Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Leaf with too many portals (MAX_PORTALS_ON_LEAF = 128)

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthStorm
10-09-2003, 6:08 PM
Leaf with too many portals (MAX_PORTALS_ON_LEAF = 128)

Ok what does this mean again.. sorry been out on this for a while//

Storm
 Emon
10-09-2003, 7:34 PM
It means there are too many portals surrounding a leaf node. Using detail brushes should fix it. You can make a brush detail under the Selection menu (I think) in Radiant. Detail brushes should only be applied to the level's details, never structures and walls. If you were making a map of your bedroom, your walls would be structural (default) brushes, and your tables, chairs, computer, etc., would be detail.
 DarthStorm
10-09-2003, 8:28 PM
sorry i dont get it..

but thx for the reply though..

i'm not native english..
 WadeV1589
10-09-2003, 8:38 PM
Brushes (what you built with in Radiant) can be either Detail or Structural:
Detail - a brush that looks nice and that's about it!
Structural - a brush that does stuff inside the game that can become confusing if you look into it :)

If you select a brush and then go to the Selection menu you can click either Make detail or Make structural. For all the brushes in your map that are NOT WALLS, FLOORS OR ROOFS (CEILINGS) make then detail.

If your map leaks when you compile, you made a wall, floor or roof detail which is bad :p

I know that sounds dumbed down to anyone who's first language is english but we now know this guy's first language is not english so let me off here :rolleyes:

What language do you speak? One of us may be able to explain it in your native tongue.
 Emon
10-09-2003, 9:45 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
For all the brushes in your map that are NOT WALLS, FLOORS OR ROOFS (CEILINGS) make then detail.

That is one of the worst ideas in the history of Q3 mapping.
 Lil Killa
10-09-2003, 10:59 PM
simpleest way to explain it is u you have a brush with too many sides.

find it and delete it or make it detail, or chop it up.
 WadeV1589
10-09-2003, 11:01 PM
That is one of the worst ideas in the history of Q3 mapping.I challenge you to explain how to decide what to and what not to make detail in a map you know nothing about to a person who doesn't speak english very well :p
When it comes down to it anyhow you said the same thing to himIf you were making a map of your bedroom, your walls would be structural (default) brushes, and your tables, chairs, computer, etc., would be detail.Even if you didn't mean it, I was just paraphrasing exactly what you said :p
 Emon
10-10-2003, 3:10 AM
No, because in my example, it's just one room. More people want one room in their map. Making everything structural means the whole map will be drawn on the screen at once, it's extremely slow, and totally obliterates the entire purpose of the vis process.
 Lil Killa
10-10-2003, 3:40 AM
Also detail brushes make your vis process shorter when ussed correctly;)
 zeimi
10-10-2003, 4:54 AM
Why not make all brushes detail then if you want a fast VIS process? :p
 Lil Killa
10-10-2003, 5:37 AM
because then you would have a huge leak. every map (that is surounded by atleas a cubed sky box) needs to be made of atleast 6 structual brushes. It could be less like if u had a pryamid type box but thats about it. any more and you would have a leak as detail brushes are not seen (plz correct me if i'm wrong Emon or anyone else) by the vis process. If you use detail brushes like Emon said for only the details in your rooms like desks, light fixtures, chairs, ect..
 DarthStorm
10-10-2003, 6:53 AM
So if im correct and I got these rosters in my roof
they just have too many sides textured. I should make it smaller..

umm best way to show is a screenie,, ill get the screenshot later...

Storm

ps: thanks guys.. oh my language is dutch
 zeimi
10-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Erm. What I said was (very dumb) sarcasm...
 WadeV1589
10-10-2003, 11:40 AM
No, because in my example, it's just one room. More people want one room in their map. Making everything structural means the whole map will be drawn on the screen at once, it's extremely slow, and totally obliterates the entire purpose of the vis process.So you either know less about VIS than I first thought or you totally misunderstood my paraphrasing.

I said make anything but walls, floors and ceilings into detail brushes, rooms are separated by WALLS believe it or not so I wouldn't make those detail. I very very simply, and from how I read it easily) said anything INSIDE A ROOM becomes detail. Of course there are exceptions, large pillows that you can hide behind in a room should be structural...and with hint brushes would obscure anything behind them.

So again I say, what I said is exactly what you said, just in a much simpler way :p Or shall we continue this pointless debate?
 Emon
10-10-2003, 2:59 PM
To me, it sounded like you told him to make everything but the outer hull of his map structural. Which is really retarded.
 WadeV1589
10-10-2003, 3:46 PM
It's not retarded, it's just not a wise idea on a complex map, although I'm sure a tiny map wouldn't be hurt by it :p Retarded is such a strong word...

I've released a lot of maps so I do know about vis, my point is how do you explain something like vis which requires enough brain power as is without the added complexity of not understanding the language you're speaking about it in?
 Emon
10-10-2003, 3:52 PM
Language doesn't mean anything. Telling him the wrong thing is only going to make it harder for him to understand later.
 GothiX
10-10-2003, 3:54 PM
Originally posted by DarthStorm
ps: thanks guys.. oh my language is dutch

Well then contact me via MSN (gothicx3@hotmail.com), and I'll explain it to you in Dutch.
 WadeV1589
10-10-2003, 3:56 PM
If language didn't mean anything he wouldn't have said he didn't understand you because english wasn't his first language :p Lol hey GothiX, I thought you and Emon were the same person to start with. You know what I mean ;)
 Emon
10-10-2003, 8:13 PM
Um, I'm saying you shouldn't tell him false information just to make it easier for him to understand because he cannot speak English well enough. Telling him the wrong information is only going to make it worse when he can't even understand you to begin with.
 WadeV1589
10-10-2003, 9:04 PM
But we've already discussed that was a misinterpretation on your part. It wasn't the wrong information, just misunderstood information.
 DarthStorm
10-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Common Guys, lets not fight theres enough fighting in the world.
 WadeV1589
10-11-2003, 1:36 AM
We're not fighting, we're debating at the worst :p
Page: 1 of 1