Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

GF HL Mod

Page: 1 of 1
 James Isaac
09-20-2003, 9:06 AM
I have now learnt how to make some quite good maps for Half Life. So, if anypone could help me, we could miake a GF Half Life mod. I coukld do the maps. Someone else do the textures (cause i'm not very good), and someone else do the mod part.

Anyone want to help?
 Sallim
09-20-2003, 2:25 PM
Uha nice idea!
I cant do anything for you , sorry, but Iam very waiting for this gf mod =)
 Dawidos
09-20-2003, 3:43 PM
Yeah, great idea. I can't help you, but I wish you a luck. And as Sallim I am waiting for your project.

Greetings
 Westy
09-21-2003, 3:46 AM
Sounds interesting, what gameplay are you aiming for?

If you're really interested in getting the mod off the ground, you should plan everything down to the finest detail on paper first, before you start mapping, modeling, etc. If you need help with this, give me a shout :).
 Sallim
09-21-2003, 4:57 AM
My project now is Tierra 3d ;)
And iam workin on iot but it go slow steps, beacuse of many different things that happen.

But soon <ou will see again a little result =)
 James Isaac
09-21-2003, 5:50 AM
OK.

I was thinking of maybe action/adventure gameplay. You will be able to die. Maybe there will be fights with scythes and sprouters. And there will be some puzzle solving aswell.

BUT. Do you guys think i should do it from someonme else's POV. Like maybe, you could play the game as Domino - then it won't be boring for people who have already completed GF, and it will reveal new stuff?? What do you think?

I still need help with certain parts though.

And i am going to host all the news about this and stuff on my GF website once it is up - to bost its popularity.
 Grim_comician
09-22-2003, 9:33 AM
My project that hasn't set up yet is Half-life mod called Cruise-life. It makes you experience some unlikely things that often happens like in real world: Train ride, fire drill etc. No enemies, but maybe weapons to experiment with. Almost like "1986". I would help you if I had any mapping skills with Worldcraft.
 Sanspoof
09-23-2003, 4:33 PM
It would be better with newer characters, made in GF Calavera stylee. Also a big arsenal of Sproutella weapondry, like an exploding sprout bomb (Grenade) or a flower launcher (RPG).

What would be really cool would be a multiplayer GFHL, with different calaveras to play as and that.

I'm afraid I can't really do much to the project except maybe a storyline or textures or something (Which I'm not amazingly good at).
 Westy
09-23-2003, 10:41 PM
How about LSA Agents vs Hectors gangsters. With what Sanspoof said, loads of different guns. It could be basically the same as TFC, with different classes, etc.
 pleto4_ryan
09-24-2003, 9:42 PM
great idea. No help from here :(

I would sujest to make the story taking place from the time manny has left the 8th underworld. Probably Eva or another trying to "wipe" out all the rest "bad people" from el marrow and then travelling to the other cities to help there also... :D
 James Isaac
09-25-2003, 5:04 AM
Mmm hhhmmmm.

Yeah, I agree that there should be lots of weapons. I will add them in aswell. Just because they weren't shown in GF doesn't mean they didn't exist.

?Maybe I will work on multiplayer first, then story?

Oh yeah, and by the way, I am going to make this for Half Life 2 as it is so amazing.
 GendoTheGreat
09-25-2003, 5:28 AM
Now you're on the right track. Half-Life, awesome as it is, is old and busted.
 Sanspoof
09-25-2003, 4:36 PM
Being a lowly Brit, I haven't got HL2 yet! :eek: but it's basically the same interface as HL1, right?

But... what about the Snarks? Those cute little aliens that just adore human flesh? How can you turn them into a green, mean sproutin' machine?

Hopefully if this mod is created HL2 won't need an update to play multiplayer like the original! Ugh.

Hey, here's an idea: In every player model, hide a flower model that appears to sprout out of their chest/head/arm/leg/other. That'll be cool!
 Westy
09-25-2003, 4:47 PM
The biggest hurdle i cant see in this mod is LucusArts its self. As soon as they hear about it, they'll probably close it down.

Other than that, you can count me in. I could model some characters and weapons.

I dont remember having to update HL to play multiplayer.
 James Isaac
09-25-2003, 5:12 PM
Hey, that's great if you can do the modelling, becuase I can't ;)

And HL2 isn't out anywhere yet. It was just delayed to Novemer 2003.

And I remember a HL mod based on Monkey Island. It was called Plunder 3D. But it seems to have disappeared :(

But, I can't use the Software Development Kit for HL2 yet, beucaes it isn't released. But I will try to think mroe about a story.
 Westy
09-27-2003, 1:40 PM
Heres a render of a lamp from my current project, just to show i cant do all this 3d stuff ;)

http://jwest.mxsystems.net/misc/lamp.jpg)

Also heres a render of a standard Sproutella. Its far from finished, only about an hours work.

http://jwest.mxsystems.net/misc/sproutella.jpg)
 James Isaac
09-28-2003, 5:38 AM
That's a great Sproatella gun. It's looking good.

And remember, you can see most of the models in Grim Fandango with ScummRev and the model viewer. But they aren't that great anyway.
 Sanspoof
09-28-2003, 6:23 PM
How about fighting arenas like The streets of El Marrow or The Petrified Forest ? You could have Demon models to replace the HL aliens too :D
 James Isaac
09-29-2003, 5:04 AM
Yeah. For the singleplayer it can be a story that takes you through loads of places. And multiplayer can be in some of the places you went through, but with all the exits bordered off.
 Mantrid
09-30-2003, 3:37 AM
http://mods.moddb.com/?mf=t&mf_gme=1)

Its a huge mod directory. Post there and you will probably get quite a few responses.

Also, WHAT THE!?!? No GF smilies!?!!?
 Grim_comician
09-30-2003, 8:40 AM
If you want mods for half-life and a few known mods, visit Espacemod (http://www.planethalflife.com/espacemod) or even more? Go check Hangar 16 (http://www.hangar16.com):hector):
 James Isaac
10-01-2003, 3:13 PM
Originally posted by Mantrid
http://mods.moddb.com/?mf=t&mf_gme=1)

Its a huge mod directory. Post there and you will probably get quite a few responses.

Also, WHAT THE!?!? No GF smilies!?!!?

OK. i'll post there once we have done more, and have more to show.

:manny: :meche:

And Westy, check you Private Messages ;)
 amadeus
10-06-2003, 8:17 PM
I don't think LucasArts would care if you weren't selling it. I'm not sure if they could do anything about it anyway, not that we'd want to get the GFN on LucasArts' bad side...But really I don't think they'd care.

Aside from that, in Multiplayer mode, you should have many character's available like Chowchilla Charlie, Hector, and possibly the Johnny Thunder boys...:) You should use ScummRev and get the sounds too. This will be awesome if you guys do it.
 Sanspoof
10-08-2003, 5:50 PM
Yeah that'd be cool. You could probably make some custom sounds for like LSA agents (Army Gear) and Hector's Mob (Expensive Suits).

Who'll be the voice actors though?
 mangoman
10-27-2003, 9:10 AM
well...
I guess i can do some voice acting if you want..
I really hope this project will be finished,
i mean, everbody who own HL has sometimes thought about making their own mod but very few mods are really made!
 mangoman
10-27-2003, 9:13 AM
well...
i mean, everbody who own HL has sometimes thought about making their own mod but very few mods are really made!

:manny://MangoMan
 mangoman
well...

mangoman
well...

mangoman
well...

mangoman
well...

James Isaac
10-27-2003, 1:32 PM
OK. Cool (but no need for the 5 replies ;) )

But now I am a bit worried after hearing about otehr people who have tried to make stuff that infringes LucasArts copyrights. Apparently they find out very quickly and send you a cease and decist letter. So I don't know how easy it will be to do this project. If we even get through the development, we will probably get shut down as soon a Lucas hear about it.
 Sanspoof
10-28-2003, 4:38 PM
I doubt that LucasArts will shut the project down. It's not like we're going to sell the bloody thing is it?

I could do some very shoddy voice acting but I seriously doubt it would sound right (Youthie touch).
 James Isaac
10-28-2003, 5:05 PM
I know we won't be selling it, but lucasArts are really stroppy about people making fan games and stuff. Even if they are non profit. This guy got sent a letter because he was making a Star Wars mod. They are just mean.

But, I'll still try it anyway. And voices would be good.

I made a sub forum in my forums to talk about the GF HL mod. You can find it here (http://members.lycos.co.uk/yyyjday/forum)(at) the bottom of the forum list).
 mangoman
10-29-2003, 7:52 AM
sorry for the 6 replies, the computer was slow...

But i dont think lucasarts can shut the project down..
I mean we arent gonna send emails about the mod and stuff like that, so if they never gets to know about it, they cant shut it dwon

sorry for the crappy english,
 James Isaac
10-29-2003, 8:44 AM
But still, if we want to make it known (so people download it) then there is a chance the LucasArts find out. But I don't know.

Lets just all talk about it in here (http://members.lycos.co.uk/yyyjday/forum/viewforum.php?f=16)

(Btw, your english is great);)
 mangoman
10-29-2003, 8:55 AM
yeah,
But skip that lets tallk about the game:

Нt should be fun to have levels on famous places in the game,

Petrified Forest-

Rubacava-(Hard to make!)

Edge of the world-(Imagine shooting on people from that conveyour belt.

El Marrow-( with some pan de muertos to beat up other palyers with

The weapons should also be from the game..

Sproutella gun-(of course

Scythe

Hand to hand combat weapon should be Pan de muertos

Is the mod a game like counter strike (you know, shoot people) or is it going to be a different kind of game
 James Isaac
10-29-2003, 12:50 PM
The game is going to be where you shoot people. And I might make it so you don't actually play Manny. You play the game as someone else, like maybe Domino, and then we can have more shooting, a new interesting story, and inclusion of more weapons that weren't seen.

Yeah, possible weapon array in HL format:

1: Scythe, Bone
2: Sproutella pistol
3: Sproutella Machine Gun
4: Sproutella RPG
5: Sproutella Grenade, Sproutella Detonateable Bomb

What do you think of that?
 ZaXeriaw
10-29-2003, 1:09 PM
This sounds like a very good project. I'm sorry I can't help you, 'cause I can't even create 3D or create mods for HL, but I'll be glad to be one of the testers :P
And maybe I can help you to get a permission from LEC. Maybe...
 James Isaac
10-29-2003, 3:49 PM
I know. I'll pretend i am someone else, and ask if they would mind if I made a Grim Fandango Quake mod. If they say yes, then I will say something like "oops, i meant Half Life, or pretend to be another person". If they say no, I'll do it anyway ;)
 Sanspoof
10-31-2003, 5:47 PM
Demons! Gotta have big-as-hell demons! I can do demon voicing! :D
 HT_Threepwood
11-01-2003, 9:35 AM
I might be able to help you too, i'm a beginning modeller and this is the first thing i ever made:
http://evil595.bravehost.com/model1.jpg)
It has absolutly nothing to do with GF :) It's not skinned (cus i don't know how to do that) But I would like to help you with the modelling :)
 James Isaac
11-01-2003, 12:25 PM
OK.

Btw, the picture link didn't work.
 HT_Threepwood
11-01-2003, 12:47 PM
If you add/delete www it will (if you click the link and you get http://evil595.bravehost.com/model1.jpg) you should add www. but if you click it and get http://www.evil595.bravehost.com/model1.jpg) you should delete www dunno why
 James Isaac
11-01-2003, 5:09 PM
OK. Wierd. But I like the sword thing. It is great
 ExcelsioN
11-03-2003, 6:18 AM
There's a BF1942 mod called "Galactic Conquest" (its Star Wars) which is up and running fine and downloadable, so either LEC hasn't heard of it or they just don't care. So forget about LEC shutting it down.

I could help you somewhere, I've done editing/skinning for the Jedi Knight series and Neverwinter Nights (rpg); so I'm sure HL won't be too much of a prob.
 HomelessTarget
11-04-2003, 2:20 PM
Hmm...hi.
Is this project going anywhere.

I might be able to help you with this.
I've got lots of experience of HL modding, mapping and stuff. ;)
I'll probally be able to help with everything.

Send me an e-mail if this projetc is going anywhere. :)
 James Isaac
11-04-2003, 3:58 PM
I PMed you because I couldn;'t access your e-mail adress on these forums becasue you disallowed it.
Page: 1 of 1