Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dewback W.I.P. Updates

Page: 1 of 2
 monsoontide
11-06-2003, 3:59 AM
At Duncan's request I'm starting a new thread exclusively for the Dewback vehicle. Here you'll find the latest pictures, be able to give feedback and apply for Beta testing.
As we make more progress on the other models they too will get their own thread.

As of now, Duncan_10158 has it in-game and animated but it's early days yet and there's still planty to do - the major thing at the moment is its about half the size it should be.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_ingame1.jpg)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_ingame2.jpg)

Also started yet another creature model today :P
Will post pictures of it (In the main vehicle thread) when I have more of it complete

Monsoontide
 Tesla
11-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Wow, that is Awesome !!! :D
Send it my way Please !!! :D (tesla@xtremegamesinc.com)
 tFighterPilot
11-06-2003, 11:13 AM
WOW, can't wait :D

Looks just like the real thing

Keep up the good job!
 GothiX
11-06-2003, 11:16 AM
How sweet, a dewback midget version! :D
 kmd
11-06-2003, 2:54 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awsome work
 tFighterPilot
11-06-2003, 3:32 PM
Originally posted by gothicX
How sweet, a dewback midget version! :D That could be quite a problem, unless you can make a new animation for riding, the animals should be small enough.
 Casper
11-06-2003, 8:34 PM
I will beta for you it would look great in my mod too when all of these vehicles are done
 Duncan_10158
11-07-2003, 9:28 AM
I suggested Monsoontide to open this thread to discuss the problems of the Dewback. as the the Dewback is set up now it is an >animal class< vehicle like the tauntaun. there are still lots of things we need to figure out about this vehicle class so we can set up the Dewback correctly to it.

just to make it clear, Monsoontide is choosing the beta testers, but i think if you help us to figure out how the animal class vehicles work, your chances could rise ;)

we need to know wich of the animal class animation sequences seen in ModView are realy in game. you can open tauntaun in modview and compare it with the one game.

the sounds, how can we change them to dewback? does it work? if there is someone good at finding or making new sounds for the dewback?

if you find out something new about the animal class vehicles, for ex. a new cool setting in the veh file, post it.

once again, the more things you find out about animal class vehicles, the higher your chances for beta testing it ;)
 ninja
11-07-2003, 3:23 PM
great idea. but is it we only can play it in siege games?
 monsoontide
11-07-2003, 5:43 PM
Vehicles can be spawned in ANY type of game. However, RAVEN really only used vehicles in SP and SIEGE. It's up to the custom map makers to include the new vehicles in their maps, whatever the type may be.

As far as BETA testing there will be 6 positions available with the first slots being offered to those who have tested before (And sent feedback!)

NO positions are being taken YET! - The model isn't quite ready ;)
 shukrallah
11-07-2003, 6:51 PM
The detail and shape of the model look great, the only problem is, like you said, its too small. But it does look great. You guys are doing a nice job. Very nice :D
 DarkLord60
11-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Its looking good! too bad about legs going through dewback
 tFighterPilot
11-10-2003, 3:05 PM
If you'll need a beta tester, know that I'm here. :)
 monsoontide
11-10-2003, 3:38 PM
O.K. Duncan resized it and it looks a lot better.
A lot of it comes down to the vehicle file though.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_ingame3.jpg)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_ingame4.jpg)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_ingame5.jpg)

There's not much more I can do...
So, I'm gonna open up 7 (SEVEN) positions ONLY for Beta testing.
That is proper (& extensive) testing and reporting. All testers will have a week to test with reports due back by 18th November.

If you would like to Beta test. PM me. I will pick by preference those who have already tested properly for me.
Then I will post a list of testers here.
Testers will recieve the Dewback vehicle and a quick note of things I am looking for in testing.
Depending on the level of feedback & how much needs to be changed/fixed - expect a release the following weekend.
 KHaRMa
11-10-2003, 4:55 PM
LoL a Dewback on the roof :eek: !!
 GothiX
11-10-2003, 5:01 PM
That skin looks awfully pinkish.
 DarkLord60
11-11-2003, 1:56 AM
It does look alittle pink but I could live with it
 kmd
11-11-2003, 2:09 AM
i dont really see to much pink, but all pics ont he internet are dark to me becuase of my dinosor moniter
 monsoontide
11-11-2003, 3:33 AM
Current Beta Testers are:
SunBuRn
Kengo
Pnut_Master
KMD
LightNinja

Still Have two positions open if anyone wants them...

If they aren't filled tomorrow, then I'll close it and send out the Dewback.

Thanks Guys :D
 kmd
11-11-2003, 12:43 PM
i'll wake a position...beta testing, and when is this date you want replys back? shadowassasin2050@yahoo.com
 tFighterPilot
11-11-2003, 1:07 PM
I'll take a postion.
 Casper
11-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Nym259@hotmail.com And I have done a beta for you in the past beta so I'am in
 TK-8252
11-13-2003, 1:34 AM
Wow! Someone made what I requested! Can't wait for some new Tatooine maps. Bring on the Sandtroopers!
 monsoontide
11-13-2003, 3:48 AM
(Alphabetical)

gothicX (need e-mail)
imyourfather (need e-mail)
kengo (need e-mail)
kmd (need e-mail)
lightninja
nym
pnut_master (need e-mail)

If you haven't done so already - please PM me your e-mail where you would like the file sent. Currently looks like only two of you will get it tonight :(

Expect e-mail, instructions & a testing bonus!!! :D

Please post all responses to this thread - so everyone can see what's going on - Thus I won't get 7 e-mails telling me the same thing ;)

Thanks guys hope you enjoy it.
Testing finishes Sunday 16th November. Not much time I know but there shouldn't be too much to do ;)
Please have all you feedback in by then.

My appologies to any who applied and didn't make it. Strictly first come first served.
 monsoontide
11-13-2003, 5:47 AM
Nym & Lightninja - you should have your files by now. If they didn't get to you let me know ASAP. :cool:

The rest of you need to PM me details on where you want me to send the files!:eek:

:mauls: :wan:
 kmd
11-13-2003, 11:37 AM
well i gave you my e-mail a few posts up, edited my original post, any way i pmed you too
 monsoontide
11-13-2003, 1:50 PM
kmd & gothicX should find the files in your e-mail in the next 30 mins. Let me know if they don't show up.

BTW: As there have apparently been problems around the place with people pinching BETA material and releasing it, Just a friendly reminder to ALL testers :D - Should these BETA models be released in any form I will have to take swift & appropriate action. - though I know you won't let me down ;)

Also apparently with the Jedi Academy update patch, the vehicles (starships) are much more controlable! :D
 GothiX
11-13-2003, 3:11 PM
DING DING DING DING DING

This one's in, expect a detailed report after I finished dinner and testing! :D
 kmd
11-13-2003, 3:42 PM
I got it, and well for some reason, I cant spawn them in mp, I don’t know why, so I spawned a tauntaun, and sure enough it worked... i don't know why, oh well, so i couldnt really play around with the n1 star fighter since it would spawn in mp, so i did the dewback in sp, and what i could with the n1 in sp as well.

Dewback-----------

1. The back two legs are a wee bit skinny, below the knee, and look a little clunky.

2. There is no real animation for the feet when walking, they are stiff as boards, and it makes it look a little funny.

3. I can see what those guys are talking about now, saying it is a little too pink, a darker color, maybe a light tan would work

4. a little bug with the saber, if I have my e-11 when I get on it, then switch to my staff, or dual bladed sabers, I can only get one side of my saber, or one saber to work. But when I have my staff out both ends drawn, it works fine.

5. The health on the dewback doesn’t really move, if I shoot it with a concussion blast, then get on it, it shows no change in health, I noticed that it takes five conc blasts to down the thing, but when I shoot it with four, I still see no change in health when I get on it.

n1_mst

1. In sp I know it should really work well, so I don’t have much to say about it, cept the handling is great, wouldn’t change it, maybe it’s the just new patch, but it handles well, and looks really good, great modeling job.

2. for some reason, when trying to approach it, I cant get ten feet away and it acts like I am toughing it, or their is a force field around it not letting me near it, weird.
I will try again to get them to work in mp, maybe it’s just my game, I don’t know, but I will keep trying ;)... PS: it was hard trying to find something wrong with the dewback, it's a great model, and so is the n1!
 tFighterPilot
11-13-2003, 3:54 PM
4. a little bug with the saber, if I have my e-11 when I get on it, then switch to my staff, or dual bladed sabers, I can only get one side of my saber, or one saber to work. But when I have my staff out both ends drawn, it works fine. That's how it is in all of the vehicles.

2. for some reason, when trying to approach it, I cant get ten feet away and it acts like I am toughing it, or their is a force field around it not letting me near it, weird. Easy to fix, you just need to alter the width in both the .npc and .veh files(.veh has both width and lenth)
I will try again to get them to work in mp, maybe it’s just my game, I don’t know, but I will keep trying ;)... PS: it was hard trying to find something wrong with the dewback, it's a great model, and so is the n1! [/B][/QUOTE]
 GothiX
11-13-2003, 4:22 PM
O..k..

As for the dewback:

Nice model, the skin just looks off.. as mentioned before, I think it's too pink. Big error I noticed was how only the front left leg and rear right leg blocked shots and showed scorchmarks! My shots went through the rest of its body! Also, the animation when it was running (Alt fire) was too slow compared to how fast I moved, while the riders animation went too fast. I like this model though, has some great potential.

For the N1:

Way too slow, but yeah, that can be fixed. Big error I noticed: When you crash; you spawn some X-Wing parts! The skin is spot-on, except for the chrome, but i think I can solve that myself perhaps. Don't count on it though. The model could be sized a tad bit bigger, 20% or something, but it's nice.

Also - they worked in both MP and SP, I use version 1.01.

I'll be testing some more, any bugs will be reported immediately.

Good luck,

-GothiX
 tFighterPilot
11-13-2003, 4:39 PM
Big error I noticed: When you crash; you spawn some X-Wing parts!That's because of the exploasion's FX. In my Snow Speeder, I made a new .efx file, based on the z-95 exploasion .efx, and without all of the flying parts. The skin is spot-on, except for the chrome, but i think I can solve that myself perhaps. Don't count on it though. The model could be sized a tad bit bigger, 20% or something, but it's nice.
If it would be bigger, the rider's legs will be more inside the dewback's body.
 kmd
11-13-2003, 4:55 PM
i am still trying to get it to work in mp, but when you giys got it in your e-mail, did it come as just a pk3 file, or as this

gamedata/
models/
modelsplayers/
modelsplayervehicles/

and bla bla, i looked in all of these folders and didnt find a .pk3 for the dewback or n1, so i just exstracted everything..that may be the problem, but that doesnt tell me why it would work in sp still, hmmm, i will keep on it and maybe post back with some more thoughts
 GothiX
11-13-2003, 5:00 PM
Originally posted by imyourfather
If it would be bigger, the rider's legs will be more inside the dewback's body.
If he makes the N-1 bigger, my legs get stuck in the dewback?! :p

Originally posted by kmd
i am still trying to get it to work in mp, but when you giys got it in your e-mail, did it come as just a pk3 file, or as this

gamedata/
models/
modelsplayers/
modelsplayervehicles/

and bla bla, i looked in all of these folders and didnt find a .pk3 for the dewback or n1, so i just exstracted everything..that may be the problem, but that doesnt tell me why it would work in sp still, hmmm, i will keep on it and maybe post back with some more thoughts

I got 2 pk3's. Play an unpure server!
 kmd
11-13-2003, 5:14 PM
i got it working!!!!!!!!!!!!! any way, the n1 is just as pretty as they can get, but she is way to slow, and when my wing gets damiged, it spins around even though every thing else is on green, so basicly i am down right after get hit the first time
 riovu
11-13-2003, 8:52 PM
Nice model moon i really like your models by the way when do u think its gonna be released??
 monsoontide
11-13-2003, 9:37 PM
I made the N1 REALLY REALLY slow, so you'd have a few seconds to look at it & fire a rocket or two before crashing! ;)
 kmd
11-13-2003, 10:11 PM
well make it a bit faster..for final release
 monsoontide
11-14-2003, 12:36 AM
Don't forget if you want a better look at the Dewback animations, you can always open it in ModView.

imyourfather - I still need your e-mail if you want to test.
 LightNinja
11-14-2003, 1:28 PM
vehicle extensions (*.veh) are too large
mmh, how i go in game if it put this when i put the files on /base and try to enter in the game? :confused:
 kmd
11-14-2003, 2:28 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
Don't forget if you want a better look at the Dewback animations, you can always open it in ModView.

imyourfather - I still need your e-mail if you want to test. well now you know wee are good for it, and will post back with our thoughts next time you have a beta, you know who you can trust :cool:
 GothiX
11-14-2003, 2:30 PM
That means you exceeded the amount of vehicles (12) the game can have. Stupid code.
 LightNinja
11-14-2003, 6:55 PM
Ok, i tested the two models.
------
Dewback

-The dewback is really well done, and animations/sounds too, but i think that it is a little too fat and slow, but is really good. I think that it needs a reskin cuz that colors dont make the animal look like a real lizard; that pink at that green/yellow..

Naboo starfighter

-Well, the n1 is well done, but it is very, veeeeery slow, you should make it faster. The shader looks right
------
Well done models moonson
 tFighterPilot
11-14-2003, 7:07 PM
Originally posted by kmd
well now you know wee are good for it, and will post back with our thoughts next time you have a beta, you know who you can trust :cool: What does that suppose to mean? :mad:
 kmd
11-14-2003, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by imyourfather
What does that suppose to mean? :mad: jus what it says ;) he thought most of us were just out to get the beta and have fun, now we have showed him that we are trustworthy, and can give him a piece of our mind about what ever beta file, so he can trust us
 tFighterPilot
11-14-2003, 7:32 PM
Originally posted by kmd
jus what it says ;) he thought most of us were just out to get the beta and have fun, now we have showed him that we are trustworthy, and can give him a piece of our mind about what ever beta file, so he can trust us Oh... ok... I just thought that... I thought you meant... never mind
 monsoontide
11-14-2003, 7:55 PM
The Dewback textures/colours are from the toy (Which is kinda brown/green).
What colour do you want it?
 wedge2211
11-14-2003, 8:11 PM
 LightNinja
11-14-2003, 8:19 PM
like this for example would be cool
http://www.modellismo.fano.net/images/dewback.jpg)
or something like this
http://www.sicqnus.com/imagbp/adbp4.jpg)
I'll try to make some skin anyway, but i dont know how to do the scales :ewok:
 monsoontide
11-14-2003, 8:23 PM
Wedge - What colours? That picture is almost entirely shadow and highlights! ;) - that's really the problem - it's either the photos from the special edition - which have the right colours but the wrong lighting or the toys which don't have a terribly good (acurate) paint job! :D
But I know what everyone is getting at! - More / darker green! ;)
Page: 1 of 2