Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

LightWave modelling

Page: 1 of 1
 KissMyGrits
11-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Somebody HAS to model in LightWave. I can't be the only one. If anybody here has experience with modelling for JKA in LW please let me know. For that matter if there's a LW thread I missed feel free to direct me to it. ;)
 Psyk0Sith
11-19-2003, 2:39 AM
You can model in any 3d software...but in the end you will need 3D max 4.0+ to rig and export the mesh.
 Emon
11-20-2003, 12:18 AM
Not if the other software can export to dotXSI.
 Psyk0Sith
11-20-2003, 5:20 PM
Of course and you could use softimage XSI too...as long as the skin modifier is similar.

Most of the models out there were exported with max 4.x+ so i guess you'll have better chances using that. Feel free to experiment.
 jodonnell
11-22-2003, 7:42 PM
Lightwave modeller here...

Unfortunately, player models with Lightwave seem like a nightmare - the exporting between LW and either MS3D or 3DS causes all kinds of scale mismatches. Also, all the sample files available are in 3DS format. On top of that, I don't think weights assigned in Modeller export out to 3DS files (that is, if you could even find the right skeletal structure.) It looks like making custom player models will be made more difficult if you want to use LW.

However, you can make custom weapons with LW quite easily. I've made several so far. If you need help on using LW and MS3D for weapons, PM me and I'll help you out.

Cheers,

James
 KissMyGrits
11-23-2003, 3:22 AM
Well all I'm really worried about is the model itself. If I can do the modelling in LW as one whole object then just bring it into 3ds max and break it up, that should be fine...
 Andy867
11-30-2003, 4:13 AM
I think monsoontide does most of his modelling in Lightwave.
 jodonnell
12-02-2003, 4:31 PM
Well, you CAN do all of your modelling in Lightwave. However, scale differences and such will mean a lot of pain and suffering when importing to 3DS. If you're brave (and possibly masochistic :P) you certainly can try though. I'd suggest starting with a simple <100 poly character to get a handle on tags and suhc, though; before you try a real project.

Cheers,

James
 tarafudge
12-13-2003, 4:39 PM
Hey guys with the proper plugins gmax works just as good as 3ds max. This way you don't need to pay all that money for alot of features you won't even use.

I got a model comming out soon, its gonna blow away jk3files.com.
 Psyk0Sith
12-13-2003, 8:17 PM
Well its about time. :)
Page: 1 of 1