Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

jedi academy the book

Page: 1 of 1
 Raanes
10-04-2003, 9:46 AM
is jedi academy basert on the book with the same name?
 keestuijp
10-04-2003, 10:01 AM
no it's not, unfortunately. you see 'the' jedi academy from the books a lot though, but that's like the same as jedi outcast. you don't have the jedi's from the books etc.
 Tlasrael
10-04-2003, 10:04 AM
I really don't think it is. Or at least I haven't heard anything like that before. I assume that Raven has made it up completely (the plot, characters, etc.).
Of course there is Jedi Academy Trilogy written by Kevin J. Anderson(?), but it has clearly no connection with this game.
 Darth Talliusc
10-04-2003, 2:22 PM
its not based on it. but it is heavily related to that series.

several times luke mentions jedi names such as "tionne, streen, corran" who were jedi in that series (ok actually corran wasnt in that specific series but if you read i jedi, then you would know he was there for that)

and that temple that is in the beginning where the force is drawn from? thats exar kuns temple, its all explained in i jedi.

this game relies HEAVILY on the EU books already out there. (and comics too). like the planet byss and vjun are straight out of the EU.

the EU does not stand completely together, but even in the latest NJO books they do mention kyle katarn.

so sorry tlasrael, but it has a very large connection to that trilogy (yeah i know im sad and pathetic for knowing all this).

so i hope that answers that.
 Starfire13
10-04-2003, 11:02 PM
Darth Talliusc, thanks for posting all that. I was going to mention some of those points, but you saved me the trouble. :p

I didn't know the NJO books mention Kyle Katarn, though. That's interesting. (I personally don't read the NJO).

However, I would say that there is no way we could tell if that temple in the opening of the game is Exar Kun's. Yavin 4 is dotted with Massassi Temples. If it had been Exar Kun's I think they would have mentioned it.
 Ardent
10-05-2003, 3:42 AM
The Dark Forces game have always been somewhat estranged from the Star Wars continuity at large, but they've never been labelled Infinities. So Kyle Katarn is a canon character...so is Rosh Penin. Jaden, however, is questionable, as the character can be one of any five species/genders.

Sometimes I wonder why attempts to include more of the iconic EU characters haven't been made, but I supposed it'd be a huge undertaking.
 Kurgan
10-05-2003, 7:57 AM
Maybe because there are so many EU characters, they figure the classic characters are more marketable and recognizable.

I have heard people say that the plot of Jedi Outcast is VERY similar to the book "I, Jedi" (though from reports it sounds like a very hokey book as far as Star Wars lore goes, probably makes a better game than a novel). I have only read a couple of pages out of the book (at Barnes & Noble) so I can't say for sure.

As far as Jedi Academy, no, they just threw as many references to the canon films and EU as they could and made it into a JK2 sequel. Nothing wrong with that! ; )
 idontlikegeorge
10-05-2003, 8:14 AM
Originally posted by Stafire13
However, I would say that there is no way we could tell if that temple in the opening of the game is Exar Kun's. Yavin 4 is dotted with Massassi Temples. If it had been Exar Kun's I think they would have mentioned it.

Well, Kyle did mention how the disturbance could be "residual Dark Side aura from the Temple" - which could imply that. But yeah, the exact chronology of the time is fairly vague, and it's not sure if it's after or before the incident with Kyp Durron and Exar Kun and all that.

But the thing is, most of the time, individual stories are self-contained enough that it could have happened in the stream of things anyway. Only major nitpickers will find non-issue "continuity problems."
 Starfire13
10-05-2003, 8:52 AM
I would suggest that most of the temples on Yavin 4 would have residual dark-side energy, since they were all used by the Sith.

However, I'll admit that the fact that zeroed in on this temple, and nothing is mentioend of them going on a grand tour of all the available temples, would seem to suggest that it could be Exar Kun's. So, you could very well be right. ;)
 idontlikegeorge
10-05-2003, 9:07 AM
Oh yeah, I did forget that the Sith were supposedly there long long before even Exar Kun's time...

But thanks for thinking of the point, that they specifically chose that temple to drain energy from - and since they had to do it during the diversion caused from the shuttle crash, they would have picked a specific target. Although, who the hell knows, the temple they chose could have been any old Joe's temple, if the writer of the story says so!
Page: 1 of 1