Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

few model questions, plz help

Page: 1 of 1
 jangofett804
12-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Just a few questions regarding models:

1. How do you change a models texture? I thought there would be a way by selecting the model and going to it's entities menu, bu i dont know the command.

2. Whenever i test a level i made in Radiant, any model in the level aren't "solid" (i pass right thru them instead of colliding). How to fix this?

If Anyone can answer, that would be very helpful, thanks in advance.
 _PerfectAgent_
12-05-2003, 11:02 PM
1. You can't do that. You have to make your own model using a modeling program such as gmax.

2. You either have to make brushes tightly around the model, using the clip shader, which is an invisible wall for the players, but the shots go through or you can use the physics clip shader. There is a cleaner option though, go to the entities window and add the key spawnflags and add the value 2. That'll make it solid on its own.
 jangofett804
12-05-2003, 11:12 PM
Thank you
 Emon
12-05-2003, 11:50 PM
You can hex edit a model to change the textures. If it's an ASE model, you can do it in any text editor.
 shukrallah
12-06-2003, 12:19 AM
well.. you could of course "recolor" the skin for the model. All you need is good old MS paint for that, although i suggest something better like photoshop, or whatever you have. :whtsmile:
 jangofett804
12-06-2003, 12:57 PM
Thank you very much.
 Druid Bremen
12-07-2003, 7:01 AM
2. Easy enough. Use key/pair: Spawnflags/2. Works well enough.
 jangofett804
12-07-2003, 3:46 PM
Ah... I do have 1 more question, although it does not have to do with models :confused:

3. How do you add water to a level? (I know it's really general and unspecific, sorry) If anyone could help, that would be great.
 _PerfectAgent_
12-07-2003, 3:51 PM
Okay, just make a brush and apply a water shader (use the yavin ones) to that brush. Make sure that it fills the area you want the water to be in.
 WadeV1589
12-07-2003, 5:54 PM
You don't have to edit a model to re-texture it, surprised Emon didn't know about this.

Select the model and open the entity window, type a key of _remap and a value of *;path/to/my/replacement/texture. This will remap the entire model to use this new texture and it will be visible in Radiant.

You can alternatively re-map specific textures (say the model has 3 different jpg files and you just want to change two.

_remap1 - models/map_objects/original_texture1;path/to/new_texture1
_remap2 - models/map_objects/original_texture2;path/to/new_texture2

This is great for models/map_objects/yavin/yportal.md3 which is used as the yavin sky portal, I re-mapped that in my map to make it look like a desert instead of snow without having to leave Radiant :)
 jangofett804
12-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Okay, just make a brush and apply a water shader (use the yavin ones) to that brush. Make sure that it fills the area you want the water to be in.

erm.. how do i apply a water shader?

thank you all for your help so far BTW
 _PerfectAgent_
12-10-2003, 1:43 AM
Just choose your brush and apply any water texture (most likely its a water shader, use any of them from the Yavin folder), compile and dive in! ;)
 jangofett804
12-10-2003, 2:01 AM
Woohoo! Thanks!
 JoeSolo
12-12-2003, 4:38 PM
Yeh wade thats what i did too. I found that out thru the siege hoth map- for once they gave us one good map.
Page: 1 of 1