Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

All in one .jpg?

Page: 1 of 1
 ShovelHead
11-05-2003, 12:09 PM
I wasn't sure if this was a model or a skin question.
I can model a hilt and assign the parts to different .jpg files.
So far that has worked great and my hilts look fine in game.
But how do you get all the parts into one .jpg?
Alot of hilts are set up that way along with all character models.
I'm using MilkShape3D 1.7.0Beta, JK tools, and PhotoShop Elements2.0 Demo.
Do I need something else?
 eidospsogos
11-05-2003, 12:37 PM
good question, i hope someone answers, as i'd like to know this myself
 Psyk0Sith
11-05-2003, 3:20 PM
You should do a google search for uvw mapping tutorials. I briefly used the uvw editor in milkshape so i cant really help for that specific software.

I only know about the uvw map and unwrap modifier in 3D max.

Its quite simple in Max, you select some faces---> apply the uvw map modifier----> use the unwrap modifier to move the coordinates around. So you can create your layout, and later you export a template to paint on.

I will have a uvw mapping tutorial completed at some point, but it'll be for 3D Max.
 eidospsogos
11-05-2003, 5:32 PM
well, i use max more these days anyway. but i was rather impressed with the import/export capabilities of a 20 dollar program. as it had more native capabilities than one that costs in the thousands. kind of sad.
 BloodRiot
11-12-2003, 8:20 AM
In defense of 3ds max, it's quite simple actually.

Max is a full 3d application to do just about any sort of 3d artwork. You can make animations, stills, low poly for games, etc and all with considerable ammount of quality.

Milkshape on the other hand is a small time 3d application designed specifically for low poly game models. An application with just the right tools for character modeling and no use for much more.

The reason max doesnt come with that many import/export tools it's because you dont usually need that much importing exporting as everything will be done in-max.

Milkshape on the other hand is designed to work with as many games as possible and therefore the enourmous ammount of import/export tools makes it a good low poly 3d character editor.

You should try GMax. It's a lightweight and free version of max designed for computer character building/editing. I dont really use it since i have max and i', quite used to it. But from what i've seen, it's just like working with 3ds max but without that extra stuff that game 3d character building doesnt need.
 alaris
11-13-2003, 2:28 AM
Yeah use gmax if you plan on getting into all that other stuff he said. If you're planning on just making mods for games you will benefit more from milkshape's extensive list of plugins. Gmax doesn't support anywhere near the number of games ms3d does.
 WadeV1589
11-14-2003, 1:15 PM
One of the best features I've noted in Max is the extensive tutorial help file. It covers everything from low poly character/vehicle modelling to high resolution, over the top graphical movies. It's probably the best help file I've ever come across!

Max also has "Texture Baking" where you can get multiple JPEG's and apply them to a single mesh and then "Texture Bake" them all into a single tga file. It creates the UVW map for the entire mesh and saves a lot of work!
Page: 1 of 1