Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Plot hole?

Page: 1 of 1
 mr.durandpierre
10-15-2003, 3:40 AM
What exactly was the correlation between the green coral and the counterfiet tickets? I mean, what was the point of the whole coral subplot in the first place? Somewhere along the line I missed what was going on there.
 VampireNaomi
10-15-2003, 5:12 AM
I guess I've missed the purpose of it too. And I didn't even like Year Three that much. Something in it icks me, probably the violent death of my favourite character.
 mr.durandpierre
10-15-2003, 8:59 AM
Yeah, I didn't like years 3 and 4 as much, 'cuz they were way too straightforward (like you couldn't get stuck much, 'cuz there wasn't enough to do), but they did contain some of the best visuals in the game. But year 3 is probly still the worst, just 'cuz there's not much to explore, and the conveyer belt annoyed me. But violent deaths are cool and made me like year 3 more.
 scabb
10-15-2003, 12:56 PM
Obviously, spoilers afoot:

The green coral was mined at the end of the world by enslaved souls deprived of their gold tickets. The whole mining-operation was just a cover up for the ticket-selling, a way to launder the money. Domino got some coral as a "congrats" gift, because he was taking over the mining operation. That's what I think anyway, feel free to correct me.

There's a bug in the game that means you often miss out on a big chunk of dialogue, more specifically a chat with Dom about his and Hector's evil scheme. Said bug has something to do with the patch - you can find a transcript somewhere, I think MeddlingMonk or 8of12 posted it.
 GendoTheGreat
10-15-2003, 1:22 PM
I seem to recall someone telling me that conversation was left out of the game intentionally. I may also have been told why this was done, but I have a rotten memory. I'm sure somebody knows, though.
 Sally J Limones
10-15-2003, 10:27 PM
The only part of the game I really dislike is the underwater part. I want to SHOOT Chepito.
~Sal
 amadeus
10-16-2003, 12:08 AM
Does the patch actually delete the conversation? Because I do have the patch and I want to hear that conversation, if I can.
 Thrik
10-16-2003, 3:00 PM
MeddlingMonk posted the voices of the cutscene a while ago, you might be able to find the file if you search these forums. Failing that, he may be kind enough to repost them.
 Sanspoof
10-16-2003, 4:18 PM
Or you could use ScummREV to rip the sounds out.
 C Shutt
10-17-2003, 1:09 PM
A transcript of the conversation can be found in this thread. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95654)
 scabb
10-17-2003, 7:52 PM
Originally posted by GendoTheGreat
I seem to recall someone telling me that conversation was left out of the game intentionally.

Nah, it wasn't intentional. It was a bug caused by the patch and I don't think anyone at LEC was aware of it - Schafer wasn't anyway.
 MeddlingMonk
10-19-2003, 5:25 AM
I orginally played the game without the patch (it didn't exist then). The 'missing' dialog was not accessible from the beginning. I suspect, based on other bits of dialog not heard in the final game (and I admit this is all speculation), is that this and other things were removed because they revealed too much too soon.

But, basically, the connection between the tickets and the coral is this: once the tickets were stolen from good souls, something had to be done with those souls. The island was purchased as a dumping ground for those souls. The former owners mined the coral, and when they had mined all the coral reachable by their machinery, they decided to sell. Because there was still plenty of coral, Hector and Co. decided to use the good souls as slave labor and make a profit out of their imprisonment.

To hear the dialog (and other things not accessible in the game) just click on the home page link at the bottom of this post to get a zip file of the stuff.
Page: 1 of 1