Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How to Compile a map?

Page: 1 of 1
 Willow
10-19-2003, 3:48 AM
Guys i finally learn to fixed the bug in getting the editor fired up..for JA..

but i'm abit lost in how to save the map in the way which i can test it out in JA..

this should be a rather easy question to answer..so i hope u guys can fill me in on this..thxs a bunch :p
 cwv_odedge
10-19-2003, 5:29 AM
Well I can help get you started. To compile a map, you need to bsp it. From GTK menu choose BSP. Unfortuantely after that, I am not much use for I am used to JK2Radiant.

I know if you choose the first one (single) BSP -meta. It will compile the map with out the lights be calculated. I would suggest to use this while you build your map. This way your compile times will be much shorter.

Suggestion in building your map:
1. Build your major structures first, (rooms, hallways, etc)
2. Add smaller details next (models, weapons, items)
3. Light your map last.

Lighting a map well is the hardest thing to do, so save it for last. In addition, to compile the map with lights being calculated takes longer. Hopes this helps, let me know if you have more questions.....
 aaw*s.n.a.f.u.*
10-19-2003, 10:27 AM
if u simply want to test it just open up JA then when its open push shift and ~ this is usaully next to 1 and under escape this will bring down a console in the console type devmap <mapname> dont include arrow as will say couldnt find <mapname>.bsp ok your right i just remembered u do have to at least a test.bsp
 Willow
10-19-2003, 11:53 AM
that helps alot,will ask more questions when need be..:D
 GothiX
10-19-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by cwv_odedge
Suggestion in building your map:
1. Build your major structures first, (rooms, hallways, etc)
2. Add smaller details next (models, weapons, items)
3. Light your map last.

Lighting a map well is the hardest thing to do, so save it for last. In addition, to compile the map with lights being calculated takes longer.

I disagree. Better to get it all going right away. that's why there are test compiles.
 aaw*s.n.a.f.u.*
10-19-2003, 12:55 PM
ok your right i just remembered u do have to at least do a test.bsp
:o
Page: 1 of 1