Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Having troubles w. Modview

Page: 1 of 1
 Dethsaint
10-02-2003, 4:15 PM
I'm having serious troubles getting Modview to work properly, and since it seems to be an almost invaluable tool I thought I'd post my problem(s) here :rolleyes:

First of all, do I need to put it somewhere "special" to make it work?

Secondly:

1 of 2 things happen when I try to open a .glm file in Modview:

1) I get following msg. in a windows popup:

Filesystem call made without initialization

2) Or this msg. also in a window popup:

Model name: *insert filepath here* exceeds max_qpath

If you guys have some suggestions to solve my little problem please feel free to share them with me :D

*uses the force - "You will share your info with me..."* :rolleyes:
 Prime
10-02-2003, 7:54 PM
Originally posted by Dethsaint
2) Or this msg. also in a window popup:

Model name: *insert filepath here* exceeds max_qpath This is saying that your directory path name is too long. You need to shorten it...
 Dethsaint
10-03-2003, 5:00 PM
Hmmm... Maybe I'm missing something all together :confused:

Do I need to install a parent program first like 3dstudio max before it works? I seem to recall something about it but it might be for another game :(
 =CNR=Preacher
10-04-2003, 9:38 AM
My JA install dir was to long too, so what I did was just fake it by making a different path for editing and then it worked.
make a following directory structure (just like the game):

x:\jkt\Gamedata\
(here you make a dir called: Tools and place the modviewer under) (D:\jkt\Gamedata\Tools).

Then make the following dir and place your modelcontent + dirs under it:
x:\jkt\Gamedata\base\

(for model Nomak it would be: x:\jkt\Gamedata\base\models\players\nomak)

If you run it now, it will not exeed the max path and for me this worked. ALso you will find out now wheter the other problem also is solved or not :)
 Dethsaint
10-04-2003, 5:22 PM
Originally posted by Dethsaint
Hmmm... Maybe I'm missing something all together :confused:

Do I need to install a parent program first like 3dstudio max before it works? I seem to recall something about it but it might be for another game :(

It worked! :D

Thanks alot for the help - Now I only need to figure out how to actually use it :rolleyes:

*Patience young skinning Padawan... :ben: *
 =CNR=Preacher
10-06-2003, 9:09 AM
Modview can be used to:

-check out if your custom model/skin shows up right
-check regular models/skins
-check for tags to show up in saber models

MD3view (also in the tools dir.) can be used to convert MD3 models to ghoul2 (.glm) models, which are used by Jk/JA.

AS you will notice, the last one is very usefull for those who make custom models etc :)
 Dethsaint
10-06-2003, 4:01 PM
Well so far I've figured out most of what I need for doing a decent skin. I'm about 3/4 done with it and modview has been a HUGE asset. The last skin I did I used JO MP for reviewing purposes and it took ages to get anywhere :rolleyes:

I have one question though: Is it possible to pan the camera up and down along the y-axis? I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do that, and previewing the face of the skin is pretty hard with a locked cam in 90/80/10 degrees :confused:
Page: 1 of 1