Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Pros or Cons?

Page: 1 of 1
 SlapNut
09-20-2003, 4:55 AM
for everyone who has the game (dam u!) are there more pros to the game or cons? since ive heared that there are alot of problems, and also seen some good extras some people are ignoring, so are there more pros or cons? and what are they?
 Kurgan
09-20-2003, 9:52 AM
Pro: SP has lots of variety, lots of Star Wars name-dropping and locations and characters. You'll never get bored. They gave Kyle the treatement he deserved, he's powerful and wise, but still has a firebrand spirit in him.

Con: The story is kind of generic and not that in depth (so far as I've seen). There isn't a whole lot of individual character development since you pretty much do whatever you want.

Pro: MP is lots of fun, and has lots of variety. The new Siege Mode is awesome (if you can find a game), and the new saber styles and weapons seem fairly well balanced. Vehicles, classes, new taunts, voice commands...

Con: Most of the cool new features are in Siege only (like inventory items, classes, most vehicles, etc).

Good luck finding a server for awhile. Most of the games are lagged, full, or using stupid warez software that isn't compatible with the legally purchased game. Wait about two weeks until everybody has beaten the SP game though and you'll see more and better servers. Siege Mode lacks true bot support (you can spawn them in, but they're jumpy and don't complete objectives) so you'll have to get all your experience in the field (and it may be hard to find a game of it now).

Also, the maps (other than Siege and Duel) are pretty bland and generic. There's references to Single Player, but JK2 and MotS both had a lot more "Star Wars location" maps that had more fun stuff in them. Here you get generic factories and temples.

Pro: Graphics are improved over JK2, and look great. They also run better on more systems than a super new engine might.

Con: The graphics aren't good enough for some people, and they say they look dated. I don't mind, but some people will.

Pro: Many JK2 mods already work in the game without any tweaking!

Con: Only one or two basic mods made specifically for JA. But wait a few months and there will be some neat mods when all the tools are out. Hopefully we'll see some fantastic Siege mods.

Pro: It's just like JK2, only different.

Con: It's just like JK2, only different.

Okay, that last one was a joke, but embrace the paradox of it all...

Okay, I'm heading for bed now. ; )
 SlapNut
09-20-2003, 1:27 PM
thanks mate
 Prime
09-20-2003, 1:34 PM
Nice review Kurgan. I'm disappointed that I can't try Seige with bots to at least get a feel for what it is like. Finding a server in just about any mode at this point is a no go.
 Agen
09-20-2003, 1:51 PM
Pros: Lots of good options in duel, will be hard to ever get bored
I haven't met any *******s yet,
JK2 gives you an edge
Alot of skins and mods already work in JA
Much, much better MP maps
SP is great fun
More of a star warsy feel (if oyu think that's good)

Cons:
Warez servers
Roll stab is too easy to do and does too much damage for 25
One of the maps i palyed killed everyone's computers
Not that many servers going around yet

That's about it for me :p
 SlapNut
09-20-2003, 1:51 PM
yeah whats this seige thing anyway? is it like a team online mission type game?
 Darth_Misery
09-20-2003, 2:59 PM
Pro: Single Player is, in my opinion, the best Jedi Knight to date. Lots of variety in the missions, great Star Wars locales (Hoth and Corellia are simply incredible), fun vehicles (the speeder bike level is an absolute blast!) and just plain "more-to-do" than Outcast.

Pro: The SP engine is very fine-tuned and the best-looking Q3 engine game to date.

Pro: MP is fun and the 3 saber types seem to be balanced. I personally like the fact that the single blade can stand up to the other 2. I've tried all 3 saber types in MP and they all have an equal amount of pros and cons. I was worried that the single blade would be obsolete in MP but it's simply not the case. It does, however, take more patience and better positioning to use successfully in a fight with staff and dual saber users.

Pro: No more kicks! This is being hotly debated but I think it's for the better. More emphasis on saber fighting, for me, is a huge plus. The staff kick moves are fine and they really require some precision timing to execute. They also are a bit risky. Good call on that one Raven.

Pro: the new moves are great with special emphasis on the knockdown moves. Being able to roll or kick up and out of a knockdown is a big plus. I also like the new special moves and the way they are handled. I was worried that the Katas would be ridiculous but they come at a serious risk (you're almost totally immobile while performing them).

Con: Lightning is a bit overpowered in my opinion (and I use lightning!). Level 3 Drain also seems to be a bit over-the-top. A bit more fine-tuning of the MP Force powers is needed (I think).

Con: hit detection in MP needs some fine-tuning. Same issues carried over from 1.04 Outcast. A bit more precision is needed.

Pro: great new FFA and Duel maps. Nice to see that Threewave designed them (they're incredible mappers).

Con: not enough FFA maps out-of-the-box.

Con: the MP engine neads some optimization. I have a pretty robust system (P4 2.2 Ghz, GeForce 3 Ti500, 1GB RAM) which exceeds the system requirements by leaps and bounds and I'm a bit disappointed that the framerates are coming in as low as they are even after turning some of the visual goodies off (dynamic lighting, complex shadows, dynamic glow, etc). Maybe I'm being too picky but I've come to expect high framerates out of the Q3 engine on my rig. Outcast ran a lot faster with everything turned on.

Overall, I like the game a lot. The single player component is top-notch and the multiplayer (at least the Duel and FFA types) isn't bad either. However, the MP does need a little more tweaking in my opinion.

See you online.....
 Darth_Misery
09-20-2003, 2:59 PM
It double-posted....doh!
 Kusanavi
09-20-2003, 3:33 PM
Pros:Looks better than JK2
Dualies and Staff own :D
Siege is fantastic if you can find any server
Not as buggy as people say(IMO)

Cons:Like 12 servers out there and 7 of them are warez and 3 of
them are locked( password)
Few mods and stuff for now but hopefully in the next months there will be much more
the bugs are kind of annoying but they will hopefully be fixed with Raven's next patch...
 Prime
09-20-2003, 4:46 PM
Luckily the lack of servers issue should recify itself before too long.
 Keiko_Tsumi
09-20-2003, 5:41 PM
First of i think the game is great, looks great, plays great etc etc. But there are quit a lot of bugs in the game that are verry irritating for instance sometimes there are 2 models of the same character in a level like 2 kyles. And there r some other things but apart from that the game rocks big time.

One warning for future buyers:

If youre hoping to get a game where the way you play decides what side you are light or Dark then this is not your game. It just one thing that makes you light or dark and the game will give you a warning when that moment is.
 Igor_Cavkov
09-20-2003, 5:48 PM
there are easily more Pro then cons !!! the game rocks! fair story and so on cool stuff inviroments and famous sw places to be at!
 Kurgan
09-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Okay, maybe I gave the wrong impression but you CAN spawn bots into Siege to try it.

The bots aren't programmed to play Siege yet though, so they just jump around and fight you, but don't try to complete the objectives.

Use the \addbot <botname> <skill 1-5> <team color> command to spawn them in.

When I spawned in my fifth bot, the game crashed, so watch out for that.

Also, make sure you only spawn in bots that have skins used on that map by the classes (example: on Hoth Siege, use Snowtrooper, Stormtrooper/Officer, Reborn, etc for Imperials, Rebel and I forget what else just look in the classes menu for Rebels).

On Tatooine Rescue use Rodian or Trandoshan, etc for the Mercs (Imperial team icon) and Lando, Chewie, etc for the Rebels.

For the Korriban Siege, it's a little more complicated since you have different Jedi, but the Imperial team is mostly Reborn variants so that should work.

All you really need to test is one bot on the other team, and you can test the map.
Page: 1 of 1