Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Re-compiling JO models for use in JA.....need help

Page: 1 of 1
 eidospsogos
10-28-2003, 11:47 PM
does anyone know, and this may have already been covered elsewhere....but i am fairly new to all this, how to recompile the skeletal structure of a JO model for use in JA....

JO models appear to have more bones by a fairly large number.....so is this even possible, and if so how?

this may be a stupid question with an obvious answer.....but bear with me, i am new to the idea of modeling. worked with skinning primarily in the past, but you reach limitations with that eventually. so i was wondering if anyone knew how to do this?
 eidospsogos
10-29-2003, 12:59 AM
i went through the following steps.....

imported the file into milkshape.....exported it as md3....opened in md3 view, exported as glm....

modview would then load the file without giving me the animations error dealing with the humaniod.gla file.....as it did when i simply put the folder in the models/players folder.....

but there were no animations linked with the model at all.....anyone know anything about this.....
 boinga1
10-29-2003, 1:22 AM
You need 3Ds Max. It's the only progra to put a player model in-game.

I don't know the whole process, but I think you'd have to take the JO model and remove the JO skeleton. Then, you'd have to get a JA skeleton and fit it on the model.

And you might want to know, 3DS MAX costs a few thousand dollars. Outta my league.
 eidospsogos
10-29-2003, 12:04 PM
i know that i found a link to downloading the skeleton for JO, anyone know wehre to get just the JA skeleton...."

if not how difficult is it to get the skeleton out of an existing model.....
 razorace
10-29-2003, 6:51 PM
Well, remember that it's not that nessicary to convert the models. The game automatically converts them for use. However, it would be much easier to do stuff in Modview if you actually converted the model. :)
 eidospsogos
10-29-2003, 7:47 PM
very true.....didn't think of that.....however, is it possible that a JO model, that is linked to a different humanoid.gla file, (at least so it seems when one attempts to load the model in modview) can be animated correctly in JA
 razorace
10-29-2003, 8:36 PM
Well, from what I can tell, Modview doesn't have the "automagic" code that converts the JK2 skeleton to the JKA skeleton. It works in game (I'm sure of that) but not in modview. I suggest that you just place the old _humanoid files in same area that you're editting the files and just use that to view the old models.
 eidospsogos
10-29-2003, 10:11 PM
thnaks alot....that's actually just what i had setup at the moment.....just didn't know the game would automatically convert.....helpful to know.....really appreciate it....
 razorace
10-29-2003, 11:59 PM
You're welcome.

And you're slurring your sentences again. Please don't. :)
 eidospsogos
10-30-2003, 12:41 AM
sigh.

must i go through this once again. i appreciate the help. i do.

but the structure i choose to post in is really merely a matter of "i am posting on a gd computer game forum, and i don't necessarily feel like taking the time to worry about structuring my posts to MLA format and proofreading it before i put it up."

i apologize if people have trouble following flow of consciousness.
i just have a life outside of cyberspace. one with deadlines, and in my spare time the practical application of the ideas and solutions to problems discussed in this forum.

as these posts are neither going to be gathered into a compilation of my greatest works, nor published in any way at all, i am not really concerned with punctuation, structure or format.

if anyone is that concerned with the grade i would receive on my posts in an english comp class, were i not long done with the college world, feel free to ask my password and you can long on proofread and spellcheck my posts until your heart's content.

otherwise, if i am in a hurry and ignore the rules of proper punctuation,(as did Emily Dickinson) bear with me. were i to point out every instance of someone in this forum improperly structuring a sentence, misplacing a modifier, dangling a participle, or just being stupid, i would not have any time to ask the important questions that lead to people actually helping or being helped.
 razorace
10-30-2003, 12:51 AM
I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi. It just takes the same amount of time to type "...." as it does to do ". ", or a press of the enter key, and it is WAY easier for others to read. :)
 eidospsogos
10-30-2003, 1:10 AM
point taken, i guess.

but just so you know slurring would denote an omittance of syllables or a spilcing together of two syllables. that would be hard to do typing.

all i was doing was omiiting all punctuation other than the elipse, which is used only to mark a pause. so i may be flowing rather incoherently, but i took a voice and diction course about three years ago, so my enunciation is superb. i never slur.....(except maybe when drinking)

sorry. had to be a smart @ss one last time. (such a hard habit to break...)
Page: 1 of 1