Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Importing .GLM files into Milkshape

Page: 1 of 1
 Valo
09-26-2003, 3:41 AM
ok, i imported the .glm files for kyle and luke into Milkshape and everything is fine, but i cant seem to import the .glm files for jedi_hm. everytime i do it MilkShape closes. am i doing something wrong, do i need the patch or something?

the version i have is MilkShape 1.6.6a
 Duncan_10158
09-27-2003, 10:04 PM
as much as i know now the jedi_hm.glm is the human male model witch contains all the heads, torsos and legs in three LODs for the human male. sounds simple, but that means its a very big model file. i am not sure but i think milkshake, sorry milkshape can handle only a limited count of polygons. it probably crashes because its a too complex model.

i know i couldnt help you much with that, but at least you got a reply.
 Valo
09-28-2003, 5:13 PM
thanks for the help. lol, now i also need a way to export .glm files. i cant seem to fine any plugins for MilkShape for exporting .glm files.
 CortoCG
09-28-2003, 5:30 PM
You canґt export glm directly, they are created through a compiling process to separate what info remains on the glm and what info goes to the gla.
 Valo
09-29-2003, 4:07 PM
and how would i do that with MilkShape?????????
 CortoCG
09-29-2003, 4:09 PM
Sadly, even if it is possible, it is not of my knowledge.
 Scoundrel
09-29-2003, 4:36 PM
Milkshape cant export models in to the glm files, but you can make them MD3, and then use MD3view to export them to glm.
 CortoCG
09-29-2003, 5:56 PM
Yes, that's for making weapon models, I don't think that player models can be created with that process.
 inferno001
10-07-2003, 2:24 PM
You can load the glm files in milkshape but for the models of jaden you need to set the LOD option to LOD 1. Works fine 4 me, hope this helps :)
 CortoCG
10-07-2003, 2:39 PM
Importing models is a one way ticket. I'm not talking about that. The main issue is exporting them to a format that can indirectly be put in the game, ie: .xsi file.
If someone already made a player model, following the
milkshape -> .md3, .md3 -> .glm with MD3View process, pls tell so.
But I seriously doubt it since player .glm models need to be linked to an animations .gla file, and the only way to get there is through carcass, and carcass only compiles .xsi files.
 Wa'es
10-08-2003, 2:16 PM
Where can I get the Carcass and/or Assimilate programs? I thought they were in the JK2Tools (version 1 or 2) but I can't locate it in either one.
Found it on version 1 of the JK2Tools. Sheesh!

I too am trying to use MilkShape. It seems to leave alot to be desired. Do you guys think I should switch to GMax? And don't say 3D Studio Max is the choice you prefer. I don't accept software piracy as a viable alternative to buying a license (I am a software engineer by trade) AND I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a 3D editing program AND I can't justify it to my boss as a valid business expense. :D
 CortoCG
10-08-2003, 2:29 PM
Gmax can be good to model stuff and then export them to md3, cuz it is much like 3dsmax, but it's a pain in the ass cuz the md3 exporter is not perfect.
You could model in gmax and finish it in Milkshape.
 Wa'es
10-08-2003, 3:00 PM
But that's not gonna work for character models, is it?
 monsoontide
10-08-2003, 4:49 PM
Would the same problem apply to using milkshape to make vehicle models and export them as md3 then using MD3view to export a .glm?

I only ask 'cos although my exported & converted model shows up fine as a GLM file, when I try to spawn it as a vehicle in the game (With appropriate .veh & .npc files) i get - Skin Name Exceeds MAX_QPATH !!:confused:

Any help would be really appreciated!
 CortoCG
10-08-2003, 5:01 PM
Originally posted by Wa'es
But that's not gonna work for character models, is it?

It won't work with player models.

Originally posted by monsoontide
Would the same problem apply to using milkshape to make vehicle models and export them as md3 then using MD3view to export a .glm?

I dont know about vehicles, ask Duncan_10158, he already added new vehicles to the game.
 monsoontide
10-08-2003, 5:05 PM
Thanks CortoCG

I'm already trying to work with Duncan_10158 on this, I was just trying to see if anyone else had a solution for this problem :)

Monsoontide
 CortoCG
10-08-2003, 5:12 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
I'm already trying to work with Duncan_10158 on this, I was just trying to see if anyone else had a solution for this problem

I'll check it out tonigh how the swoop bike was made. But the guy who added the ROTJ speeder bike and the STAP knows howto for sure =).
 monsoontide
10-08-2003, 5:41 PM
Do you know what that error means though?

Skin Name Exceeds MAX_QPATH

Or perhaps know a link to somewhere I might be able to find out?
(It's just frustrating the hell outta me as I'm sure I did everything just right! :mad: )

Thanks
Monsoontide :)
 =CNR=Preacher
10-10-2003, 5:32 AM
Max Qpath means that the name/directory structure has too many characters in it (believe more then 64 or so). Try to shorten the name of the skinfile so that the total of chars is less then 64. If that cannot be done, try a fake dir structure from a root (example, make: c:\jkt\gamedata\ with under it the dirs like base\models & tools with the mdviewer etc).... I am confident that it works :)

And looking at the above I wonder wheter the same sort of "rules"also apply to GMax, since I cannot save a (part of a ) model in GMAX format and reopen it. Every try of reopening a Gmax formatted model/part of model makes the program crash :( I allready reinstalled it, but untill now with no succes.... You have any bright Ideas Corto? :)
 CortoCG
10-10-2003, 5:52 AM
Yeah, some Microsoft hot****... err... hotfix, fooks things up big time with Gmax and corrupts the files (it happened the same to me). Don't panic, since there's an even hotterfix that fixes that problem.
I got an email from Discreet telling me about it, so my advice is to start searching on Discreet's website and then Microsoft's.
 =CNR=Preacher
10-10-2003, 7:28 AM
rgr thnx :)
 monsoontide
10-10-2003, 1:36 PM
Cool, that worked, so I nolonger get the error, but the model spawns into the game invisible and if you try to ride it, it crashes the game.

So that sucks.
 CortoCG
10-11-2003, 1:05 AM
It spawns invisible cuz no textures are being loaded for that particular model, you got yourselves a pretty nasty problem =).

Would you mind to send me the whole pack so I can test everything I know and get back to you?.
 monsoontide
10-11-2003, 2:57 AM
Hey CortoCG,

Duncan_10158 worked on it - took him about 90 mins to get it going.

Not sure what he did yet, but at least it's working now
(Though it's about 1/2 size it should be!)

He's going to send me a detailed report tomorrow. so I can find out what I need to do to get it to work!

However, if you are still interested in taking a look at the file yourself, I can still send you my original files and then the working ones for comparison.
 CortoCG
10-11-2003, 5:07 AM
I you worked it out don't send me anything. But if you're still having problems with it, drop me a mail.
 monsoontide
10-11-2003, 10:36 PM
No, looks like we've got it to work - Duncan sent me a bit list of things he had to do to get it to work, so if I can work out the changes, it should be fine.
Thankyou for your assistance though. Appreciate it!

:D
Page: 1 of 1