Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New CTF map pics

Page: 1 of 1
 Rankith
10-22-2003, 11:15 PM
 Rankith
10-23-2003, 1:58 PM
Also, could someone tell me where the rebel/imperial sign is in the textures? I cant find em. Thanks
 GothiX
10-23-2003, 2:29 PM
Wrong forum. And the textures look very stretched/deformed. Architecture is.. halfway good. Lighting isn't oh-so-great.

Imperial/rebel signals are in mp/, I thought. But adding those would kill this map for sure.
 WadeV1589
10-23-2003, 2:42 PM
Not looking too bad, ignore what others may think ^^^ :rolleyes:

He said textures look stretched, that's true, did you use "Fit" then like 2x1? I'd try just increasing the total numbers, say 3 across for the texture in shot 1.

The lighting is a more obvious problem though, I'd try and get some more light sources in there, perhaps more fires? For lights you're using for ambience i.e. those lights that are there simply to lighten a dark area, reduce their intensity and use more than the 1 to give a more uniform lighting

GothiX what's going on man? Last few days your posts are getting less helpful and more sarcastic or harsh.
 Rankith
10-23-2003, 2:43 PM
yeah I havent really got the textures nice yet. But I dont mean like the blue and red lighting. I mean just the sign. I have a place for them that will look right but I cant find em. also, how is this the wrong forum? I am looking for feedback from mappers.
 Rankith
10-23-2003, 2:45 PM
thanks wade. What textures do you think are most stretched?
 WadeV1589
10-23-2003, 2:55 PM
I'd ignore GothiX for a few days if I were you he seems off lately, hopefully it will pass.

As for 2 fixes I see
http://sgmod.crashespad.com/misc/images/sample1.jpg)
By rotate I mean in the surface inspector, rotate the texture :)
 Rankith
10-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Awesome thanks for going to the trouble of doing that :). I will post more pics before I finish it too. Thanks again!
 Rankith
10-23-2003, 10:53 PM
One other thing. I am not sure if there is a better way to do this but if I have two or more burshes next to eachother that arent neccsesarily the same size and I need the texture to fit perfect over the surfaces and be the right size and everything. Is there a good way to do that? That has been my main problem so far.
 MasterSidious
10-27-2003, 9:42 PM
Don't know about the question but pretty good map (The lighting is fine for the map, it sets a good mood for it)
 MasterSidious
10-27-2003, 9:43 PM
What fps you get with all of those polygons in that on room, I forget which pic. had them
 Rankith
10-28-2003, 3:20 AM
all of the rooms give very good fps so far, I dont have exact numbers, but you mean the room that is outside? They all run smooth
 WadeV1589
10-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Rankith
One other thing. I am not sure if there is a better way to do this but if I have two or more burshes next to eachother that arent neccsesarily the same size and I need the texture to fit perfect over the surfaces and be the right size and everything. Is there a good way to do that? That has been my main problem so far.

I presume this is because you want it to "Fit"? Texture the visible sides of both brushes, select one brush face and "Fit" it to that one, then press S to get the texture inspector and copy those values to the second brush, it will line up perfectly with the original Fit. If there's an easier way I've not come across it yet!

If you want it to "Fit" so it covers the surface of both brushes, you need to make one brush the side of both brushes (hope you get that) and Fit the texture to that, then use the clipper tool to break it into 2 and drag the edges around to the shapes you need.
 wedge2211
10-28-2003, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
I presume this is because you want it to "Fit"? Texture the visible sides of both brushes, select one brush face and "Fit" it to that one, then press S to get the texture inspector and copy those values to the second brush, it will line up perfectly with the original Fit. If there's an easier way I've not come across it yet!

Either select the first fitted surface, and hold SHIFT+CTRL and click the middle mouse button on the second surface; or, select the second surface, and click the middle mouse on the first surface. That will copy the texture and its scaling from one face to another.
 MasterSidious
10-29-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Rankith
all of the rooms give very good fps so far, I dont have exact numbers, but you mean the room that is outside? They all run smooth

Ya, that's what I meant :) GOOD JOB ON THE MAP :D

are there any vehicles in it?
 Rankith
10-31-2003, 3:16 PM
no, its all enclosed pretty much except for that outdoor area in each base, its also fairly linear unfourtanetly
 MasterSidious
10-31-2003, 5:25 PM
I was thinking that you could, its just a thought, but you could make an underground dugeon area sort of modeled after hell with a rancor or something since the map sort of has a dungeon look to it. Just a thought though :D

Ya, right around pic 14, maybe I don't know ;)
 GothiX
10-31-2003, 6:04 PM
Eh, yeah, sorry for my first reply. Wade, contact me on MSN, I'll explain it ton you then.

As for the more constructive criticism to this map:

-I see you used the k_wall texture (I believe) multiple times above eachother. (Shot0007 as reference) Try to use only the lower/upper part, and use stones for the other part. I guarantee a better effect. :)

-Play around with lighting and shadows, some highres, comp[lex shadows could definitely do justice to this map. Also, your lightsources look a lot like eachother, try to use different types of torches all around your map.

-Here's what I missed: Pillars! Use pillars and support struts in the corridors, it seems more detailed, and a lot more realistic then.

-Talking about realistic, I'd suggest getting Easygen to create better looking terrain.

-1st shot, if those boxes/graves are really that big, there might be a gameplay issue, as people can easily sneak past..
 MasterSidious
10-31-2003, 8:52 PM
Ya, that's the thing with maps on the comp. you don't actually have to put support beams to hold it togeather (DUH!) but its better because it just makes it more realistic. Just agreeing with the above post ;)
 Rankith
10-31-2003, 9:08 PM
thanks for tips, gothic could you be more specific on that first one, not quite sure what ya mean by it(shot 0007). Also I have never heard of easygen
 WadeV1589
10-31-2003, 9:40 PM
GothiX, eternus_insilenti@hotmail.com ... got a new account and can't remember your MSN addy.
 GothiX
11-01-2003, 8:24 PM
http://blargh.mine.nu/test/130/81067728094.jpg)

Delete the upper one, and replace it with a brick texture.

Also, any death traps in that map? I believe there is at least one.. (Hence the HAH!)
 Rankith
11-01-2003, 8:48 PM
ok I see thanks. There will be death traps but I killed myself cause I had a couple rooms that werent connected, so that wasnt from a death trap. But there will be some
 Rankith
11-02-2003, 10:24 PM
 GothiX
11-03-2003, 7:52 AM
Exactly what I ment. :)

Now, for those new shots.. Still not much support struts, I hope those will be added later? That'd add quite some detailm to the walls. What I'm worried about more, is the foor and ceiling. The all look a bit plain.. Maybe have a window in the roof, a plateau on the floor, anything to break it up a little.
 Rankith
11-03-2003, 7:18 PM
I will add support struts and the like, right now I am trying to get the level flowing so I can test the playability. Thx for feedback!
Page: 1 of 1