved all that money you could've bought yourself a bloody good car...

I'm not old enoguh to buy a car and use it. ^_^

Besides, selling my colelction will get me even more money. :)
 JediNyt
12-15-2003, 2:58 AM
Anyone who truly loves and respects the movies is a true fan, period. Like me, I dont collect much, I dont read much EU, but Im a huge fan.
 Jedi Luke
12-15-2003, 9:36 AM
I respect the movies, read the books and collect the action figures. When I was younger I'd play with my action figures (cos it was fun). Now the action figures are collectables for me. I've read a few star wars books (Timothy Zahn's books for example) and the Star Wars books add to the 'Star Wars' science fiction and are enjoyable to read. Each of these are all fun in certain ways :).
 Lynk Former
12-15-2003, 9:54 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
I'm not old enoguh to buy a car and use it. ^_^

Besides, selling my colelction will get me even more money. :)

you won't sell. you've worked too hard to collect it all. what makes you think you'll ever sell it?
 ZBomber
12-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
you won't sell. you've worked too hard to collect it all. what makes you think you'll ever sell it?

I shoulda rephrased that. IF I selled my collection, I woulda have enough money to buy a car. I'll only sell it if it's a life crisis though. ^_^
 leXX
12-15-2003, 4:15 PM
No, there is not one true fan. A Star Wars fan isn't defined by a particular genre of Star Wars and one isn't better than the other. It doesn't matter if you just like the films, or just like playing the games, or just like collecting, if you like Star Wars, you are a true fan, fullstop.
 MennoniteHobbit
12-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by leXX
No, there is not one true fan. A Star Wars fan isn't defined by a particular genre of Star Wars and one isn't better than the other. It doesn't matter if you just like the films, or just like playing the games, or just like collecting, if you like Star Wars, you are a true fan, fullstop.

amen to that, leXX.
 urluckyday
12-18-2003, 8:36 PM
Thank you all for responding and keep it up! Everyone have safe and happy holidays!:jawa
 Jedi_Monk
12-20-2003, 2:40 PM
<<I'm not old enoguh to buy a car and use it. ^_^>>
You'll wish you'd saved that money the day you turn 16. I know I do. Every time I look at my action figures and basketball cards, which I so dutifully collected for almost a decade, I think, what a waste of money.

The sad truth is that the new Star Wars figures won't be worth even a fraction in thirty years of what the originals are worth today. Too many people see the toys as collectables, so they're not rare. Kids played with the old toys, beat the crap out of them in 'ginormous' battles, blew them up with firecrackers, burried them in the back yard, and fed them to the enormous alien creature called their dog. Few figures remained intact after this, and even fewer were left in the original packaging. Now, everyone's a collector, and the rarity that drives up prices just isn't there for the vast majority of figures.

There are some figures that will be worth a ton, I'm sure. But will those few figures make up for what you spent on the others?
 Mini_k
12-28-2003, 4:24 PM
Though corny as it may seem, the true fan is the one who just loves the movies, the concept or just the idea..... You don't have to own a billion books and toys to be a real fan, just love it that's all... :)
 urluckyday
12-29-2003, 12:02 AM
Amen to that man!
 ZBomber
01-25-2004, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Monk
<<I'm not old enoguh to buy a car and use it. ^_^>>
You'll wish you'd saved that money the day you turn 16. I know I do. Every time I look at my action figures and basketball cards, which I so dutifully collected for almost a decade, I think, what a waste of money.

The sad truth is that the new Star Wars figures won't be worth even a fraction in thirty years of what the originals are worth today. Too many people see the toys as collectables, so they're not rare. Kids played with the old toys, beat the crap out of them in 'ginormous' battles, blew them up with firecrackers, burried them in the back yard, and fed them to the enormous alien creature called their dog. Few figures remained intact after this, and even fewer were left in the original packaging. Now, everyone's a collector, and the rarity that drives up prices just isn't there for the vast majority of figures.

There are some figures that will be worth a ton, I'm sure. But will those few figures make up for what you spent on the others?

Yes, that is very true. the 95 figures sell for about 3 b ucks. Like I said, I don't really care how much they sell for, I'm giving my collection to my kids. When I see the smile on their face, and watch them play with thw figures that I used to pla ywith, will be worth more than any car

Bwsides - my mom is gonna give me her old car once I can drive. what I'm riding isn't a big deal to me. ;)
 Snafu7
01-26-2004, 1:14 PM
I like the movies, I have few books that I got years ago, I don't really read them much though. I also have a bunch of those miniature figures, that I are accumulating dust in my closet.
 Pie™
01-27-2004, 10:17 AM
I have many star wars toys, some star wars cards, a few sw books, and some sw games :)
I consider myself a moderate fan ;)
 Glaive v.1
02-05-2004, 12:54 PM
I love the films. Maybe not EpI so much. I think that you can be a big fan wateva u collect.

I have a medium collection of toys, but i kinda stoped collecting them now. I love to read the books. i don't have many. I find that unless you read the books alot you can kinda get lost on the whole story.

for example i read the rogue sqaudron book. then the heir to the empire trilogy thing. the last book i read was just after the yuzhan vong invastion of sumthing, i've kinda got lost with the whole EU stuff
 DarkLord60
02-09-2004, 10:24 PM
I use to collect but I was little then and I would always open everything. So I stopped collecting and now I just enjoy the movies.
 Darth Slayne
02-14-2004, 6:01 PM
Slayne's usless trivia #694:

The word "Fan" is actually derived from the word "Fanatic".

Frightening but true.

Yeah, yeah...enough with the English teacher stuff allready, I hear you say. Give an old geezer a break here. :D

I think Lexx has it right though. But I don't really tend to think of myself as a "True fan", despite having loved the movies for most of my 32 (where's that damn walking stick again?) long years on this rock. I just love the whole concept of the Star Wars galaxy, and am content with merely being the enthusiast that I am.
 Miko_lover
03-06-2004, 10:58 PM
I really think that toys...action figures...whatever you want to call them are way too kid-ish. I stopped collecting when I was eleven.
I like the books, the movies and roleplaying; and discussing the books and movies with people. I love debating.
 Doomie
03-31-2004, 1:24 PM
'if there's a bright center of the universe, you're on the planet that is the farrest from it.'

That's how i feel right now. I CAN'T even properly collect starwars stuff cause i live in the netherlands. But i don't really want to, cause i agree with lexx. Considered my love for the movies and games (games are properly availlable here,), i'm a huge fan!

(forgive me my spelling but hey, i'm DUTCH!)
 dark jedi 8
03-31-2004, 10:08 PM
i collect the figs, have since 95. i consider myself a big fan, but not b/c i collect the figs, watch the movies, or go to the conventions. i consider myself a big fan cus no matter what i will always back up star wars in a conversation, and will always love the concept even when it becomes "outdated". one day i will share star wars w/ my kids (a long time, but some day) and that's what i believe will make me a true fan, is continuing the story from one generation to another. just my opinion but....
 Wraith 8
04-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Since when did the amount of books/knoledge fo the facts/ toys become a meter for fan-nes. your a fan when you love the movies. i mean starwars started with movies so i think there still lies the basics. but a person who loves the movies but hates the EU is still a fan...

i personally like the wraith squadron books more then most of the movies. but ims till a fan :)

Originally posted by Doomgiver
(forgive me my spelling but hey, i'm DUTCH!) *check birthdate* yeah you grew up with dutch cartoons instead of old school subtitled ones right? *shakes head negativly* where is this country going to.

maar dat is nog geen reden om niet goed engels te kunnen :p ;)
 Samuel Dravis
04-01-2004, 12:09 PM
I like the movies, but I also like the books a lot. I have almost all of them. IMO, some of their plots are better than the movies. Figures...they didn't interest me much after I got over toys and started focusing on real value, like games. :)
Page: 1 of 1