Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A question about animation......

Page: 1 of 1
 StaffMaster
10-03-2003, 2:37 AM
I remember readini a post where Chang said that if we wanted to create animations we needed Softimage.

Can you only use softimage?

What about StudioMax?
 Emon
10-03-2003, 2:38 AM
3ds max works, you can probably use anything that exports to the correct dotXSI format.
 Oidar
10-04-2003, 9:10 PM
Just to clarify, you can't bring an XSI animation file over into 3dsmax. Why would you even wany to? XSI is a far superior progam if you compare the 2. The other reason I say you can't is because in order for xsi to save on file size and make it relativly small(the save file that is) everything in xsi is saved to different folders. All your textures(unless you use custom ones) and effects and stuff come with the program, unlike max where u have to buy them or download free ones. So if you send an xsi file to someone else with xsi they can open it and run in like nothing. 3Dsmax, both ppl need the same plugins, textures, ect.
Oh, and just to cliarify one more thing. trying to port an xsi animation to 3dsmax would be stupid to try and do anyway due to the different animation peramiters both programs use.
 Duncan_10158
10-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Oidar, let me guess.... you sell it? :)

(sorry i needed to say that)
 Psyk0Sith
10-05-2003, 3:34 AM
3D max and XSI can both create animations period. Even Wudan coded his own animation tool.
 Oidar
10-05-2003, 6:30 AM
sell it? no. Took it for 2 years to get a degree in 3d animation and special effects yes. Its pointless to argue this, yes Psyk0Sith both create animations, but to take an animation thats been created in xsi and then port it to max is pointless, and just to shed some light on the whole creating an animation for JA, yes u can make an animation in max with a JA or custom model, but save it and convert it to xsi and try to use it and its not going to work. If you doubt me then try it, your trying to compare apples and oranges.
Sure both programs do the same thing but in totally different ways. Oh and if your still doubtful,

"How difficult will it be to make our own custom animations?
To make new animations, you’d need a copy of SoftImage… we don’t expect that many people have access to that…"
Just email
Michael Chang Gummelt @ raven. He'll tell you the same thing i just did.
 Duncan_10158
10-05-2003, 9:30 AM
you dont sell it? but i am sure you would get that job. :)

(sorry, dont take me serious Oidar)

seriously, you are right, Oidar. i made animations in 3ds max and it was the most difficult thing i ever made. i finaly brought about 10 animation sequences in game and it realy looked crap. its so difficult to make smooth humanlike animation without moution capturing. i dont know Softimage, but looking at the animations it must be hell good, as Oidar said.
 Psyk0Sith
10-05-2003, 3:16 PM
Well yes i agree that its pointless to port it over, im talking about creating new anims from scratch with 3D max.

Ive created my own GLA's and they worked fine with modview but maybe its another story when its actually loaded in-game. I think Corto had partial success on that matter.

I also agree that'd be insane to animate all of those frames manually!.

I was also aware of that quote ;):

"How difficult will it be to make our own custom animations?
To make new animations, you’d need a copy of SoftImage… we don’t expect that many people have access to that…"
 CortoCG
10-05-2003, 3:52 PM
I don't understand why are we going through this discussion once again.
Humanoid animations for Jedi Outcast ARE a fact, and it's a fact merging custom animations together or with Raven's humanoid animations thanks to a command line program made by ASk.
It's also a fact that all of this was accomplished with 3dsmax (the creation of a correct skeleton aswell as the new animations) and not Softimage, no matter how much more powerfull SI is.
What me and ASk found out is a realiable process to make animations for the game. I'm not, in any chance, a consumed uber animator. In fact I find it difficult and annoying, and I suck at it.
Page: 1 of 1