Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ragdoll physics in MP works!

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
09-30-2003, 7:32 AM
Thanks to some help from ChangKhan, I've gotten ragdoll physics to work in MP.

Here it is (for those who haven't already discovered it):

\broadsword 1

That's it (client side), and it's done!

Now make a kill and before they respawn, you can push or pull their body around, plus they will fall more loosely and lean against walls and such.

Adds a little bit more realism to the game. ; )

Turn it off and they will clip through walls and act like a mannequin again.
 Andy867
09-30-2003, 7:39 AM
gee, I wonder whose lifeless corpse that is....:D
 Kurgan
09-30-2003, 7:43 AM
nudge, nudge...
 Sam
09-30-2003, 7:45 AM
You think its broad sword or broads word....?

the world may never know.........:p

Thanks for the command
 griff38
09-30-2003, 11:50 AM
There are 3 broadsword cvars that I know of.

They are:

Broadsword 1 or 0.

BroadswordKickOrigin 1 or 0.

Broadsword_kickbones 1 or 0.

I haven't learned what they all do yet.
 Agen
09-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Does it combine well with dismemberment? :D
 defalc
09-30-2003, 1:29 PM
Kurgan you ripper. ;)
 StormHammer
09-30-2003, 5:00 PM
Excellent news. Thanks for the heads-up Kurgan. ;)
 ExcelsioN
09-30-2003, 5:47 PM
Thanks Kurgan. :)

I'm gonna have a lot of fun throwing the dead body of my fellow duelist around. :D
 Kurgan
09-30-2003, 6:45 PM
Actually there are a bunch of broadsword commands, I just (assumed) that broadsword 1 turned them all on.

I could be wrong though and further testing is needed... feel free to post your results. ; )
 mariners2001
09-30-2003, 8:45 PM
hmmm...i turned it on and see no difference....do i have to restart or something? pushing and pulling dead bodies does nothing...

also...is there a cvar to allow pushing/pulling of items/weapons? I can't believe they took this out for MP.
 Emon
09-30-2003, 9:10 PM
There are at least a half dozen broadsword cvars. Type "broadsword" then hit TAB to get a list. I messed around with various settings for all of them (not just 1 and 0, it doesn't always mean on or off), and the only thing I can do is make it worse, nothing better.

"broadsword 2" turns off death animations and does straight ragdoll, and it's quite ugly.

I can't understand why this is so half-assed, both in SP and MP. Bones are rotated the wrong way, and it doesn't do it fast enough, causing those clipping errors. A result of LEC rushing the game out the door? If so, does anyone know if Raven has plans to patch it?
 Kurgan
09-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Lol... complain complain. I use broadsword 1 and (I think) this turns them all on to the default setting.

It looks better than nothing at all, which is what you got in JK2.

You can't push a body around if the person has already respawned (in MP) btw.
 Wertdagf
09-30-2003, 11:50 PM
yes, the rag doll bones are very very poorly done. raven should have atleast added a karma editor so that people could fix their own mistakes. Take Raven sheild for example thje original karma files were extremly stupid and caused retarded deaths (like in JA) But Their company included a file that controled the bonestructure of the models so that they could be edited. And thanks to that one file it saved me from having to throw ravensheild away.

in a patch raven needs to include ALL CHEATS. And a way to edit the karma effects.

ive seen legs twist the wrong way around. ive seen halfs of bodys sitting upright when cut off. ive seen bodys lying on the floor vibrating as if it was being shocked by electricity. right now it looks worse that the scripted deaths were hands and arms still move whne cut off. Karma effects in this game were supposed to be cool NOT somthing you would try to avoid.
 mariners2001
10-01-2003, 12:23 AM
so does anyone know anything about the inability to push/pull items like in SP? very frustrating.

also does anyone know what the broadsword_extra1 and broadsword_extra2 does? couldn't tell when i tested it...
 Emon
10-01-2003, 1:13 AM
Erm, Wertdagf, JA doesn't use the Karma physics engine, it uses some proprietary stuff that Raven made using GHOUL2.

Kurgan, I'm not asking for Karma or Havok, I'm just asking for something that doesn't screw up.

Pushing and pulling bodies would require server side changes, because a client with ragdoll could push someone and everyone without ragdoll would be seeing strange effects. Same goes for pushing of items, which I think was taken away for gameplay reasons, but what's lame is it's part of the fun... The original JK had that, and it was great.
 Kurgan
10-01-2003, 9:06 AM
; )

Okay, well so long as nobody is mad at ME for sharing this information, after all I didn't make JA!
 [D]Fugs
10-01-2003, 9:43 AM
No, it's great thanks mate and we'll be trying out all those broadsword commands on our server later.

Thank you. :)
Page: 1 of 1