Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lateral Thinking

Page: 1 of 1
 Sanspoof
09-25-2003, 4:49 PM
This game is based on a similar game posted by Darth Eggplant a looong time ago. These are Lateral Thinking Puzzles - Puzzles that have clues in the question/statement that conclude to the answer, but can you spot them? Let's see...

Mister Dodson, billionare founder of the Penultimate Poem Plant, was found poisoned in his chair.

The only people in the house at the time were Mike Roberts, Steve Ritchell, Berry Stevens, Miss Stone and Keith Wolfgang. Clearly the poison had sapped him of his strength as he didn't alert anyone about his coming demise, but he did leave a cryptic note beside him. After some detective work, it was found that is was actually a clue to the poisoner's identity.

They was a young girl from Rugby
Who, by then, had a Uni degree.
She soon made her mark
On science, but hark,
This tale is just pure fantasye!
 Talya
09-25-2003, 8:19 PM
I don't have an answer...yet, but can we, for instance, ask if something we found in the riddle has anything to do with the answer?

I'd like to know If the fact that the girl came from Rugby, and Rugby being a game, has anything to do with it.

And are you positive there are no spelling errors in the riddle, because I don't want to start piecing fantasye in with it if you really did mean fantasy :jawa

-Sunday-
 Sanspoof
09-26-2003, 5:50 PM
Nope, everything in it is exactly correct, every single spelling!
 Talya
09-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Damn, that's a toughy...I was trying to make a word out of the letters taken out to respell, like yound, taking the 'g', and they, taking 're' Ack..I have no idea what to look for...

-sunday-
 Sanspoof
09-27-2003, 7:05 AM
If anyone wants me to reveal the answer...
 Talya
10-01-2003, 8:51 PM
You might as well. I was on the verge of forcing it out of you anyway :rolleyes:

xD Let's hear it. My bet's that when you tell me, I'll be all: "ohhhh...!" Blah...

Curse my sparatic idiocy.

-Sunday-
 Sanspoof
10-02-2003, 4:58 PM
Take the penultimate letter of every line. It spells out B-E-R-R-Y (Berry Stevens).

Here's another:

Reg Blatter was personally responsible for the death of Victor Timothy. Reg did not perform the killing in person and in fact had not seen Timothy for the last 3 years. Nevertheless, he managed to send the murder weapon safely through the post along with a greeting card.

Timothy died by using the weapon in manner as it was supposed to be used. The card ended up touching the murder weapon, but the greeting card never reached its intended destination. Timothy had no reason to kill himself.

How did Reg kill Timothy?
 GendoTheGreat
10-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Not a clue, but I can tell you how Gendo is going to kill Sanspoof if he doesn't start posting puzzles for people with IQ's below the billion mark.
 Sallim
10-03-2003, 2:44 PM
I dont understand beacuse of the language ;)
To much unknown words, hehe.
 Talya
10-06-2003, 1:22 AM
In response to the solution of the first puzzle.

Damn! Why didn't I see?!?!? *pulls hair out*

At least I was right in that there were clues with the odd spelling of the words...*falls over*

Curses!

-Sunday-
 Lemon Head
10-06-2003, 11:36 AM
i think timothy is a postman
 amadeus
10-08-2003, 6:29 PM
No idea. Tell us.

Here's one:

A lives on the top floor of a building. Every day she rides the elevator down to the ground floor to leave for work. Whe she comes back at night, she rides the elevator halfway up and walks the rest of the way on the stairs, unless it is raining or other people are riding with her.

Explain this strange behavior.
 Sanspoof
10-09-2003, 5:23 PM
The answer to the first one is:

Reg applied poison to the adhesive you have to lick on the envelope to seal it. He sent the envelope along with a greeting card and requested that the card be sent back in the envelope posted. Timothy licked the envelope... and died.

And the answer to amadeus's one:

She's a dwarf. She's small enough to reach the ground floor button, but she can only reach halfway up the rest of the buttons unless it's raining and she uses her umbrella or her taller friends are with her.
 amadeus
10-11-2003, 11:50 AM
wow....you're good at this game
 chrisbailey
06-28-2004, 9:18 PM
Well if I was dying after being poisoned I can assure you that leaving cryptic messages would be the least of my worries! I'd write down "IT WAS BERRY WHO POISONED ME!"
 Sanspoof
06-29-2004, 2:28 PM
YEAH WELL YOU'RE NOT MR DODSON!!
 James Isaac
06-29-2004, 3:44 PM
Originally posted by amadeus
No idea. Tell us.

Here's one:

A lives on the top floor of a building. Every day she rides the elevator down to the ground floor to leave for work. Whe she comes back at night, she rides the elevator halfway up and walks the rest of the way on the stairs, unless it is raining or other people are riding with her.

Explain this strange behavior.

I knew the answer to that too... that's a pretty common puzzle - i've read it atleast 5 times on various forums :)

And, Sanspoof's puzzles are waaaay too hard for me ;)
 JofaGuht
07-03-2004, 12:53 AM
A man walks down a every long road in Ireland. This road goes in a straight line. There are ten pubs along down this five-mile road. The man walks all the five miles of the road without walking by any of the ten pubs. How can this be?
Page: 1 of 1