Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ridiculously large cover scans etc

Page: 1 of 7
 SpiffyTheDog
10-20-2003, 5:25 PM
alright well i'm looking for some ridiculously large scans of the front and back covers of any of the following games:

-secret of monkey island (just the back - i've got the front)
-monkey island 2
-cmi
-emi
-full throttle
-the dig
-while i'm at it, any of the king's quest games

(by ridiculously large i mean at least 2170 pixels high. No, really.)

if you have some/know where i could find any you'd just be the most awesome person ever. Thanks etc.
 Drigo Zoxx
10-20-2003, 9:31 PM
The fair solution would be to actually buy the games whose covers you are looking for. ;) No one on this forum would ever do such large scans like the one you're asking for, considering that these could be used for illegal reasons (like reprinting fake game retail boxes or whatever). :rolleyes:
 SpiffyTheDog
10-20-2003, 10:09 PM
i'm not asking people to scan them, i'm asking if they know where i'd be able to find scans of them. I don't have a scanner and those games in the actual boxes and not just cd cases are kind of hard to find.
 elTee
10-21-2003, 2:21 PM
Being as that you got the only other one you have from me anyway, I'll do the rest when I go home, and send them to you when I come back to uni. (That'll be a few weeks, but before christmas)
 SpiffyTheDog
10-21-2003, 11:16 PM
jesus, tones, you're just awesome. I'm totally giving you 75%-credit on these dvdcovers (yeah, it's as if all your dreams have come true.)

(by the way, yes, i said dvdcovers. I'm making dvdcovers of classic games. Commence the makefunnery.)
 QueZTone
10-22-2003, 11:06 PM
how big are his scans? 2000+ pixels reso make good A3 or even A2 posters
 HenryJonesJr.
10-23-2003, 2:28 PM
yo tones could you send them my way too? thanks
 CaliMonk
10-24-2003, 6:29 AM
Could you just stick it on some website? I'd love to get them aswell, if its great quality i'd print it so i can frame it and hang it on my wall :D
 QueZTone
10-24-2003, 1:09 PM
exactly my thought
 elTee
10-25-2003, 9:40 AM
When I scanned the art originally posters were my intention as well. And the image resolution is sufficiently high enough to fit on A1, or even A0 I think. However, its a touchy subject - I myself can get them printed on A0 or A1 for a paltry Ј10, but there is a copyright issue. If anyone did make posters, they would have to get them printed themselves, and not make any profit from them. My conscience is clean, anyway - if LucasArts made official box-art posters I'd buy them (like the FOA one) - but they don't.

I would stick them on a website, but each image is around 15Mb. This is because the plain image looks... well, not so great - not bad, but could be better. So I apply a few imaging effects and voila:

Actual Size sample of original image (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/preview2.jpg)

Actual Size sample of edited final image (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/preview.jpg)

You already told me about the DVD covers and it sounds pretty cool :D
 JBRAA
10-25-2003, 7:28 PM
Originally posted by LucasTones
When I scanned the art originally posters were my intention as well. And the image resolution is sufficiently high enough to fit on A1, or even A0 I think. However, its a touchy subject - I myself can get them printed on A0 or A1 for a paltry Ј10, but there is a copyright issue. If anyone did make posters, they would have to get them printed themselves, and not make any profit from them. My conscience is clean, anyway - if LucasArts made official box-art posters I'd buy them (like the FOA one) - but they don't.

I would stick them on a website, but each image is around 15Mb. This is because the plain image looks... well, not so great - not bad, but could be better. So I apply a few imaging effects and voila:

Actual Size sample of original image (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/preview2.jpg)

Actual Size sample of edited final image (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/preview.jpg)

You already told me about the DVD covers and it sounds pretty cool :D

What filter did you use when you edited the image? Or what techniques? You cleared the spots right outta there without smearing it. Looks great.
 elTee
10-26-2003, 9:02 AM
Yeah, it does look good considering the resolution. You can still kinda see the spots on his cheek, but its way better than the original.

As for filters - I used a program I have made by Micrografx. Its like Paint-Shop Pro or Photoshop but a lot less advanced and a hell of a lot cheaper. Anyway, it has a wide variety of image effects, and I fiddled around with various filters in order to remove the spots. I think I used a smoother and some artistic filters.
 CaliMonk
10-27-2003, 11:38 AM
I totally get the legal issue, i'd personally just use it to hang in my own house. I've been waiting years for a possibility to have such posters but LucasArts just never makes them unfortunatly. Fortunatly with Pirates of the Carribean movie there was an official poster which i bought :)

Anyway i'd love to get these, so i can finally have a way of making myself a great poster. LucasArts is free ot make them theirselves though i'd be all for it :)
 CaliMonk
10-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Besides that i'd really love to see liek Dansky or Paco make big pictures of their art, i'd love to hang that on the wall as well (Like the header for the Scummbar Forum, that would be great!)
 SpiffyTheDog
10-27-2003, 9:42 PM
i'm just making dvd covers cuz i want to have these games in a more collectible/less fragile form. That and i'm a huge dvd collector so having them as a part of my collection would make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
 Laserschwert
10-28-2003, 2:35 PM
Well, the ideas in here are GREAT.

I too would love to have some hi-res scans of several covers (Especially Monkey Island 1-3, since I only have them as the German "Monkey Island Collection", which doesn't have the original covers).

Making DVD-Covers for them is a good idea, since the revised versions of some games (as available in the US and UK... not Germany :( ) do come in amaray-cases, which would make them nice to look at AND - as said - less fragile. Scans of those amaray-covers would be great too.

And last but not least, I (as the founder of the Soundtrack CD Covers of Monkey Island (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2) site, am planning to make more soundtracks as well as covers for all of them. There are a few problems though:

- I don't have all the games (or I don't have them with their original covers, since some of them came in some sort of collection)

- most of my German covers look slightly different (at least the German titles), and I would prefer the original English covers

- several sites on the web contain scans of covers (some on fan sites, some on site ESPECIALLY MADE for downloading covers), but they all have scans in terrible quality (or they are too low-res)

That's why I need perfect scans of english covers (meaning 300dpi and not too highly compressed)... especially from these games:

Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Outlaws
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
Dark Forces
X-Wing and (not "vs."!!!) Tie Fighter (if possible the original covers, since I already have the "CD-ROM Editions")

I would be really happy if you would participate in this and help me out.

Oh yeah, since I would love to make some posters, I would really like scans of Monkey Island 1-4 as well...
 Jake
10-31-2003, 3:49 PM
For the record, I think LucasArts did actually make an official poster of the Monkey Island 1 box art, but I don't think they made very many of them. I would like one if anyone has two :)
 hibernatus
10-31-2003, 11:33 PM
I used to have one. I think i got it in a French magazine.
I would also like to get those scans. I like Steve Purcell's art. Zak, MI1 & MI2 have nice boxes.
 elTee
11-03-2003, 10:09 PM
In one of my LucasArts Adventurers there's an advert for posters of box art for Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Secret of Monkey Island. I once asked LucasArts if these posters were still available and they said no.
 CaliMonk
11-04-2003, 8:18 AM
So LucasTones and idea when and/or if your going to share your big resolution pictures with us? :)
 elTee
11-06-2003, 2:25 AM
Well, I don't have the images yet. I still need to scan all the boxes and edit the art - this I can do in an afternoon, but my scanner is in Preston and I am in Manchester. I'll be home before christmas, I'll do it then. As for sharing.. I'm undecided. Maybe you should ask Spiffy if he could give you them after I send them to him :)
 CaliMonk
11-06-2003, 5:31 AM
Cool, so Spiffy would you be nice enough to send me them after you receive them? You'd make me a really nice Christmas gift with that :D
 SpiffyTheDog
11-10-2003, 2:33 AM
my totally awesome agenda!:

1. Receive scans.
2. Make dvd covers.
3. Post dvd covers online and milk them for all they're worth.
4. Start a grand uprising of computer game dvd covers. Be in history books. Etc.
5. Sleep

perhaps after i make my first million i'll consider posting them all online in their raw form.

yes, this entire post was a joke after step 3.

except for that last part.

and that part.

and that.

and that.

and that. and that. and that.

and that.
 SpiffyTheDog
11-10-2003, 2:56 AM
also back on the subject of posters and such i just found a poster of the box art of indiana jones and the fate of atlantis on ebay and bought it. Should arrive shortly. Yay.
 CaliMonk
11-10-2003, 5:47 AM
So you wont give anyone the raw images but just make DVD Covers which we could download?

That would be a shame because my whole point is having the Covers for the game series hanging on my Wall. Monkey Island to be exact...
 elTee
11-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Spiffy, the Indy poster rocks - I have it too. Its actually slightly larger than the standard one-sheet movie posters, and looks so professional. I have a poster for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade as well (the movie) and the two look great side by side.
 SpiffyTheDog
11-10-2003, 9:46 PM
cali- you could always just download the dvd covers and crop it so that you'd just have the front. If someone provided me with a suitable server I'd totally put them up, and if you ask me for them once I get them i'll gladly send them to you. I think tones would feel the same way here but i can't be sure. It's just not really that big of a deal. I'm lucky enough to be getting them free as they are from him.
 CaliMonk
11-11-2003, 5:41 AM
Ah i thought you'd resize the DVD Covers to a normal format like 1200x800 or something simular, if you'd keep it at the big size they originally are then it wouldn't matter that much i reckon... Although the original complete box would be sweeter :)
 jp-30
01-03-2004, 9:49 PM
Hmmm. I'm wondering if there's any progress on this idea?

I'd love to store my bulky, shelf-overhanging boxes away & just use DVD cases for my old games.

Oh, and converted to print-standard 300dpi JPG would be fine, I reckon. File size should be manageable at that resolution & file format.
 elTee
01-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I have the scans. Very high res, I edited them myself so they look good when you view them at 100%. I can't upload until friday, and I'll update the post then.
 CaliMonk
01-14-2004, 6:51 AM
* CaliMonk gets all excited
 elTee
01-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh what to do what to do...
Well, I have the scans. They rock :D But I can't upload them all to my mojo space - they take up a LOT of space. There are 15 scans in all, every LucasArts classic adventure with both versions of Full Throttle. Resolution is, as requested, ridiculous. So, suggestions? I guess I could upload one per day for two weeks, but I would only be able to fit one on at a time - so if you miss a day, you miss a day. There's always IRC, I'm usually on there so if you want to come to #monkey-island on gamesnet I can DCC them to you.
 Alien426
01-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Why don't you upload one and see how the reactions are?

Graphics format, resolution, file size?

EDIT: How about getting some annoying free web space?
 jp-30
01-14-2004, 5:15 PM
As I mentioned just before, converted to print-standard 300dpi JPG would be fine, I reckon. File size should be manageable at that resolution & file format.
 elTee
01-14-2004, 6:35 PM
Okay, I've compressed one down to 8Mb for you to sample. Full resolution here, please give any ideas in terms of preparing the file for printing:

Zak McKracken & The Alien Mindbenders (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/02-zm-a.jpg)
 JBRAA
01-14-2004, 6:47 PM
NICE 6372x8118 =)
Though, I must know what optical resolution your scanner has. 600x1200? 1200x2400? 2400x4800?
 jp-30
01-14-2004, 7:19 PM
Well, I know I'd be happy with standard magazine print resolution.

A DVD coverslick is 27.2cm x 18.2 cm

at 300dpi that reduces down to

3212 x 2149 pixels.

Your Zak McKraken front cover (very nice, by the way) at 100% JPG quality goes from 6312x8118 pixels to 1687x2149 pixels, the file size reduces to 2.4MB, and at 300dpi, the quality is absolutely fine. Saved at 95% JPG quality (indescernable from 100% quality when printed) it reduces in filesize by half again to 1.2MB.

While it's good to work in ridiculously high resolution, there is no need for the final uploaded version to be any greater resolution than magazine print quality - 300dpi.

Also, are you making full DVD slicks with spines and the back coming from the back of the original box, or just converting the front pictures of the boxes?

Also note that the original author of this thread was thinking 300dpi resolution when he said "ridiculously high"

(by ridiculously large i mean at least 2170 pixels high. No, really.)

21 pixels difference to my proposed final size - negligible. Just due to the DVD slick I measured being a mm or so different to the one he measured.
 Udvarnoky
01-14-2004, 7:48 PM
Hey, Maniac Mansion comes first...;)
 elTee
01-16-2004, 2:47 PM
I don't know anything about dpi's or resolutions, I just scanned them at the same size as the Monkey Island one that I had already made. As Spiffy said that one was ok, I did the rest like that. Spiffy's the one making the dvd covers, and I scanned the back of the boxes for that purpose. I didn't think it would be necessary to upload those, as no-one wants a poster of the back of the box :)

So, jp-30 you sound like you know what you're doing with all this - is there any way you could upload a poster sized 300dpi resolution version of the Zak image? This way I can covert the rest of them to make it all easier for you lot.
 jp-30
01-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Can you resixe your images in your phot manipulation program?

If so don't worry about all the dpi carry on, just resize to 1687x2149 pixels.

When printed at 300dpi it will be the correct size.

:)
 elTee
01-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Ok, thanks :D
 Laserschwert
01-23-2004, 11:46 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread, since it's been a little quiet in here...

I would really love Maniac Mansion coming next... and if you have the PC-box of the game, could you scan the back cover too? (At least if it's the one containing that framed portrait of the Edisons... I still need that one for my soundtrack covers.

Oh, and any chance to scan the back of the "Zak McKracken" box too? Actually I don't know what's ON the back of the box... maybe it's not even good enough for a cover...
 Udvarnoky
01-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Laserschwert
... I still need that one for my soundtrack covers.

So you're going to do the Maniac Mansion soundtrack? Woo!
 Laserschwert
01-24-2004, 1:47 AM
Oops... I said too much *g*

But yeah, Maniac Mansion is going to come, as well as Zak and (probably) Loom.
 elTee
01-24-2004, 6:38 PM
Do Loom!! But do it properly - or else there'll be trouble. (I've tried to make some decent versions of the main theme myself, but they've all sucked. There is a decent copy of it out there, though... somewhere.)

And the covers are slowly being converted and reduced in file-size, and I've found some server space with enough room for all the scans - but its low bandwidth.
 Udvarnoky
01-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Laserschwert
could you scan the back cover too? (At least if it's the one containing that framed portrait of the Edisons... I still need that one for my soundtrack covers.

I can get you just a scan of that portrait if you'd like. I can't promise it'll be good though.

EDIT: I'm guessing you'll need something cleaner than this (http://members.fortunecity.com/harang/portrait.jpg).
 elTee
01-29-2004, 10:16 AM
You can scan it if you want, but I did the back covers too. They were mostly for spiffy, I didn't figure anyone else would want them - I mean, if you make a poster, you do the front right?
 Laserschwert
01-29-2004, 5:10 PM
Actually I don't need the Maniac covers anymore... at least not very urgently. Read my post in the soundtracks-thread.

Regarding the cover-scans topic: I think about doing DVD-covers for most LucasArts games... works if you can get those scans done, LucasTones.

And for printing posters, I would really LOVE to have some high-res scans from the "Monkey Island" boxes...
 Udvarnoky
01-29-2004, 7:20 PM
No, I can't do them. Go for it, LucasTones!
 SpiffyTheDog
01-31-2004, 6:14 PM
yeah i've got a somi dvd cover ready to go, i just need to touch it up a bit here and there.
Page: 1 of 7