Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

IMORTANT and easy mod question

Page: 1 of 1
 MasterSidious
11-12-2003, 2:45 AM
Umm, I was following the mod making tutorial that comes with the JO source code and what does it mean when it says makes the dll (into what directory) and how do i run it? Thanks :D
 razorace
11-12-2003, 9:21 AM
Ok, you have to place the .dlls in their own folder in the /gamedata and then run the jk2mp.exe with the following arguements:

+set fs_cdpath "yourgamedir\GameData" - Makes the game treat this directory as the root directory. It will look for everything starting in this directory.

+set fs_game "yourfolder" - sets the game folder to load stuff out of in addition to everything in the /base folder

+set vm_game 0 +set vm_cgame 0 +set vm_ui 0 - Sets all of the game components to run in .dll mode if they can. After you get into the game, you can check to see if the .dlls loaded by checking the related cvars. 1 should mean to it loaded correctly.

Please note that I could never get the client side (cgame) to ever run in .dll mode. I beleive it is a bug in the game.

Your command line should look something like this:

jk2mp.exe +set fs_cdpath "D:\Games\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData" +set fs_game "MotF_Test" +set vm_game 0 +set vm_cgame 0 +map FFA_bespin
 RenegadeOfPhunk
11-12-2003, 9:26 AM
I can get all the .dll's to run - but I remember I did have problems initially.

I believe the problem was that one of the dll's need to be given a different name to the one specified in the help. (Or was it the name produced by the default VS project file?! Hmm - can't remember - this is going back a bit...!)

...anyway, I'll refresh my memory when I get home and hopefully give you a better answer!
 MasterSidious
11-12-2003, 7:55 PM
Where do you type the "arguments" for the jk2mp.exe? I have tried typing them in the console but it doesn't work (I know i'm a noobie but I'm learning ;) ) So, how do I change the jk2mp.exe arguments? Thanks

BTW I have windows XP so how do I open a dos window?

BTW, can you make mods on Windows 98?
 razorace
11-12-2003, 11:18 PM
in the Start->run menu. I suggest creating a bat file if you're planning on running things in .dll mode freqently.
 MasterSidious
11-13-2003, 2:49 AM
Do you use a command promt?
 razorace
11-13-2003, 4:20 AM
Well, you can if you want but I didn't.
 MasterSidious
11-13-2003, 1:59 PM
Then where do you write the cmd line? Do you change the jk2mp.exe icon and if so how? I'm sorry but this is my first time at this :)
 razorace
11-13-2003, 4:29 PM
In the run menu, from the command prompt, or in the "target" field of the shortcuts. It doesn't matter.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
11-13-2003, 5:23 PM
...as far as the .dll names, here are the ones that work for me:

GAME DLL
------------
jk2mpgamex86.dll

CGAME DLL
--------------
cgamex86.dll

UI DLL
--------
uix86.dll

...good luck :)
 razorace
11-13-2003, 6:17 PM
Doesn't the SDK default to those outputs? Is the cgame code misspelled or something?
 RenegadeOfPhunk
11-13-2003, 7:05 PM
...can't remember what the defaults are.

To be honest, I thought is was the game .dll I had to change the name of rather than the cgame, but I'd have to re-download the original code to find out. If someone could just post what the default names are, that would be easier... :)
 razorace
11-13-2003, 7:23 PM
Well from my experience, it was the game component that worked fine and the cgame that didn't. A simple misspelling would explain everything. :)
 MasterSidious
11-14-2003, 5:15 PM
Ok, so I get everything but it says "Windows cannot find 'jk2mp.exe' ..." and I know I didn't change the name of the program. So, here's the specifics of what I'm working with:
1. I press f7 and there's no errors or warnings and it makes three new files in the "Final" folder
2. I cut and paste all three files from the "Final" folder to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\nolimits (this is not my cd directory)
3. then I put the command line "jk2mp.exe +set fs_cdpath "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData" +set fs_game "nolimits" +set vm_game 0 +set vm_cgame 0 +map FFA_bespin" in the "Run" program from the "Start" menu and it says what I wrote it says up above
4. I have also tried everything until up to step 2 and put the command line "jk2mp.exe +set fs_cdpath "D:\GAMEDATA\GameData" +set fs_game "nolimits" +set vm_game 0 +set vm_cgame 0 +map FFA_bespin"

What am I doing wrong?

BTW, in your sample cmd line is the cd_path your cd directory and should I actually put the "nolimits" folder under the D:\GAMEDATA\GameData directory?

razorace
11-14-2003, 6:42 PM
You need to add the full directory address of your jk2mp.exe. And the fs_cdpath is for the gamedata directory on your harddrive like I showed.

In your case it should probably be....

"C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2mp.exe" +set fs_cdpath "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData" +set viewlog 1 +set fs_game "nolimits" +set vm_game 0 +set vm_cgame 0 +map FFA_bespin
 MasterSidious
11-14-2003, 9:43 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Now I can mod :D
 razorace
11-15-2003, 3:46 AM
You're welcome.
 razorace
12-10-2009, 1:12 PM
You're welcome, but there's no need to zombie thread. :)
Page: 1 of 1