Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy returns!

Page: 1 of 1
 MJ
11-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Nothing to do with Nightlight, but something I'm sure many of us would be interested in. :)

Production has begun on the "tertiary phase" of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, radio adaptations of the third, fourth and fifth books in the late Douglas Adams' landmark series of novels chronicling the adventures of everyday Earthman Arthur Dent and his intergalactic pals. Adams, who passed away in 2001, had spent time as Doctor Who's script editor back in the 1970's; the third novel, "Life the Universe and Everything" was an adaptation of his aborted film script "Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen". According to the BBC Cult site, episodes are being taped and will begin airing on Radio 4 in the spring of 2004. The independent company Above The Title gained the rights to adapt Adams' novels; the six-part adapation of "Life" will be aired in the spring, and an eight-part combined adaptation of "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" and "Mostly Harmless" follows late in 2004. Says Adams biographer M.J. Simpson, "People have been talking for years about a feature film or a new radio series, but for both to be announced within a month of each other is, to coin a phrase, infinitely improbable," referring to recent plans for a film adaptation as well. The series is written by Dirk Maggs (who's written previous radio serials featuring Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and Judge Dredd, plus several Agatha Christie serials via Above the Title). The five main cast members have reunited for the radio drama: Simon Jones (Arthur Dent), Geoffrey McGivern (Ford Prefect), Mark Wing-Davey (Zaphod Beeblebrox), Susan Sheridan (Trillian) and Stephen Moore (Marvin), joined by the original radio series' announcer John Marsh. Also cast are William Franklyn (the Book), replacing the late Peter Jones, and Richard Griffiths (Slartibartfast). Adams himself will appear as Agrajag (a cameo he favoured playing) thanks to recordings made for Dove Audio's unabridged book readings. No word on how Maggs will dovetail the new drama into the previous series (it ended in a very different place than the second book, "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe," did)... but of course, with Hitchhikers, anything is possible. One downside: Paddy Kingsland apparently mentioned at Panopticon that he wouldn't be a part of the new radio series. "Every sci-fi fan wants their old show to be reborn," says Simpson. "Fans of Doctor Who have a new series to look forward to, and Thunderbirds fans have a feature film – but Hitchhiker’s Guide fans have both."
 Huz
11-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Woo, this is good - shame there will be no Peter Jones, Paddy Kingsland or BBC Radiophonic Workshop though!
 MJ
11-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Should be close enough though. The only thing I'm worried about is... the fourth and fifth books weren't crash hot. :(
 Jazhara7
11-07-2003, 4:32 PM
The thing I'm worried about, is the fact that I can't listen to it.

I don't think we get that radio channel in Germany...

- :cry6: :cry6: :cry6: :cry6: :cry6: :cry6: :cry6:
 MJ
11-07-2003, 8:52 PM
I believe something like that will find it's way to CD (or for download on the internet at various places, if you know where to look... :))
 Huz
11-07-2003, 9:56 PM
You can listen to all of the BBC radio stations on the internet, so that shouldn't be a problem!
 Jazhara7
11-08-2003, 9:59 AM
Can you post a link, Huz?

Thanks!

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
 MJ
11-08-2003, 10:17 AM
BBC Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/index.shtml?logo)

That's the link. You go there and click on the 'listen live' button and you can listen to the radio station. Be warned though, Hitch Hiker's won't be on for a long while. :)
 Jazhara7
11-08-2003, 5:29 PM
Thanks anyway, 8 of 12!

MeddlingMonk
11-09-2003, 7:15 AM
Originally posted by 8 of 12
Should be close enough though. The only thing I'm worried about is... the fourth and fifth books weren't crash hot. :(

Not to mention the fact that the books and the radio series go off in wildly different directions after the gang leaves Milliways. They cross paths every now and then, but each version of H2G2 contradicts all the others. Go stick your head in a pig.
 MJ
11-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Exactly. Share and enjoy. :D
 Holdios
11-09-2003, 3:20 PM
Oh man this is beautiful. I've been waiting for a radio play of these. I'm so excited! I agree and the last few were deffinetely not my favorite. Still great, but not nearly as good as the first and Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Man I can't wait! :D
 LiMP RABBiT
11-09-2003, 7:04 PM
i havent started mostly harmless yet but i must admit, the books did go somewhat downhill after the first two.
 LiMP RABBiT
11-09-2003, 7:06 PM
Its such a bummer that he was just starting the final book when he died. Poor guy....
 MJ
11-09-2003, 9:05 PM
No, not really. They released part of the book he was writing when he died, it was a Dirk Gently book, not a Hitch Hiker's book.
 LiMP RABBiT
11-10-2003, 2:46 PM
You sure... I was watching 'The Big Read' about H2G2 just before writing that. They said he had justed on the final part.
 Jazhara7
11-10-2003, 4:10 PM
The Book 8 of 12 is talking about is "The Salmon of Doubt". A Dirk Gently Book.

I read it. Before the story starts, there are a lot of DNA's shorter stories or texts in the beginning.
And the story suddenly ends...

Page: 1 of 1