Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Day to night?

Page: 1 of 1
 Whitey
11-29-2003, 8:26 AM
Is it possible to use triggers to change the map from day to night? like fliping a switch to change it..
 WadeV1589
11-29-2003, 1:36 PM
Any light entity can be turned on and off, if you make a sun with a light and an info_null, try targetting the sun with a trigger and seeing if it turns it off...that's if it works after compiling because the extra lightmap data could potentially be huge.

For a slow fading effect you can apply a _style to the sun but the same error can potentially occur.
 shukrallah
11-29-2003, 7:27 PM
i was thinking something like, you have 6 lights in a room, you give 2 of them a targetname, pick another 2, and give them a targetname, then make a script that uses the first 2, and then add a wait for like 5-10 seconds, and then it uses the next 2, therefore gradually (also messily) decreasing the light. But what wade said will work too... just using a script could be automatic, and it will come on and off.
 WadeV1589
11-29-2003, 7:32 PM
We're still a way off having a game that can move the sun across the sky ** as that would require dynamic lightmaps.....possible with vertex lit games of course but vertex lighting is never as smooth as lightmapped texture.

**Although the latest video cards fully support this in real time now, visit NVidia.com and view their day to night real time sample video of a high poly gas station.
 shukrallah
11-29-2003, 7:40 PM
well, you can move .efx files around with a script (ive done it) it was my plan for a jetpack in jk2 SP, but well, since ja came out its not really needed. If you made a .efx sun, you could do that, but it would probably kill FPS.
 WadeV1589
11-29-2003, 8:03 PM
It would be a dynamic light, not only would it kill FPS like you said but it also would not cast shadows.
 Whitey
11-29-2003, 9:43 PM
Ah... to confusing for a newbie map maker like me :D . The reason I was wondering was that I made a map a while ago(battlearena) and I have been expanding upon it... And somehow I changed the sky to a night map.. And I think it looks really cool.. Maybe I should just make it 2 differeent maps, one day, and one night...
 shukrallah
11-29-2003, 10:20 PM
yeah, someone did that with their helmsdeep map, the maps were pretty good too... :whtsmile: if you just want the skybox to change, you could do some scripting to make one sky box invisable, and not invisable... if you know scripting.
 Whitey
11-29-2003, 11:25 PM
I can't figure out how to make an elevator... so I doubt I could do that...
Page: 1 of 1