Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Enhanced Ideas: Force Fall

Page: 1 of 1
 NickR
11-27-2003, 10:41 PM
I created a new force power for JK2 back when everyone was making mods for it. If you are falling you can hold down the jump button and using force power slows your decent. I was wondering whether you guys might might like it?
 Samuel Dravis
11-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Interesting. Even has EU support in The Courtship of Princess Leia.
I don't have any "official" weight in this mod, because I have not yet submitted anything. However, perhaps Razorace might be interested in it. An always on cvar based on force jump level or force pool?
 razorace
11-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Seems like a good idea to me.
 NickR
11-28-2003, 1:00 AM
Ok I'll work on a JA version and see if I sort out it out ingame. Just tell me how you want it to work, cvar or menu? And how you want it submitted.
 razorace
11-28-2003, 1:13 AM
I suggest you attach it to a certain level of Force Jump for now. We can worry about more specific intergration later.
 razorace
11-28-2003, 1:18 AM
and for submission, you can just send the changed files to me or we can set you up with the CVS repository so you can add them yourself.
 Samuel Dravis
11-28-2003, 1:26 AM
Remember that people might be purposefully going downwards fast. Make it where they have to jump before it can be activated, or perhaps crouch to deactivate it temporarily.
 Tesla
11-28-2003, 1:34 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Perhaps you could add another power which instead of slowing the fall, you could jump back up from when falling...Force Fall Jump or something. :)
 Samuel Dravis
11-28-2003, 1:37 AM
What we really need is about 40 force powers, most of them nuetral, and always on. Like KotOR's. :D
 NickR
11-28-2003, 1:41 AM
If I remember rightly, you have to tap jump as you are falling to activate Force Fall, but it's been so long since i coded it (2001) I might be wrong. I'm about to test it in JA right now.
 NickR
11-28-2003, 1:43 AM
Speaking of KOTOR, I've order it from Game and it's out next Friday. W00t!

And if I'm right I might be able to code a Force Fall Jump thing.
 Samuel Dravis
11-28-2003, 1:58 AM
you have to tap jump as you are falling to activate Force Fall That's a good solution. I hadn't thought of that...

And about KotOR: Its the best SW game ever made IMO. Best story, best graphics, best voice acting, best saber fighting, coolest force powers, best scenery, etc etc. I could go on for a long time. BTW, it's impossible to play a dark Jedi unless you really are evil. Look here. (http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=282265&forum=76&sp=45) It's pretty funny. Watch out for spoilers though.
 razorace
11-28-2003, 2:47 AM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
Remember that people might be purposefully going downwards fast. Make it where they have to jump before it can be activated, or perhaps crouch to deactivate it temporarily.

That's why the power is activated by pressing jump while falling.
 Emon
11-28-2003, 4:57 AM
You coded for JO in 2001? :eek:
 NickR
11-28-2003, 9:55 PM
Yeah, I helped Dest work out some of the issues with double sabers. We use to hang around in a #jk2coding chat room if I remember. I do remember you Emon and RazorAce, but I changed my nick since then. I was known as Timay, but you porbably don't remember.
 razorace
11-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Ah yes. I'm boycotting IRC. :)
 NickR
11-29-2003, 5:24 PM
I'm thinking now that I'm done with the code, I should zip up my little test mod folder and send it to some of you guys so you can test it and see if you can find bugs that I've missed.

I'm thinking that if we find problems in code that was implemented by one of us, we should contact that person about the problem and ask them to correct it or get permission from them so we can correct the problem ourselves. What do you think?
 razorace
11-29-2003, 5:51 PM
Sure, go ahead and send me the test mod.

As for bug fixes, as per OJP rules, anyone is allowed to modify someone else's work to patch a known bug or make improvements. There's obviously some quality control for this issue so the original authors will probably have priorty in such matters.
 Vile
12-01-2003, 9:51 PM
on this new force power check my new thread and direct ideas there.
 NickR
12-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Razor: Ok then. I'll upload the tech demo to my site and you or anyone else can have a look at it. It will also include the rgb saber color functionality aswell, but since I haven't finished the menus the rgb settings won't be properly position, but they do will work.
 razorace
12-02-2003, 9:23 PM
Ok. Link away.
 Kurgan
12-02-2003, 9:38 PM
You coded for JO in 2001?

I guess he was on the development team of the game then?
 NickR
12-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Sorry, got a bit confused! :) No I didn't work on JO (as a Raven programmer) I was just a modder like you guys. But, one day, maybe...

Anywar, here's the link to my tech demo:
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetunreal/nickr/n1ojptechdemo.rar)
 Emon
12-03-2003, 1:52 AM
We're confused about how you were coding before the game came out.
 razorace
12-03-2003, 2:32 AM
I believe he means the early part of 2002.
 razorace
12-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Ok, I tried out your beta and it's looking pretty good so far. The biggest problem is that you can only start up maps in devmap mode or the game crashes with a "memory can not be 'writen'" error. I hope that's not a feature. :D

I'm also going to suggest that you add float value controls to the RGB menu items. I did it for the player colors and it's very nice for getting the exact color you want. I have the source menu files if you want to see them.

As for getting enough space for the menu items, I think Syrup is correct, you're probably going to have to do a subsection window.
 NickR
12-03-2003, 5:23 PM
Yeah, I'll add a popup subsection, seems the way to go. Can you tell me exactly how you setup your game so I can try and make the crash happen again because I haven't encountered that. Well I have encountered bugs, but then I fix them and they go away.

Razor: About your float value controls. I have ojp basic v003 and it has no float value controls, just the sliders. Am I missing something?
 NickR
12-03-2003, 5:49 PM
I've just tried creating a game via the menus and I didn't get any errors.

Does anyone have any idea for how I should layout the rgb color popup menu and where I should put the buttons that open it? I suck at layout design. :(
 razorace
12-03-2003, 9:02 PM
Originally posted by NickR
Yeah, I'll add a popup subsection, seems the way to go. Can you tell me exactly how you setup your game so I can try and make the crash happen again because I haven't encountered that. Well I have encountered bugs, but then I fix them and they go away.

Razor: About your float value controls. I have ojp basic v003 and it has no float value controls, just the sliders. Am I missing something?

It seems to crash anytime I try to fire up the game without using devmap. Maybe it's something in the older version. Could you get a updated version of the files online? or maybe send me the source files so I can run it in debug mode?

And, yes, you're missing the updated menu files. :D They are on the CVS repository if you want them.
 NickR
12-03-2003, 11:14 PM
The only things I've changed since the build I released is the menu files themselves. I haven't touched the source code.

But anyway. Where is the CVS?
 NickR
12-03-2003, 11:18 PM
BTW, I forgot to mention, that the dlls I included in the release were compiled in DEBUG mode. You can use some of the debug commands ingame, like "debugDropSaber".
 razorace
12-04-2003, 12:23 AM
The CVS repository is at freepository.com. I'll PM my IM information so I can walk you thru the setup.
 NickR
12-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Have you set up a CVS account yet?
 razorace
12-04-2003, 2:00 AM
Yeah, it's up and running. I've been using it for some time now.

The reason why I'm not just letting everyone have the password is because the webpage system is buggy and all new users default to read/write.

It's free hostings, so we take what we can get. :)
 shukrallah
12-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by razorace
Ah yes. I'm boycotting IRC. :)

yeah, the motf irc room is.... gone... or something :confused:
 razorace
12-08-2003, 1:35 PM
Yeah, I don't know what happened to it. We've using IM services now. I recommend MSN messenger.
Page: 1 of 1