Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Game Itself ( READ THIS! )

Page: 1 of 1
 Tidus01
10-01-2003, 12:34 AM
Since the developers had already decided to create a third series to the Jedi Knight game, they obviously should have added more features. Okay, the dual and staff lightsabers were cool, so were some of the new vehicles but they should have based the game more on evolving into a jedi, hence the name, " jedi ACADEMY ".

What would be cool and interesting is the following method of learning a force power:

a) choosing a specific force power
b) able to train in it (for example: taking upon yourself the power of force lightning, then going through different test and courses INSIDE the academy)

Also, I was disappointed that we weren't able to walk through the academy. Speaking of which, the game should have let you walk through the academy, where there are special rooms. For example:

- a room for dueling ( practise )
- an apartment for your charecter to go into
- mission sign-up room
- and others as well

They should have a city where you can walk around and buy equipment and health and armor. And to make the game a whole lot cooler, add city vehicles you obtain when you enter the city. therefore its like grandtheft auto where you drive around and stuff... this time you can interact with buildings...

So what do you guys think of these additions to the JEDI ACADEMY game?

( post up some of your ideas too!! )

:D
 MuRaSaMuNe
10-01-2003, 12:39 AM
While all those ideas are good and all, the Jedi Knight series tends to tilt towards the FPS-action area. However, it would be interesting if they made it FPS/RPG ala Deus Ex ;) .... then again, that would cut into the action
 StormHammer
10-01-2003, 2:14 AM
Yes, there should have been more focus on the Academy.

I played Elite Force II not long before playing Jedi Academy, and I stated at the time how good it was when you returned to the Enterprise, heard people chatting - or when you visited Starfleet Academy, and could chat to many of the NPCs there.

Although many might consider these levels to be simple 'filler', they worked to introduce you to your team-mates and other characters, and gave you a sense of 'place', and therefore, a better 'context' for the rest of the game. Without those levels, it would have been a non-stop shooting marathon, and a far poorer game.

I was hoping (thought not really expecting, if truth be told) that you would be able to actually explore the Academy more in JA. I wanted not only to be able to visit the areas shown in Jedi Outcast, the last outing - but lots of new areas too. It started in a promising way, with the journey towards the Academy - but then every time you see the Academy it's in a cut scene.

I would much rather have preferred remaining in-character while Luke delivered his speech, etc.

And it would have been good if some kind of Academy sub-plot had been woven into the proceedings - like a few students being in the Academy at the time of the theft and falling under suspicion. And you being asked to investigate - or perform other tasks. So much more could have been done...
 Hamburglar
10-01-2003, 6:52 AM
An apartment? Sounds like you want a star wars addon for The Sims...
 StormHammer
10-01-2003, 6:58 AM
Originally posted by Hamburglar
An apartment? Sounds like you want a star wars addon for The Sims...

Not at all. ;P I hate The Sims...

I'm simply talking about placing more of a focus on the Academy, by allowing the player to walk around and explore, and interact with the other students - and possibly more teachers. It could have added some necessary depth to the proceedings...
 STTCT
10-01-2003, 7:11 AM
Well - I did expect more "academy" than this "Tomb Raideresc" starter level. Dubbed "the academy". Oh well..but realty is..how many tuskin raiders would you kill at a school?
 Prime
10-01-2003, 3:59 PM
Actually, I think I would find doing trivial things around the academy pretty boring. I much prefer getting out into the "real world"...
 ogre_h
10-01-2003, 7:37 PM
I liked going right on missions too, but a place to practice and refine moves would be nice. Maybe some tips on the best way to use a force power.
 HertogJan
10-02-2003, 6:08 AM
Yeah I liked the way you went back to the ship in Elite Force 2... And I especially liked the base of UNATCO in Deus Ex :D

But you know, I find the story, or actually the implementation of the story, in JA rather poor. Because of the standalone missions, you don't really get a feeling that you're doing something usefull. You head to a planet where some cult is supposed to be to 'gather information' and you end up killing everyone there. There are only a few missions where you actually do what your briefing told you to do :rolleyes:

I would've loved to be at the academy more and fight against a 'holographic representation' of Luke for example... And the training level was very poor, the one in JO was waaaay better and more challenging (especially the part of reaching your lightsaber)...

*sigh* It's too bad. I don't have time to play MP, so I wanted the SP to be great, and sorry to say, but it's not. The action is cool, but not enough to immerse (sp?) me into the SW world...
 yoda_alex
10-02-2003, 8:26 AM
I would have liked to return to the acadamy after the compulsory story missions for example. I would have allowed you to practice with your new sabre stance for one thing.

You could also have had to go on more training levels in order to increase your neutral force powers further. It seemed weird that your light/dark powers increased one star per level but at certain points in the story all your neatral powers got a star. Going on a training level would have explained better why your neutral suddenly go up (you have trained in them ehile at the acadamy).
 STTCT
10-02-2003, 9:18 AM
I especially love how as a "learner" and a student at the jedi Academy you are dumped off to find a Sandcrawler and right away you slaughter as many tusken raiders as you can find. Is it just me....or does that seem a little "un-jedi"....
 BloodRiot
10-02-2003, 9:52 AM
There is a way of making some of it possible without turning it into a rpg.

I think freelancer is a good comparation to what im about to explain.

I'll devide this into SP and MP:

SP, Take the Academy SP map from JO and or Jedi Academy mod Maps from JO. Make each room have it's own scripted code that allows you to train a particular force power, the saber vs the drones/robots/other npc students(scripted to make the fight stop before the actual killing of course ;p) or a mix of techniques maybe. Get a random mission generator a la SOF2.

MP, you could get everything except probably the random mission generator. and you'd gain the ability to train with or vs human opponents.

Im not thinking about what it's possible or impossible to do, just a way i think it would be good without becomming too much of an RPG... maybe just naming it Training mode or Academy mode ;p.

Cheers.
Page: 1 of 1