Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Knights of the Old Republic.....Mods??

Page: 1 of 1
 eidospsogos
11-23-2003, 9:39 PM
okay, first i know that technically this does not belong here. but i have searched google for hours and can find no suitable forums. biowares official forum does not allow discussion of modding kotor, so this is a last resort. (though i have gotten most of my most useful replies from this very forum board)

does anyone know why, when neverwinter knights is so mod-friendly, kotor would be so d@mn restrictive with this? second does anyone know anything about a toolset or a tutorial helping to get into the textures/skins.

i am primarily into skinning and from the screenshots i saw i couldn't wait to start messing around with their skins, but i cannot figure out how to get into them. i tried the tools release for NWN, but to little avail.

so does anyone know of a mod board/forum/site for this game? and if not does anyone know how to get into the goodies? ? :)
 eidospsogos
11-23-2003, 11:40 PM
and this is really not a question involving an in-depth mod of any sort. i just want to get to the skins. :)
 Wudan
11-24-2003, 7:50 PM
Do we have Kotor forums here? Go ask in THOSE forums, thx.

Don't take this the wrong way, but we wouldn't know.
 razorace
11-25-2003, 5:25 AM
My guess is that it's due to the way that the game is A) made for the X-Box, B) made by LEC.
 eidospsogos
11-25-2003, 11:36 AM
uhm, no there are no Kotor forums. and this game is for the PC. i don't own an xbox. and it is made by bioware.
 Tito
11-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by eidospsogos
uhm, no there are no Kotor forums. and this game is for the PC. i don't own an xbox. and it is made by bioware.

There IS a KOTOR Forum: http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=321!)

The game was released for Xbox a long time ago... Around three months ago, or more I believe... The PC version is an "retouched" version with better graphics and such...

Bioware made the game, but LEC is the "owner" (distributor) of the game!
 eidospsogos
11-25-2003, 12:21 PM
well i realize lucasarts sells the rights to their material, but the game was made by bioware. lucasarts should have nothing to do with the restriction on modding however, as mods for their other games are almost fully supported.

and yes i knew it came out for the xbox first, but i was not asking about modding the xbox version. i was asking about the pc version. since it is built on the Neverwinter Nights engine it should be possible to mod.

but thanks alot for the link to th kotor forum. guess i didn't look hard enough. sorry to post off topic.
 Wudan
11-25-2003, 12:49 PM
It's completely against the EULA for KOTOR, as far as I'm aware, which is why Bioware allows no discussion of modding at their forums.

When you use software, you're making an agreement not to use it in a way other than what the maker intends. For JO or JA, modding is an intended purpose laid out by the EULA.

Sadly, the number of legally mod'able' games is diminishing, which means that the good intentions of modders will put them in the category of 'undesirables' - like hackers, except instead of trying to take down computers and networks and gather sensitive info, you're really just trying to create game content.
 eidospsogos
11-25-2003, 3:28 PM
i read over the eula for both games, and they seemed very similar in content. the parts about all material being the intellectual property of so and and so on and so forth are in the eula of the games being modded and having supported mods on this site.

I decided to have a look through, and I found a couple of points :

You may not: (2) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software; 5) design or distribute unauthorized levels; or (6) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software.

but this is standard in practically every eula for every game out there and no one is shutting the mods for these games down. and i am not interested in new levels or plotlines, or their software. i just want to mees with the skins. that is not infringing upon Luasarts' intellectual property at all. anymore so than messing with the skins for JO or JA is.
 razorace
11-25-2003, 6:32 PM
Yeah, I noticed that in the JK2 EULA. It means that LEC doesn't change the thing very much. Plus, it's old and not relivent to current technilogy. In one particular clause, it makes it so you can't legally distribute the SDK over the internet....even thou that's exactly what Raven did. :D
 Samuel Dravis
11-28-2003, 1:15 AM
I compared the KotOR license to JA's.

I find that it's interesting how it says you may not (KotOR's):
(3) Transmit the Software over a network, by telephone, or electronically by any means, except in the course of your network multiplayer play of the Software over authorized networks; (4) engage in matchmaking for multiplayer play over unauthorized networks; This is present in JA's also.

Looks like the only difference is the part where it says(KotOR's):
You may use the Software on a single computer. You may not: copy (other for backup purposes), (JA's):
You may use the Software on a single computer. You may not: copy, distribute, rent, lease

So the both of them are exactly the same. Why isn't everyone being arrested for modding JA?
 eidospsogos
11-28-2003, 2:33 AM
that was my thought exactly. i tried to bring this topic up at the bioware forums but everytime i posted they locked the post.
Page: 1 of 1