Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Best way to snap vertex to diagonal face?

Page: 1 of 1
 babywax
12-06-2003, 1:01 AM
What is the best method for doing this? I have a box, that is sloped, and I have a smaller box that I want to "attach" to it, so I need to align the vertex to the face. What is the best method for doing this?
 razorace
12-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Is this a coding problem or a modeling problem? What are you trying to do?
 babywax
12-09-2003, 3:05 PM
This is a modelling problem, I have a triangle, and I want to put a vertex along the face (it's going diagonally).

I just want to have the vertex on the face.
 tFighterPilot
12-09-2003, 4:18 PM
Are you using 3D Studio Max?
 babywax
12-09-2003, 5:35 PM
Yep, version 5.
 g-spot
12-12-2003, 6:25 AM
you could "tesselate" the face in question, or "split" one of the lines (edges), or use the slice plane with a face sub-selection...

:p
 babywax
12-12-2003, 1:53 PM
I'm trying not to increase the polygon count though, doing that a lot can wind up in a lot of useless polygons... :(
 WadeV1589
12-12-2003, 3:00 PM
I can think of one way, I'm sure there is an easier one but it currently eludes me.

Copy the face you want to place a vertex in the middle of into a new mesh. Subdivide this new mesh (face) so it is split into 3 triangles, delete the 3 outer vertices and you'll be left with the middle vertex perfectly positioned.

Another method is copy the 3 vertices that make up that face (hold shift if you want to clone them into the same model and just click once, you'll get the option to copy or instance the 3 vertices). Then simply collapse them, they will all collapse into the centre of that face due to the averaging of the 3 vertices positions.
Page: 1 of 1