Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

mod program

Page: 1 of 1
 Samuel Dravis
11-06-2003, 1:22 AM
I was thinking, If we made a mod manager program that let you turn on/off different mods easily, it would make possible the inclusion of multiple saber mods and others like that. The settings would obviously be defaulted to the mods that are voted best. What do you guys think?

If you all think this idea is good, I'll have a go at it. :)
 razorace
11-06-2003, 2:33 AM
Well, I'm thinking that that would be unnessicary. The best solution would be to treat blade mods/saber sounds like model types that people can pick and choose from the menus. That way everyone could use what they want and see what other people are using.

Since this is probably a big deal to a lot of people, I'll probably do this first once the SDK comes out (for warn up). :) After that, I'm going to be doing the saber system.
 Samuel Dravis
11-06-2003, 3:48 AM
OK. But that depends on the SDK. Do you have any idea on when it's coming out?

This program might also be good independent of OJP. I generally find myself using in excess of 10 mods all the time, and testing new ones frequently. It could come in handy, but I won't bother if no one's interested.
 razorace
11-06-2003, 5:13 AM
I don't really see how it would be any better than just moving pk3s around with Windows Explorer
 Samuel Dravis
11-06-2003, 5:29 AM
You can make a webpage with Notepad, so why did they make Dreamweaver?
 razorace
11-06-2003, 7:02 AM
True.
 Marker0077
11-06-2003, 8:55 AM
First off, don't compare Dreamweaver to this because that's an enormous exageration. There are endless possibilities with web sites, not with pre-made mods. It's not like this thing is generating the mods for you.

If you really use that many mods off & on, I suggest you make a batch file to swap the files around for you then create shortcuts to those batch files (or batch file with switches for each mod, which is how I would do it) & then that would do the same thing that any proggy would do. Compiling a program specifically for this is an overkill IMO.

Secondly, you wouldn't be choosing any mods via the menus really, what you would be doing is choosing your lightsaber & each saber could have it's own sound, blade, etc; etc. so it's like what Razorace was saying but a bit more automatic.

While we're on that topic Razor, I think that there should be a "AllowNoBlade" CVar for the hilt scripts which can be set to 0 or 1. The purpose would be for allowing/not allowing glowing blades for sword hilts, this way non-sword hilts wouldn't show no blade even though there is one.
 razorace
11-06-2003, 10:26 AM
 Samuel Dravis
11-06-2003, 12:16 PM
OK, I get the picture, it's not useful enough to bother with...

As for using batch files, they are not easy enough to use, so I have vbscript files to move them around.
 Marker0077
11-06-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
OK, I get the picture, it's not useful enough to bother with...

As for using batch files, they are not easy enough to use, so I have vbscript files to move them around. I've never had a problem with using them - never. If it is not working properly then whomever set it up did it wrong. Checking to see what .pk3 files are there, moving any ones that shouldn't be there & moving the one you want it to can all be covered in 1 batch file with all of your mods. If you would like a demonstration on it, my contact info is in my sig.
 Samuel Dravis
11-07-2003, 12:23 AM
The batch files are just fine. Since I am more familiar with vbscript, that's what I use because I know more about it. I don't have a problem with them; its just my personal preference. Thanks for offer, though. :)
 Emon
11-10-2003, 4:53 AM
Is any of the filesystem code in the JO game code? I doubt it, but if it is, it would be possible to load additional mods straight in the game itself. Infact, you wouldn't need access to that code, I think. Since we're working with DLLs now, we're not limited to the base directory, so we should be able to load PK3s (can we load arbitary PK3s?) from other mod folders.
 Marker0077
11-10-2003, 7:55 AM
Emon, he's talking about a proggy to swap out his various client side weapon &/or sound mods. A batch file WILL work fine for that if it is setup correctly. It's a little more difficult on NTFS systems but still should be no problem.
 Emon
11-10-2003, 1:56 PM
Uh, yeah, I know that, and I'm offering a solution that's far better, by simply allowing you to enable multiple mods right in a menu.

It's not different on NTFS, I think you mean systems running NT, they have slightly different commands.
 razorace
11-10-2003, 8:39 PM
How would you be able to do that from the menus without changing the ui code?
 Emon
11-10-2003, 9:51 PM
You wouldn't.
 razorace
11-10-2003, 9:58 PM
Well, I don't know. I think it would be a lot of work for not since you can only run one mod of each "type" at a time.
 Marker0077
11-11-2003, 6:00 AM
Originally posted by Emon
It's not different on NTFS, I think you mean systems running NT, they have slightly different commands. It is the file system. I had batch files that worked fine in Win98 & then would only work on some XP OS's. The ones that the batch file did not work on, were NTFS systems. They were just slightly different commands but there is a differance there none-the-less.Originally posted by razorace
Well, I don't know. I think it would be a lot of work for not since you can only run one mod of each "type" at a time. You already said you were going to do this when we were talking about using different sounds/blades for different hilts. I said just make it set up via the saber.sab file & you said you wanted to make it available in console too. This is no different, so I don't understand why you're like "I don't know".
 razorace
11-11-2003, 6:05 AM
I meant that it's not really doable to do a general multi-mod system and that the best solution is to just do things for indivial game elements that people want to be selectable (like the saber hilts/blades/etc).
 Samuel Dravis
11-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Would anyone use a graphical .menu file editor if I made one?
 razorace
11-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Sure, if it actually helps. :)
 Samuel Dravis
11-11-2003, 11:36 PM
If I made it, it would be click 'n drag, like VB's IDE. Then you would be able to easily position buttons etc. Just want to know if I should bother...
 razorace
11-12-2003, 12:31 AM
That would be great but I suggest you make it Q3 compatible (maybe with plugins) so that it's not just for JKA.
 Samuel Dravis
11-12-2003, 1:06 AM
Yeah. The problem is that I don't have any other games made with Q3 (except a demo of CoD & EF2). So right now I'll just make it for JKA, but I'll make it plugin compatible (I'm making ConfigED plugin-compatible also). Someone else that has the other games would have to make the plugin(s) to put into it.

If it's made, I think it will be called "uiED" (I was thinking about juiED, *Jedi user interface editor* with a play on words to GUI. but that would make it more oriented to a single game.)

And yes, the name is very important at this stage. I have to have something to save the project file as. :D

One person isn't the exact reaction that I was hoping for... but I guess that can be overlooked because of your illustrious status. ;)
 razorace
11-12-2003, 1:41 AM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
One person isn't the exact reaction that I was hoping for... but I guess that can be overlooked because of your illustrious status. ;)

Damn straight. :D
Page: 1 of 1