Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Portal Problems

Page: 1 of 1
 Mr. Chopper
11-22-2003, 5:08 PM
How do I keep a lid on the number of portals I have in a map? When I compile it says it's using like 65 MB of memory to do the portals and it's taking forever to compile. Do I need hint brushes to fix this? Where/How do I place them? :confused:
 WadeV1589
11-22-2003, 6:31 PM
You need to make brushes detail, a tutorial can be found here http://www.nibsworld.com/rtcw/tutorial_detail_and_hint_brushes_part1.shtml)
 Mr. Chopper
11-22-2003, 6:38 PM
I've already done that, and I think it's done about as much good as it's going to... :(
 idontlikegeorge
11-22-2003, 7:11 PM
Have you loaded up the portal file in Gtk? Should look at that, and see if you can optimize your structural brushes in places there are portals that aren't really needed.

You may also raise the block the engine default makes portals at (whatever it's called), which I think is set default to 1024 units.
 WadeV1589
11-22-2003, 8:01 PM
"_blocksize" "2048 2048 2048" in worldspawn.

Also if you make everything you possibly can detail in a level then I guarantee you it will compile fast, unless it covers the entire grid in high detail of course (bad anyhow).
Page: 1 of 1