Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Linux ded - kick instakills?

Page: 1 of 1
 kymosabe
09-17-2003, 2:08 PM
Hi folks,

Bit of an odd server problem here. I've set up a linux dedicated server and almost everything is fine, but my players are reporting that the saber staff kick and force lightning are pretty much instakilling people. Lightning doesn't seem to do it all the time, but the kick is pretty reliable, and I've been on the receiving end of both. It doesn't seem to happen when I run a windows server though.

Has anyone else seen anything like this happening? I can't seem to find any cvars that might be doing it, and being taken out in a split second by a kick is getting pretty dull.

Any suggestions welcome.
 Shaggy1984
09-17-2003, 2:13 PM
Ahh yes, I experienced that on one of the servers I played on. I thought it was rather odd. Lighthning, and kick doing massive amounts of damage.
 Kurgan
09-17-2003, 2:29 PM
Check your server settings.

It could simply be that you're not used to the damage settings in MP however...
 Ashke
09-17-2003, 4:14 PM
I've noticed this as well. It was not like this in the beta. It only kills most of the time though, but it occurs with the Saber-Staff kick, and the get-up kick. There is no setting I can see to stop this.

At first I thought it had something to do with locational damage, but turning that off doesnt fix the issue.

Also, why were double tap kicks removed?
 Kurgan
09-17-2003, 4:59 PM
Did you say beta?

What did I say about the leaked beta being discussed here??

Also, why were double tap kicks removed?

No offense, but it's been known that the double tap kicks ARE STILL IN THE GAME.. and this for a long time.

Don't judge the full version based on the faulty and outdated information from the illegal beta.
 Ashke
09-17-2003, 6:36 PM
Uh I was in the beta, and I now own the retail game which is what we are discussing. Calm down before you blow a gasket. Also double-tap kicks are NOT turned on by default. From what I've read you have to turn on debugmelee.

Also, the point of this topic is single hit kills with saber-staff kicks, which is a RETAIL problem.
 kymosabe
09-18-2003, 4:35 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Check your server settings.

It could simply be that you're not used to the damage settings in MP however...

I haven't played the single player game, or any other version, so MP is all I've got to work with. Even so, being killed outright from a single kick doesn't sound right.

Here's the modified settings I'm using on the server though.

// Server Config
seta sv_hostname "iiNet Jedi Academy"

//rconpassword ""

set g_forceBasedTeams 1

# Allow private duels in FFA games
set g_privateDuel 1

# Allow saber locking in duels.
set g_saberLocking 1

# Dismember probability 0 - 100
# Requires client side cg_dismember to be set.
set g_dismember 10

set g_duelWeaponDisable 65531

# Default is 200, players are complaining about it being slow though.
set g_forceRegenTime "150"

seta sv_maxclients 16
set timelimit 20

Everything below that is just the bog standard map rotation that came with the default server.cfg. If anything looks odd here please let me know, but I can't see anything that could be causing this. Server bug perhaps? Any other linux admins out there?

I'll try dropping back to an entirely default config and getting the players to do some testing tonight. I've seen a few more complaints about the lightning damage today already though. It's making my players unhappy enough that I'll probably have to turn force lightning off.
Page: 1 of 1