Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Wav to Imc Converter

Page: 1 of 1
 EXOTrident
11-25-2003, 8:38 AM
Is it possible for anyone to make one? I'm not that good of a programmer (I can only make dos say hello world, and do simple calculations). This is one thing my group of people have been looking for, and only can find the imc to wav ripper.
 bgbennyboy
11-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Yes, if anyone has the specs handy I *could*

By that I mean, I'm too lazy/C++ illiterate to read the residual sourceĀ¬
 EXOTrident
11-25-2003, 6:00 PM
Well the source code to Scumm Rev was released a long time ago with the code, but that seems to have disappeard for the moment.
 bgbennyboy
11-26-2003, 9:36 AM
I didnt think that the version of ScummRev2 in the released source supported imc's. Then again, i'm probably wrong, I'll have a look later.
 EXOTrident
11-26-2003, 2:22 PM
Yea, I got the latest version, but didn't get a chance to download the source code though :(
 bgbennyboy
11-29-2003, 9:47 AM
The imc souce in scummrev contains a chunk of assembly, therefore it frightens and confuses me.

Your best bet is to get someone to use the imc stuff from the residual source to knock one up then.
 john_doe
11-29-2003, 7:03 PM
You wouldn't have to compress the data, just convert it to 12bit and write uncompressed chunks and the header and all the stuff.
 Serge
12-02-2003, 2:09 PM
If we get to talk sometime, bg, I can give you the properly written code - non-assembly. :) And in "THE NEW WW CODING STANDARD" - without nasty user interface mixed completely into the non-platform-specific code :)

But then... I guess by now you don't need it ;)

- Serge
 EXOTrident
12-03-2003, 2:53 PM
I would really appreciate it if someone made one... hell I would be very tempted to pay 50 bucks or more just to get someone to program a free version of it for the XWA, and other communities to use.
 jannar85
12-04-2003, 7:52 AM
Originally posted by EXOTrident
I would really appreciate it if someone made one... hell I would be very tempted to pay 50 bucks or more just to get someone to program a free version of it for the XWA, and other communities to use.
If you pay Serge $50, I know he'll do it right away ;)
Bribes are good... :)
 Serge
12-05-2003, 1:57 PM
I would do it for free if I had the time, obviously. Right now, lots of exams, and a different SCUMM-related project, so... Not much time. Won't be before christmas, at the very least.

- Serge
 Serge
12-08-2003, 4:08 PM
Or maybe it would...

I hope you DO mean .IMC (as used in Grim Fandango - I don't have XWA) and not .IMX (as used in CMI)

Actually, wrote a compressor for .IMC over the past two days. It takes any amount of 16 bit wave files and converts them to .IMC, complete with iMUS, MAP headers etc. It's all explained in the readme.txt.

Uploading it now. Licensed on GPL.

See further down for links (the ones that used to be in this post are outdated)
 Serge
12-08-2003, 4:14 PM
More on that issue...

IF we're talking GF .IMC, it's NOT 12 bit, as Ben suggested, but rather a variable bit rate compression scheme. More on that in the readme.txt also.

Tomas, please add it to LucasHacks! if you feel like it, don't intend to keep it on the university server.

There are still things to do on it, obviously, it was written quite quickly. Tested it with 5 or 6 different songs and it performed quite nicely (with compression ratios around 3:1 - a good deal better than .zip at least, but then, VIMA is lossy).

It introduces most artifacts with audio containing quick, short bursts (such as fast drum beats), but not so much that it's noticable by someone who didn't hear the original ;)

- Serge
 Serge
12-08-2003, 4:17 PM
If it was IMX you meant, my first reply stands. It'll have to wait till after christmas ;)

And bg: See! Did as you suggested! ;)
 Serge
12-09-2003, 10:24 AM
No reply? Good then, I take that to mean noone's downloaded it. The version I posted yesterday had a bug, which meant that though the output files would play fine in SCUMMRev, Grim Fandango would ignore them. So, putting up a new version now, which certainly works for GF (tested with Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party replacing the music for Manny's Office - which also proved that GF plays 44.1kHz music files just fine).

.exe: http://www.stud.hum.ku.dk/jimmith/VIMA_1.0.1.12.zip)
Source: http://www.stud.hum.ku.dk/jimmith/VIMAsource_1.0.1.12.zip)

- Serge
 bgbennyboy
12-13-2003, 3:21 PM
I shall try it just as soon as my monitor at home gets replaced.

Nice one Serge, this is quality.
 Serge
12-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Oh, the format used for EMI voices is quite the same (the WVC files, not the AIFF ones ;)), although it's just a compressed RIFF WAVE file, rather than a compressed iMUSE digital file. So, could add support for EMI output too. Next year.

- Serge
 bgbennyboy
12-21-2003, 9:15 PM
Excellent stuff, it works great and it comes with the source as a christmas bonus!

Well done that man.
 vegg33
11-26-2007, 6:35 PM
Excellent stuff, it works great and it comes with the source as a christmas bonus!

Well done that man.
Was just wondering if anyone can tell me or direct me to a program that converts wav files into imc files. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Page: 1 of 1