Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Unanswered questions...

Page: 1 of 1
 LainTora
11-11-2003, 6:16 PM
I have poked around in this forum, but I don't have my questions answered (I wish the "search" function worked):

1) In simple terms, what tools does someone need to map in "Jedi Academy"?

2) Is it possible to take an unfinished "Jedi Outcast" MP map and import it into a "Jedi Academy" map?

I started creating a large MP map for JO (urban setting) but never did finish it. However, I have been inspired again to work on it (thanks to the Corellia and Coruscant levels), but I would like to make it for JA. I had stepped away from mapping and I want to get back into it. I would appreciate any guidance of what I need for tools. And if there is any way to import or copy portions or all of my map into JA, that would be fantastic.

Please help.

- LainTora -
"a confused mapper"
 LordP
11-11-2003, 6:22 PM
1) In simple terms, what tools does someone need to map in "Jedi Academy"?

You need the latest version of GTK Radiant. These can be found here... http://www.qeradiant.com/?data=files&files_dir=3)

You also need a program called Pakscape to put your map into pk3 format. You don't need to worry about this however, untill you are ready to distribute it to friends/on the internet.

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/pakscape_new.zip)
 wedge2211
11-11-2003, 6:56 PM
And in regards to #2...just open your "JO" .map file in GtkRadiant and when you compile, use the -game ja switch to make the BSP file work best with Academy.
 GothiX
11-12-2003, 6:37 AM
And pakscape isn't needed. Even WinZip will do.
 LainTora
11-13-2003, 8:21 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
And in regards to #2...just open your "JO" .map file in GtkRadiant and when you compile, use the -game ja switch to make the BSP file work best with Academy.

Ummm... what? :confused: I assume this has to be done due to textures, etc. are not valid in JA?

Thank you for your help.

P.S. Would someone be able to answer other questions I have regarding mapping (by e-mail, IRC, an IM program, etc.)? Or should I just post those too? For example, brushes and making them detail versus just normal, etc. I have the ideas, but I am lacking on the "know how". ;)
 idontlikegeorge
11-13-2003, 8:46 PM
Basically, he is just saying to have the compiler set to -game ja to put use to any special additions in Academy - although I don't think this is necessary at all, if you just have your Gtk set to Academy mapping anyway!

If you have the .map files, just load them up, and you'll probably have to re-texture the map, and/or move a bunch of textures over also.
Page: 1 of 1