Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Funky Saber - only changed head

Page: 1 of 1
 alaris
11-04-2003, 3:34 PM
Ok, so I got my player model in game---he looks beatiful with only a few vertices needing slight tweeking. I've modeled a 2nd head and kept it in there for the whole process up until the end. "Head A" has all the bolts assigned to it in the hierarchy. If I delete "Head B" and export, the model works great in game. However, if I reassign those bolts from "Head A" to "Head B" and then delete "Head A", the lightsaber hovers below the hand parallel to the floor ingame and swings in funky directions.

2 questions:

1. Why would that be since I haven't touched the bones or bolts in the hand?

2. With "Head A" the lightsaber is fine except that it is positoned inside the right hand, and the left hand doesn't quite grab the hilt. Which bolts or a bones control the position of the hands around the lightsaber?

Thanks!!!
 alaris
11-04-2003, 4:07 PM
Wait a sec--- for question # 2, I can tweak the tag on the hilt to get it to align with the hand better can't I? If so, I'm shtoopid. :confused:
 alaris
11-06-2003, 8:01 PM
for question #1, should I try redoing the entire hierarchy, or is there something else I'm missing?
 Psyk0Sith
11-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Hmm im not really sure what's the problem...i mean if you havent touched the tags everything should be ok.

I have rigged the Jango Fett model for Neomarz and it had a lot of extra surfaces but didnt experience any problems.

Tho i never made extra selectable heads for JA.

The answer to question 1 could be how you weighted the tags/bones of the hands.

By the way, dont mess with the saber tags...that would screw up the hilt for other characters.
 alaris
11-07-2003, 7:03 AM
I was thinking about this post earlier today---major duh on my part on the messing up the sabers for other players.

I figured it out. I created the hands from scratch which can be rare among Jedi O/A modelers cause they're a huge pain, and they weren't quite matched up with the bones. The hands look fine ingame, so I just moved the bolt_r_hand out a litte more and it lines up perfectly now--thanks for the help though psyksith.

I just need to tweak the arms a little and figure out why when I rework the hierarchy for the 2nd head mesh the lightsaber screws up ingame.
 Aaron Smith
11-07-2003, 7:31 AM
Create a dumy head, like a three vert tag, name it head_off, link the bolts to that and your head_a and head_b to that as well.
That is the way the raven models are set up.
I don't know if you're using the autolink script but it works pretty well, if you use it name the dumy( head), and after you run the script rename it head_off. The auto link script won't recognize parts with names other than the standard parts, it normaly links them to the hips, but this only leaves a few that you may have to link manualy.
 alaris
11-07-2003, 4:44 PM
I'll try that out Aaron--thanks for the help. Where do I get the autolink script?
 Psyk0Sith
11-07-2003, 10:05 PM
 alaris
11-08-2003, 6:06 PM
Hey thanks for hosting that file. I downloaded and it works great, but my problem persists. If I stick with the original head, the saber works perfectly. Here's the steps I go through to get the other head ingame.

1. I rename head to headold
2. I rename head2 and head2_visor to head and head_visor respectively.
3. I save the max file and close it.
4. I reopen the file so the script can do its magic.
5. I export.

I get this...

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/nrc_ss1.jpg)

By the way, I'm getting this model into JO first, then into JA. I double-checked to make sure the bolt_r_hand is indeed weighted to the rhang_tag_bone.
 alaris
11-08-2003, 6:21 PM
I tried reassigning the bolts to the secondary head manually and then reassigning each next step in the hierarchy (torso | hips etc) just to make sure. I thought this would fix it--boy was I wrong.

LOL

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/nrc_ss2.jpg)

Don't ask me how that happened!
 alaris
11-08-2003, 7:04 PM
I even tried unlinking everything and reestablishing the hierarchy from scratch. The result was the first screenshot again. *sigh*
 alaris
11-08-2003, 9:06 PM
d00d I'm retarded. This situation tickled the back of my brain as I remembered something similar when I put a model into JO over a year ago.

When you alter the model at all, you have to start a new game!
 Psyk0Sith
11-08-2003, 9:47 PM
Wait are you talking about a single player model????

If so, yep, you have to start a new game. If its fine in MP then everything should be cool.
 Aaron Smith
11-09-2003, 2:02 AM
I'd be more than willing to bet my scrotum that not starting a new game was the problem. I've had the same thing happen.
 alaris
11-09-2003, 4:31 AM
lol, funny stuff.

Ok that was the problem with that. New problem (*pauses for the collective sigh*).

The model works great in Jedi Outcast. In jedi academy I get this error.

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/error.jpg)

The path is wrong. The error says it cannot find the animation file models/_humanoid/_humanoid because it's not there. It's in models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid. I can't figure out why it's looking in the wrong place. I checked my paths in assimilate, and they seem fine. Ayudame por favor!
 Aaron Smith
11-09-2003, 7:57 AM
That doesn't make any sense. Try recompiling and as soon as carcass opens click the properties icon at the top, that way even after it's done it stays up there so you can read every thing it says. I know if you don't carcass kinda finishes and closes fast.
If every thing is alright there, then I have no clue:confused: :confused: Sorry:confused:
 Psyk0Sith
11-09-2003, 3:53 PM
Now that's weird...if you are desperate, you can send me the glm so i can take a look at it for myself: psykopat@geocities.com

I've seen a lot of crazy errors but that one is almost impossible.

P.S.:That's a pretty cool model you've got there by the way! :)

EDIT: What are you trying to do exactly? are you trying to load your JO model in JA single player?

Have you tried it in mp before attempting SP?
 alaris
11-10-2003, 3:34 PM
Thanks again to everyone involved. Another stoopidity on my part since this latter issue was resolved by taking out a pk3 of the base folder that my eyes must have missed.

DUR! <---
 alaris
11-16-2003, 8:01 PM
The left hand of my model doesn't quite reach the lightsaber. I've moved the bolt_l_hand all around without much effect. How do I get the left hand to line up with the model?
 Psyk0Sith
11-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Well i cant really tell where or how to move it...i only know that its best to leave the skeleton and tags in their original positions.

Its always a good idea to move/shape your mesh around the bones not the other way around.
 alaris
11-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Yeah the bolt_l_hand is where the 2nd saber goes. I just moved my model around to get it in place. I was tryin to make it perfect and realized that the regular models' 2nd hand aren't quite perfect either.

Page: 1 of 1