Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Respawning and NPC in MP.

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Kaan
10-22-2003, 10:33 PM
WITHOUT setting an NPC up as a vehicle in a MP map, take the rancor for example, and you want him to re-spawn when killed as just a regular NPC_rancor, can this be done and if so how?
 shukrallah
10-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Thats something i want to know. Maybe, if you know how to make vehicles respawn you can do the same thing to an NPC... but i dont know. Do you need cheats on for NPCs in MP? What about vehicles...? Im just wondering, because ive heard this and that about turning codes on to get vehicles.. is that just to use NPC spawn, or is it for them to load in the map?
 Darth Kaan
10-23-2003, 12:01 AM
You DO NOT have to spawn them in game, You can place a rancor in a MP map by simply adding them via the NPC menu as an NPC_monster_rancor.

I have not figured out how to or if it is even possible to get them to respawn when they die, without making them a vehicle.
 shukrallah
10-23-2003, 12:23 AM
ok heres an idea i have gotten based on my reading on respawning vehicles. keep in mind, i dont know if it works, youll have to test it.. hope it does :)

ok, put your NPC in, then give it a key of "count" (remember no "") then a value of -1 this makes it respawn. Then give it a targetname. Also, give it a delay of whatever probably 5 (for 5 seconds) so it will spawn 5 seconds after your NPC dies.

Then for the worldspawn, give it a key of Spawnscript then a value of wherever and what ever your script is. Then the worldspawn should run that script when the map starts.

make the script, just put in it, USE and then the targetname you gave for your NPC. Save compile... your done :) hopefully!!! The use command is like a trigger, and since your npc has the targetname it uses, it should trigger it to spawn...

That should do it..... :-\
 GothiX
10-23-2003, 8:22 AM
That's wrong. If you make a Rancor; here are the needed entity keys:

classname: NPC_Monster_Rancor
targetname: Rancor1
NPC_target: Rancor1
count: -1
delay: 5
(Other stuff you may want him to have)

Now, around your entire map; create a trigger_once with:

target: Rancor1

That way, the Rancor will be spawned the moment a player/bot spans the first time.
 WadeV1589
10-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Now, around your entire map; create a trigger_once withWell that's messy...Icarus would be much tidier.
 shukrallah
10-23-2003, 11:41 AM
oh ok... like i said it was a guess :) i forgot all about NPC_targetname
 Darth Kaan
10-23-2003, 9:31 PM
Originally posted by gothicX
That's wrong. If you make a Rancor; here are the needed entity keys:

classname: NPC_Monster_Rancor
targetname: Rancor1
NPC_target: Rancor1
count: -1
delay: 5
(Other stuff you may want him to have)

Now, around your entire map; create a trigger_once with:

target: Rancor1

That way, the Rancor will be spawned the moment a player/bot spans the first time.

Well.... by simply adding an NPC_Monster_Rancor it will spawn at level start. I was asking how to make him re-spawn when killed.

I solved the problem by using the NPC_spawner entity and creating a custom NPC_mutant_rancor. All works fine now.

Thanks for your input LS1!
 MasterSidious
10-27-2003, 9:32 PM
Can you put ANY NPC in an MP map? (don't have JA yet :( )
Page: 1 of 1