Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Linux Client?

Page: 1 of 1
 Shoko
09-28-2003, 8:57 PM
Is a linux client planned?
JA is based on the quake engine, so it shouldn't be a big problem.
 FurionStormrage
09-28-2003, 9:45 PM
Originally posted by Shoko
Is a linux client planned?
JA is based on the quake engine, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

I like Linux too but there are a few reasons why companies don't make Linux ports of their games:

1) A lot of people are cheap. They think that because Linux is free (or relatively free) that they shouldn't have to pay for anything that they run on Linux. This attitude is changing, albeit slowly.

2) Linux refers to the actual kernel. Linux + enhancements = Linux distribution, of which there are many. It's hard to support many different iterations of Linux when it's hard to make money selling it to said people.

3) JA is based on the Quake engine but it's not Quake. :D

4) Once Raven gets in the habit of making a Windows version and then a Linux version, what about those of us that want JA on Mac OS X? ;)
 Lord Sokar
09-29-2003, 12:41 AM
It'll never happen. Not enough money to be made.
 Emon
09-29-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by FurionStormrage
It's hard to support many different iterations of Linux

Not true. They're all the same really.
 Shoko
09-29-2003, 9:15 AM
Originally posted by Lord Sokar
It'll never happen. Not enough money to be made.

It happened with Quake3, it happened with Return to Castle Wolfenstein, it happened with Enemy Territory and with other Q3 Engine based games...
 FurionStormrage
09-29-2003, 1:57 PM
Originally posted by Emon
Not true. They're all the same really.

As someone who routinely downloads and installs Linux distributions to test programs for my job I can tell you that you are incorrect in this regard.

While true that most Linux distributions install similar, if not identical, programs, the configuration files are usually different, files are installed in different places, etc.

If you really want to see what I'm talking about, download and install Red Hat, Mandrake, Slackware, and Debian. Without reading details about what kernel is installed with what kernel patch, which version of X is installed, which glibc library is installed, set up a game such as Civilization: Call to Power. Then try to connect to a Windows host. ;)

It's support questions like this that Raven should not have to deal with when only 30 to 40 people are probably going to buy it. Now, if Raven decided to post a Linux client that worked with the JA disc that would be one way for this to work. I would suspect that there would be a ton of disclaimers on the download, though. :D
Page: 1 of 1