Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JO SP maps in JA

Page: 1 of 1
 Prime
09-28-2003, 10:51 PM
I saw this posted in another thread by JediLurker, and I thought it might be worthwhile to post it in its own thread. It was originally posted on another board, but here is some information about playing JO SP maps in JA.

You can read the thread
here. (http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=91472)

"How do I get the original JO maps into the JA game?
Do I just take the assests file from JO and rename it and place it in the base folder or do I extract the maps folder from the pk3 and make it a new pk3?
Just wondering b/c I want to play Bespin again with this game!!!"

Do I have a answer for you all! I desided to answer his question with a new thread so more people would have a chance to see the answer. Anyway's, YES you can play the entire JO game (SP mode AND MP maps) from JA! Here's how you do it simply:

First, you have to copy and paste all the assets.pk3 files from JO game, to your desktop (or anywhere else you prefer). Now go to "Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base" (or wherever you installed the game). Notice the assets0.pk3, assets1.pk3, and the assets2.pk3. They all start with the letter "A", and since JO reads all the "base" files in alphabetical order, their the first thing the game "reads". Follow me so far? Great!

Now you could put all the copies of the assets.pk3 from the JO game right in the base foldier, but that wouldn't exactly work, seeing as the textures, for instance, of JA would be all sqrewed up. Insted You RENAME the JO assets.pk3, so that JA reads them FIRST, then the original game assets.pk3's next!

Name them something like this: "0_assets0.pk3, 0_assets1.pk3, 0_assets2.pk3, etc". The results are simply this. All (most) of the JO game is available, but using JA's game specks. Now, this is NOT perfect to say the least. Some of JO SP games are either "funny/strange" or don't quite work. For instance, in the SP level kejim_post, you'll find kyle and jan standing within their ship during the cutscene. In the level yavin_temple, you will be stuck where you are in the beginning and cant move (I think it has something to do with the scripting for the level interfearing with JA). Maybe someone has some idea's to fix this?

However, all of SP mode will be available in the game, but they may (will) have possible problems. In addition, all the MP maps will be available also, but you'll have to use the console to active them (the same apply's JO SP maps). I have not tryed multiplayer yet, nor have I explored all the JO SP maps, but I'm gonna!!!!!
In addition, I put my first SP JO map from the comunity into JA this morning (the ladder map, in case your wondering). Works perfectly!!!! I didn't have to convert anything, I just put the .pk3 into the base foldier if JA. Simple!!!! Now I'm off to put other JO SP maps into the game. "Try it, youl like it!", say's mikey!!!!

Custom JO SP maps should work as well...
 Tesla
09-28-2003, 11:48 PM
Awesome :D !!
I'm going to try this, thanks Prime :)
 Astrotoy7
09-29-2003, 1:41 PM
Wow !

Ive tried this - a bit glitchy, but some levels are just a treat ! I'm just glad it was so easy, I've been reading all sorts of posts about folders and textures and whatnot. This was so easy !!

I think this info should be stuck somewhere because it is always asked by many SP fans !!

MTFBWYA
 Neverhoodian
09-29-2003, 1:48 PM
Now THIS is useful. I haven't tried it out yet, but this is a great discovery. On behalf of all JO SP gamers out there, I thank you.
 Prime
09-29-2003, 4:38 PM
Perhaps it would be worthwhile for people to post here the maps that they have tried and whether they work reasonably well or not. That would save people from trying everything themselves. Then we would have a list of what maps works.
 Neverhoodian
09-29-2003, 11:26 PM
This thread seriously needs to be stuck. That way people won't have to go searching for the thread.
 Tesla
09-29-2003, 11:50 PM
The Yavin_Final level works, but it doesn't play the music file for that level, Kejim_Post works, and so does pit, bespin_platform. :)
 Astrotoy7
09-30-2003, 7:33 AM
Starting from scratch at Kejim, i can only get my saber back if i put in give all, but this isnt a surprise

Cairn bay - starts fine - there's a grate you break up high - it leads to a dead end unfortunately !! (whereas normally you go through to another area(If I remember correctly).

In the level (cairn dock?) where you are with lando and you go to his ship, the lifts dont work to get down there

artus detention seemed ok, but i havent done the fan bit yet

doom comm - MY FAVOURITE LEVEL -- unfortunately this does not start. I get the cinematic of kyle - he is walking but not moving - he looks like he is moonwalking ! He has the comlink to his mouth but isnt saying anything,. This cinematic just pauses when i try to skip it...bugger...i really liked that level.. I wonder if it loads off a save game a bit further into the piece, too bad I have gotten rid of all my jo saves....bugger !

One interesting thing though, I had downloaded the 'modified for JA' version of the CTF garrison level from pcgamemods. It worked ok but had textures missing. since importing the JO assetts files as described above, these textures have returned !! The music works too, just to add

Another thing, which was a bit of a bummer, is that no music accompanies any of the SP levels I have played so far...this sucks, but I guess beggars cant be choosers, I am looking forward to the "dummies" guide to importing JO maps perfectly. Maybe Raven/someone clever can make an executable program that just does it at a click !!

Nonetheless, thanks Prime !!!

MTFBWYA
 Prime
10-01-2003, 4:25 PM
Has anyone tried any JO custom maps?
 Kurgan
10-05-2003, 7:53 AM
Stickied this in the mapping forum, thanks to a request. ; )

The only JK2 maps I've played in JA are the JK2 converted map packs I downloaded off of pcgamemods.com (duel, ctf, and ffa maps converted to JA format with most stuff intact).
 Tesla
10-16-2003, 6:53 PM
Matrix Dojo
Matrix Subway
FFA Episode 1 (By LivingDeadJedi ) (Go to JK2Files.com, FFA Section)

Work fine. :)

Haven't tried all the maps i had for JO just yet, will try more soon. :D
 MasterN64
10-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Hallelujah!!!
 Prime
10-24-2003, 1:55 AM
I was using som JO MP maps (the Kamino ones) in SP and spawning some of the JA reborn. When they used Rage (I think. The one where they look up and glow red), it appears that the texture is missing, because there seems to be the default missing texture swirling around them, instead of the red lightning.

Does anyone know why this would happen, and where in the assets.pk3s this effect is located? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)
 Prime
11-04-2003, 1:11 PM
In case anyone is interested, I tried the following custom JO SP maps with few or no problems:

ImpHothV3
imp_base
nemesisofkatarn (just released)
ladder
morian
maw

I'll post more when I try them...
 J.P.B.
12-29-2003, 5:17 PM
Hey guys!

Look I'm almost through with all JO SP maps. But as you said there are some problems. In some cases I had to use cheats to unlock certain things which scripts just wouldn't respond.
But concerning the cutsecenes that get stuck, I've found that if you use this console command:

cam_disable

you are automatically spawned into the map and you can go on with the level. For example in artus_topside map.

If you want to make the game feel more like the original it is a good idea to enter this console command at the beginning of a map and save the game:

sex m

snd kyle

playermodel kyle

setforcexxxxx (whatever you like)

give xx (another whatever you like)

PD: The game seems to chrash when you enter ''give weapon_saber'' as well as in the yavin trial map when you get the saber.
If someone is having the same problem please tell me.

PD2: you can get the saber with ''give all'' anyway.
 lauser
01-30-2004, 8:25 AM
LOL!! This is very old news but thanks for posting it anyways.

I would like to add that doing this will increase your chances of having shader problems/conflicts. Like missing shaders in JA or flare problems.
 EvilJedi
05-15-2004, 2:33 AM
This works really well, just it's histerical, after you killed desann, kyle jumps up instead of walking towards the edge and jumping up and kyle falls down and dies im still ROFL...
 riceplant
08-08-2005, 7:59 AM
Bespin_undercity doesn't work, there's an infinite loop in the first script, and without the levelsource, it will be harder to fix. Does anyone know if anyone has attempted this (Re-writing the scripts) to make some of these levels work? The scripts were all released, but without the level source, some things will be difficult to fix (Like the mirror in yavin_final).

EDIT: Ok, added a small wait to the patrol loops, means npcs just stand still but level plays. I get another runaway loop when I approach one of the cloud car hangars, though, and can't find the relevant script. None of the SP scripts even mention a navgoal 'hangar24'. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

EDIT: Ok, seems Amidala posted while I was typing that last edit. The mod kind of makes me playing with the files redundant, though I'm still interested in more level sources if available.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
08-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Yes, someone came up with a mod that fixes the scripts http://www.pcgamemods.com/11972/)
 LightNinja
08-08-2005, 7:09 PM
This works really well, just it's histerical, after you killed desann, kyle jumps up instead of walking towards the edge and jumping up and kyle falls down and dies im still ROFL...
Yah man i got like ¬¬!, anyway is really cool cuz i knew that mp maps worked fine in JA but i didn't know about sp ones, also i'll download some of the SP maps for JO (there are a few ones that are cool) to see if it works too.
 riceplant
08-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Download the maps? Err, they come with JO (Big surprise there). Also, they don't work properly even with the mod that Amidala linked to, and can't be fixed.
 LightNinja
08-09-2005, 2:07 PM
¬¬ forgot the word CUSTOM SP maps
 TigerFX
08-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Anyone know if this would work with other Q3 games?
 riceplant
08-23-2005, 12:36 PM
TigerFX: I wouldn't have thought so. The engine for JO and JA is heavily modified, and maps would likely be incompatible. Not to mention the textures and weapons would not show up, along with all npcs, animations and scripting. The only reason JO maps work is that JA is practically an expansion for JO, it just happens to include the original (modified) engine as well.

I have a question of my own: One reason the maps are incompatible is that JO uses a different navgoal type, correct? But when I decompile the maps, they seem to use the same waypoint_navgoal as JA. Is the difference in the JO compiler, then? Also, is there a way to preserve texture scale and position, as this would make re-compiling JO's maps for JA much, much easier.
 CrisG
07-31-2008, 12:23 AM
I know this is a very old topic, but i am studying old mods and maps again...i have read thru this thread and see some posters who are still here...I am trying the ImHothV3 mod now, finally a buddy here sent me a copy i was looking for years for it...i cannot get it to show up in JKA, can someone tell me the process for running it?

i will put it into JKO in the usual way, and expect it will run there fine..but i am interested in how ppl get the maps to run in JKA if they like ImpHoth have no pk3 file.....the main directory is called pk3 but there is no pk3 file in the set. thanks for any ideas.
 Forceboat
07-31-2008, 9:35 AM
Hey Cris,

To make it playable in Jedi Academy, you'll need to do quite a bit to convert it over. First, you'll have to make sure it has all of the textures it's supposed to have. I am not sure, I think I remember it having all the textures that are already available in Jedi Academy, but there may be some that were only in Jedi Outcast, so the best thing to do is extract them from Jedi Outcast and make a folder in the pk3 and add them in. Second, the scripts will have to be updated, changing "kyle" to "player" in every single one of them. I've been thinking about making another conversion of that level. I used to have one, then I lost it. I made a big mod out of it. I replaced the Stormtroopers with the actual Snowtroopers it should have, and replaced the Reborns with the same. I never could figure out why Reborns would be in Echo Base, but that was just me and my personal taste. I even had music replacements for the music - I found some tracks ripped from Rebel Strike, Rogue Squadron 3, and replaced the music with them. Mostly Hoth action music. And even gave Kyle Hoth clothing for the skin. Hey, if you are going to have Kyle on Hoth, you might as well have him dressed for the place, right? And I also replaced the Imperial Officers with a "General Veers" reskin of the Imperial Commando model. Sadly. I don't know if I will ever be able to find that one again. I think it was only on the now-defunct pcgamemods. I 'll have to surf the net and see if it is uploaded anywhere else. Well, enough rambling.
 Kurgan
05-31-2009, 5:48 PM
Has there been any more development on this?
 Forceboat
06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey Kurgan, sorry I didn't respond back right away. Do you mean any development on converting ImpHoth to Jedi Academy? If you are interested, I can put one together if you wish. I never did find that Hoth Veers reskin I was looking for; I found something similar, but it's not as good but I could do some work on the skin; and I could make up a sort of Kyle reskin of him in Hoth clothing and replace the other characters with Snowtroopers as well. Just let me know. :)
 Kurgan
06-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Along those lines, yeah.
 Forceboat
06-12-2009, 9:10 PM
I haven't forgotten about you, Kurgan. I will try to whip up a version Of Imperial Hoth for Jedi Academy this weekend. I think so everyone can make an optional choice, I am going to make an optional pk3 containing the more realistic replacements that would fit better in this map. That will contain the Hoth gear Kyle, the Hoth Gear Imperial Officer, and Snowtroopers. Then you can use it as an option. Stay tuned, and I'll post again when it's ready. :)

UPDATE: It's just about ready. I apologize profusely to everyone for not having it ready when I said I would, it took longer than I thought and I also had company the other night drop in so that slowed me down some. I have toyed with the idea of adding in a second optional pk3 that replaces the default Raven Imperial Officers and Stormtroopers with HapSlash's models, just to make it look nice. The other pk3 is done and has a Hoth outfit for Kyle, a Hoth armor/clothing thing for the AT-ST Pilot model, a skin of the AT-AT Pilot, the Wampa, a slight reskin of the Snowtrooper, and a reskin of the Clone Marine model made by Pra Villon from Mars Marshall's Marine model to a Cold Assault trooper. Like I said, that will be an optional replacement; the original models will be present should no one want to play with the optional pk3s at all. I still need to make up one more file, some text files, etc., and I will get it uploaded. Will update this post again.
 Forceboat
06-16-2009, 9:39 PM
Hey Kurgan and everyone,

The conversion is uploaded.

Imperial Hoth for JA (http://www.filefront.com/13907019/imphoth_ja.zip)

I cover most everything in my main readme, but I will touch on just the Features part here, copied from my readme:

FEATURES:

The Fencer and Force User Reborns that were originally present in this for Jedi Outcast have been restored for the plain vanilla version of the conversion

Special binds have been set to play the conversion as Kyle like it's supposed to be,and there are binds to activate cheat commands:
A - helpusobi 1; B - god; D - undying; E - give all; G - setforceall 1138;
H - g_SaberAnimSpeed 3; I - g_SaberMoveSpeed 3; J - g_speed 500; and K - noclip

Config Scripts for unlimited Force powers and a zoom included

Opening logos video omitted to make mod load faster

Optional replacement of HapSlash's better models of the Imperial Officer and Stormtrooperto use with the regular vanilla conversion

Optional replacement enhancement - play the conversion with some interesting replacements!! Kyle gets a Hoth clothing outfit without the shoulderpad or belt and gets Trauma Sensei's excellent higher definiton saber hilt as well; the Imperial Officers become a reskinned AT-ST Pilot with cold weather armor on; the Imperial Workers become AT-AT Pilots; the Reborns
become Cold Assault Clones, making an appearance in New Republic times(!); the Shadowtroopers become Wampas; the Stormtroopers become non-com Snowtroopers; the Gonk has beeen reskinned to look more Imp like;
so has the R2 and R5 units.

I hope everyone enjoys this, because it took a lot of work and testing to make sure everything worked out okay. Enjoy! :)
 Kurgan
06-17-2009, 8:00 AM
Awesome! Can you post some screenshots to whet the appetites of those of us who don't have time to playtest it yet?

Thanks again.
 Forceboat
06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah, that's fine. I'll do my best to get some up. I had some but accidentally deleted them. :blush2: I didn't much like the ones I made, anyway; I want some better ones. I'll let you know when I have them up. :)
 Forceboat
06-17-2009, 6:53 PM
Okay, I made 28 screenshots and made a page for Photobucket, everyone can view them here:

http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/mattarga/)

Enjoy the screens!! :)
 Thx_tk421
09-04-2009, 4:31 PM
Okay, I made 28 screenshots and made a page for Photobucket, everyone can view them here:

http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/mattarga/)

Enjoy the screens!! :)

Forceboat,

I am flattered that you took the time to juice this thing up. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the screens look fantastic. You can probably tell I'm obsessed with detail and I had always wanted to see these halls running wild with snow troopers and wampas. The models simply didn't exist at the time. Not until later that year when Jedi Academy was released.

I'm glad that CrisG took the time to dust this thing off :)
 martintox
08-16-2010, 5:30 PM
Has anyone made something to fix the missing textures and cutscene problems?
EDIT:Nevermind,I found something to fix it:http://www.filefront.com/thankyou.php?f=4542636)
Page: 1 of 1