Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lighning Effects

Page: 1 of 1
 TPM_Montross
10-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Ok one question for everybody, but first, i'm making a map with vehicles and stuff and its outside so i thought it would be cool to add rain and lightning and i used the hevil sky so it looks like its dark and raining outside, but my question is what effect do i use for lightning, it says i must specify a effect for the lightningfx key but i dont know what i should put in for a value, if anybody knows this key it would be realy helpful (i just want somthing that looks like regular blueish-white lightning)

THNX :fett:
 Greymon
10-18-2003, 11:32 PM
I dont know what lightningfx key you're talking about, but lightning is available under the fx_rain entity. Assuming you're using gtkradiant 1.3.12: You can click on the box in the fx_rain that says 'heavy' and that will give you rain, fog, and lightning automatically. If you dont want to use the heavy rain check box, add 64 to your spawnflags for that entity.
 TPM_Montross
10-19-2003, 12:34 AM
ya if ur talking about the spawnflag box i dont see anything there so i'm realy confuzed i have 1.3.12 but i dont see anything, there are no spawnflag boxes on fx_rain, and the thing i was refering to was trigger_lighningstrike
 TPM_Montross
10-19-2003, 12:35 AM
sry didnt read ur full message i'll just add spawnflag 64
:p
 Greymon
10-19-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by TPM_Montross
ya if ur talking about the spawnflag box i dont see anything there so i'm realy confuzed i have 1.3.12 but i dont see anything, there are no spawnflag boxes on fx_rain, and the thing i was refering to was trigger_lighningstrike

OK, you dont see the spawnflags box because of a gtkradiant bug. You're in multiplayer mapping mode. Go to Project Settings. It will say SP mode, but its wrong. Change it to MP mode, then, change it back to SP mapping mode. Restart Radiant. Now you'll be in SP mapping mode and you'll have a different entities list. You should then get spawnflag boxes.
 TPM_Montross
10-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, will this work if i wanna make a multiplayer map?, cause the rain works in my map on multiplayer so far
 TPM_Montross
10-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, will this work if i wanna make a multiplayer map?, cause the rain works in my map on multiplayer so far oh ya and adding 64 spawn flags hasnt worked yet i just mean regular rain
 Greymon
10-20-2003, 2:03 AM
Hrm, I don't know if that works in mp or not. I've only played with weather in singleplayer. Spawnflags 64 is just lightning in sp. Its not rain. If you use Heavy Rain, spawnflags 4 in sp, it automatically has lightning and mist.

I can only suggest you try those in mp and see what happens. Try switching to sp mode to learn the other keys about lgihtning.
 shukrallah
10-20-2003, 11:31 AM
but wouldnt the heavy rain lag a bit?
 TPM_Montross
10-20-2003, 10:49 PM
ya with this glitch in radiant i can make mp maps with rain but i'm afraid that if i switch to mp without the glitch then i wont be able to and i wont be able to reverse the glitch and i'll lose the ability to make mp maps with rain forever...............

basically i'm between a rock and a hard place until sombody tells me if u can make mp maps with rain after the glitch has been fixed? :confused:

Thnx:fett:
 shukrallah
10-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Theres certain textures that people made for jk2, that made it look like it was raining ;) find one, and get permission to use it.
 Greymon
10-21-2003, 3:17 AM
ya with this glitch in radiant i can make mp maps with rain but i'm afraid that if i switch to mp without the glitch then i wont be able to and i wont be able to reverse the glitch and i'll lose the ability to make mp maps with rain forever...............

basically i'm between a rock and a hard place until sombody tells me if u can make mp maps with rain after the glitch has been fixed?

You're not making any sense. If you already got rain in mp, you know rain in mp works. What radiant shows you in your entity list has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the game and what its capable of doing.
 TPM_Montross
10-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Oh, sry, i'm not a newb to mapping and i know my way around coding a bit, but i didnt think radiant would accept it, but as long as i can put it in there thats cool

Thanx:fett:
 TPM_Montross
10-21-2003, 11:24 PM
Oh ya and for lukeskywalker1 if u want to put rain in maps on radiant (at least new version) you add fx_rain to your map anywhere, u can also add weatherzones to specify where the rain goes but if you dont it'll just put rain everwhere (including indoors)

Incase u wanted to know:fett:
 Druid Bremen
10-23-2003, 2:47 AM
How do you make weatherzones?
Page: 1 of 1