Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dynamic Glow Shaders?

Page: 1 of 1
 Garland
10-26-2003, 12:51 PM
I've looked at a few of the shaders that have the glow effect (where the glow literally bleeds around edges of models and such) and I'm not sure how this works.

I know it has to do with adding a "glow" flag to a shader stage, but I don't know how the color is derrived and/or if there are any extra settings for it.

Can anyone educate me on the nuances behind this nifty little feature?
 Emon
10-26-2003, 4:38 PM
Just add "glow" to the shader stage, and it averages the color of that stage, and even properly applies it to alpha channels, I think, because like in Coruscant, the lights on the buildings are probably another shader stage with transparent parts, and the engine figured out what to glow on its own.

The only downside is that you can't explicity specify color, intensity, size, etc, which are done mostly through cvars, and have a global effect.
 Garland
10-26-2003, 11:56 PM
I assumed as much about the size and intensity...

Can't explicitly define color? Does it take the most prevalent color of any given shader stage or what?

I'll have to experiments with it... Thanks Emon.
 Emon
10-27-2003, 12:53 AM
It averages the color I think.
Page: 1 of 1