Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

making objects visable only at close distance

Page: 1 of 1
 [SASH]Nathan
10-28-2003, 4:47 PM
just wondering how i can make a model im using only visable when im real close to it. im using a big corridor full of models but i wnat them to kinda appear one by one as u get closer to the end of the level. any help will be awesum, nathan
 WadeV1589
10-28-2003, 5:29 PM
If you mean something simple like distance culling (keep in mind this will affect the entire map and may not work anything like you want it to) you select any normal brush then press N, type a key of "_distancecull" and a value of whatever distance you want to stop drawing at. It's usually used where there are skyboxes about or a fog hull for best results.
 [SASH]Nathan
10-28-2003, 11:59 PM
naa just certain flares, rocks and plants that im making, i want them to fade into veiw, looking thru sum forums i need a shader but im not sure on the currect content of it. i need a shader for horizontial sprites if any1 knows correct one or how to do it pls. i looked at the ones with jka, had ago but they didnt work as well ( faced one way and didnt fade in or out) ill keep at it and if i found out how ill post but if any1 alse can help out there it will be great :)
 fahtajorj
10-29-2003, 2:07 PM
im just theorizing here, but would it be possible to make a entirely clear fog thats only purpose is to have distancecull set into it ?
 WadeV1589
10-29-2003, 3:43 PM
An entirely clear fog...wouldn't that be...no fog?
 [SASH]Nathan
10-29-2003, 3:51 PM
guess the fog idea would work but wouldnt that be the same as adding distance cull to worldspawn? thing is i only want certain brushs to fade into distance / be visable only when close, kinda like flares on the lights or astroids in the kotor flight school map.
Page: 1 of 1