Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Official Demo Review Thread....

Page: 1 of 1
 EndSub
09-28-2001, 9:47 PM
while all you peoples who are on broad band are playing the demo right now, give a thought to us poor guys on dial-ups and give us some info on the demo! :)
 Sherack Nhar
09-28-2001, 10:59 PM
Single player wise, it's not worth it. There's only one mission, and it's a commando mission (no base building). The only thing cool with that mission is that we get to control Vader, but his lines get annoying after a while (tired of "For your own safety, I hope this is important"). Oh, he's superstrong alright.

Multiplayer wise, I haven't played yet (damn Cillo!!!).

The graphics are very good, but like the AoK demo, it won't let you choose 1280x1024. The artwork is fine, except the unit icons. The fireworks are especially impressive.

There is no music in the game, except when you finish a mission. The sounds, on the other hand, are absolutely fantastic. It's always been one of LEC's strong points, and it shows. Pure Skywalker Sound stuff. And NICE TAUNTS!!!

I'll get back to ya all when I try multiplay.
 Paladin
09-28-2001, 11:02 PM
Thanx 4 your time and devotion 2 the site. U r the first one who told us about the demo.
 EndSub
09-28-2001, 11:03 PM
is skirmish included?
 Palpatine
09-28-2001, 11:04 PM
At least we who are still desperately downloading the demo will get a small taste of what the future will be like when we finish the download (like...next millenium...)
 generalViper
09-28-2001, 11:07 PM
this demo is not what I thought it would be.....I think they should of made it a little better plus they should have added music in the game
 Bifficvs
09-28-2001, 11:24 PM
So.....who all is actually gonna own the game here, before the demo is done downloading?
 PaladinsSceptre
09-28-2001, 11:32 PM
wow im d/l at 70k a sec from file planet, sweet, ill be playing in no time =)
 EndSub
09-29-2001, 12:05 AM
danm this thread has got a hundred plus views in just over an hour.......thats got to be a board record :D
 matt--
09-29-2001, 12:05 AM
It's not fantastic. That's all I can say. Everyone that has it log in to the zone. They have about 23 people in the trials room. We'll get a game goin.
 AoErat
09-29-2001, 12:07 AM
I loved it. The single player was too short, but multiplayer is really fun.
 Sherack Nhar
09-29-2001, 12:09 AM
Look at my Demo Tomorrow and The Demo is out!! threads. The oldest one of the two is barely 24 hours old and I've got 1000+ views on it :D

I began playing multiplayer, but we had to stop early (still damn Cillo!!). We didn't even get to tech level 2.

I've already got a complaint, though. The sounds aren't as good as I first they they were. They are getting annoying after a while, and they're way too loud. Then, there's the placement of icons. It's really confusing - why didn't they align the four production centers into one clean row?? Of course, this is all subject to change.
 EndSub
09-29-2001, 12:09 AM
does it have skirmish????? :confused:
 PaladinsSceptre
09-29-2001, 12:11 AM
I expected more out of the graphics, the ai path finding is kinda weak, either that or they just kept trying to get into formation everytime they moved, sounds were good, i didnt like some of the voices, they should have just took the quotes from the movies, i hope the mplayer is better
 generalViper
09-29-2001, 12:11 AM
THE AT-ST'S SUCK IN THE DEMO
 matt--
09-29-2001, 12:16 AM
They do suck. I hope it isn't a repeat of force commander.
 darthfergie
09-29-2001, 12:18 AM
IT IS A DEMO FOR CRING OUT LOUD!!!
THEY DON'T GIVE YOU EVERYTHING FREE!!!

You are expecting everything out of a single demo.
 Dagobahn Eagle
09-29-2001, 12:20 AM
(tired of "For your own safety, I hope this is important"). Oh, he's superstrong alright.

Oh, NOOOOOO! That was one of the things I hated about FoCom! In AoK, nobody said anything understandable, but that was just as cool. Just some phases like "Yes", "Gathera", stuff like that. In FoCom, it's all like so annoying. In Ground control, something in between. All they said was stuff like "my hoverdynes are moving" and such (and those guys in the order were cool, with their "Yes, deacon", and "At once, deacon". At first I didn't get what they said and I just thought it sounded cool :). I thought they said something like "Deakka" instead of Deacon :rolleyes). I can't belive LEC is making the same mistake again. The rest of the phrases had better be good.

:atat: -My legs are itching
:bdroid1: -Damn, general protection fault!
:amidala: -Waitaminute, I can't find my make-up :rolleyes:.
:evanpiel: -My ears are too big, I'll have to cut'em off first.
:vsd: -Don't tell me we've got one of those freighters on the back of our bridge again :mad:. :)

Dagobahn Eagle
 Bifficvs
09-29-2001, 12:25 AM
We can't even install downloaded stuff in the labs here.
 darthfergie
09-29-2001, 12:26 AM
I am very close to giving up and waiting for the demo CD...

Gamespot is still massively slow:mad:
And nobody else carries it...well besides fileplanet and that costs money:rolleyes:
It isn't even on Gamespot's UK site:rolleyes:
 Tie Guy
09-29-2001, 12:32 AM
try the ftp.lucasarts.com site, they have to have it on there, and i bet no one is getting it from there.

EDIT: Nevermind, they don't have it, i guess they chose to do it through gamespot again, and not put it on their own server.
 VashtheStampede
09-29-2001, 12:33 AM
yeah I feel your pain, I've got cable so I think I may just wait until some other site picks it up or not so many people are downloading....which ever comes first. OR just wait and by the game, it might be quicker.......
 DarkTrooper
09-29-2001, 12:35 AM
the demo rox u r the empire and Vader is slaying everyone
 EndSub
09-29-2001, 12:36 AM
I'm getting a pretty good speed for dial-up.....3-4k........
 jigga
09-29-2001, 12:57 AM
The multip is not bad I played a game where we all went up to level three then fought just to see all the units.

I thought the game would have looked better, I usually play on high resolution.

I hate the fire effects of the buildings they look so fake.

You get sith and jedi in the game and bounty hunters no large mechs.

Its a bit confusing remembering which resource is which.

Death animations are not as good as AOK. AOK seemed smoother

When I first played it I was disappointed after I played the muilti it got much better.

Its funny to see in the main menu screen how similar it is to AOK
 darthfergie
09-29-2001, 1:05 AM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
try the ftp.lucasarts.com site, they have to have it on there, and i bet no one is getting it from there.

EDIT: Nevermind, they don't have it, i guess they chose to do it through gamespot again, and not put it on their own server.

Yeah I was kind of dissapointed to see that:(
 GdB
09-29-2001, 1:08 AM
Hey, I'm a big SW fan but don't play much strategy and thought I try it out with this demo. but there is no friggin tutorial or players manual! I've played a little, but not enough to be able to tell which usits I collect resources with or which build things. I thi k this is kinda stupid on Lucasarts part. How are they going to pull in any newbie audiences like myself if you don't know how to play the friggin demo! Anyone know where I can get some info on how to play this game? Also, I have to say that Paying 7$ a month for a personal server from fileplanet is totally worth it. I dpwnloaded this thing a couuple mintues after it premeired (same with Wolfenstein) Thx!

GdB
 matt--
09-29-2001, 2:08 AM
Back to JK2 and Galaxies.
 Paladin
09-29-2001, 2:10 AM
Hold-up. Its only a demo!!!!!!!
 luc skai wokeur
09-29-2001, 2:15 AM
I have to admit that i'm a bit disapointed with the demo, well like with most of lucasarts games.

Graphics and animations are really not that good, sounds can be counted in a single hand fingers ...
You get instantly bored maybe a multiplayer game would be different but ...

Well i'm REALLY dispointed :bdroid1:
 Paladin
09-29-2001, 2:18 AM
why would it be so bad? looked good
 PaladinsSceptre
09-29-2001, 2:40 AM
mp is ok, but it limits your tech to 3 and your units to 75 for the demo, hell half of that can be your droids colleting and building. Units die easy and buildings and defenses dont. The good units take time to build so that kinda sucks. The ai is really stupid, wheter it is men or the enemies, they dont think fast enough and do the stupidest things.

If the d/ls are that bad i can put it on my ftp server and someone can d/l it from me while you wait. I d/l it from file planet at 70k a sec, but i pay 6 bucks a month so i dont have to wait in line, so that might have made a big difference too.
 Arathorn_7
09-29-2001, 2:45 AM
I'm downloading at 70 K/sec from a public server on fileplanet. The two LA servers had about 600 people in line, so I went to the Italy one!

Has anyone tried hosting a MP and just adding the computer player for a pseudo- single player game?
 PaladinsSceptre
09-29-2001, 2:48 AM
ya you cannot add a cpu in any form as far as i can tell, only human vs human
 Stormtrooper
09-29-2001, 3:09 AM
well, the demo looked really nice to me...but its very limited in single player but thats why its a demo....anyway for those of u that were asking about hitpoints for units here's a few...vader has 600 hp,hvy mech destroyer 175hp, infantry 35hp,mounted trooper,135hp.......the structures and buidings are pretty tuff, they vary from 250hp to 2500hp far as i've seen so far..

i thought the active wildlife was pretty cool, the terrain was impressive(better looking than AOK IMHO). I have 2 cpus hooked up side by side and i'm going to test out the multiplayer. you can choose either rebels or the empire...also i noticed if you put an infantry unit inside the mech destroyer it will give you extended range by 1 which i thought was pretty cool.:D

As soon as i test out multiplayer stability i will try to feed you all in on some more info for those of you still downloading..i'm just glad they gave us a demo to play...Thankyou lucasarts team.:)
 Arathorn_7
09-29-2001, 3:36 AM
I just finished the campaign. What the heck are you people talking about when they say this sucks?? IMO the campaign was put in just to show off some of the units, animations, sounds, terrain, etc. It allows you to get used to the interface also. You get a chance to view the tech tree for empire and rebel.I don't think it sucks at all! It is a demo and we could just go back to looking at screen prints that come out once every 2 weeks. Would that make you happy?
Gonna go try the multiplayer, I think it will be awesome.
 Arathorn_7
09-29-2001, 4:29 AM
The people posting negative comments out here have their hopes WAY too high for a demo. This is excellent. I just finished my first multiplayer game. The animation is cool, artwork is AWESOME, gameplay is very AOK like. I love the flying units. Sounds are cool (the rebel scout is a woman ;) ) I'm not real sure what I'm doing strategy wise yet, but I kept pumping out droids, building resource gathering buildings, etc. Then I started building an army, mech factory, airbase, jedi temple, etc. Then I started putting up defenses, power cores, shields, towers, etc.

While it feels similar to AOK I already notice some differences. I've mentioned a few above, but here is a list off the top of my head.

1. some shortcut keys are different. This was obvious immediately when I went to hit B + E to build a house and built a farm instead..doh! Some are the same (e.g. home base is "H") Some are different (e.g. Create villie key is "A" instead of "C"
2. animal nursery - AOK didn't have this and you just killed the sheep, turkey, etc. In SWGB you can "garrison" animals in an animal nursery and it will create a constant flow of food (that's what the help text said.) OR you can just "kill" them like in AOK.
3. defensive buildings - AOK let's you build economic buildings or military buildings. SWGB has a third category - defensive structures. These include walls, gates, towers, and shield generator.
4. scout speed - these things fly, they seem rather easy to kill though
5. medics - medics can be created from the command center (i.e. town center) and repair units. The game I played started in Tech Level 3 so I'm not entirely sure when these show up.
6. flying units - these kick butt, 'nuff said.
7. power cores - I think you all know about these
8. shields - cool. Once you get them built any unit in the range of the shield starts building a second bar over their head that shows their shield hps.

If the artwork is this awesome for rebel and empire I can't WAIT to see the rest!!

I just think this game is still going to kick butt. However, for everyone who thinks I sound overly optimistic, I have only played once and the game was short. Notice I've said nothing about game balance and such. There is still ALOT left to be seen, but I am optimistic.
 jigga
09-29-2001, 4:39 AM
I just finished another multi game, and noticed a few more

things, units die much to fast, I shot down a tie fighter and all it did was pop(for lack of a better word), no explosion, no parts all over the place just a spark and then thats it, gone.

Also battles are short no sence of a shoot out, units hitpoints are too low or blaster fire to high which ever way you prefer. They should lower blaster fire damage so fights last a bit longer.
 DarkTrooper
09-29-2001, 4:45 AM
i havent started in level 3 yet but i will try it out
 jigga
10-01-2001, 3:12 AM
I played a game online where all we did was build up to level 3 to see all the units and up grades.

I was surprised to see that upgrades really effect units they actually are harder to kill.

I also built a seaport to see the boats, I only saw the emps stuff though. They dont look that bad. I had nothing to shoot at so I could not see how they fire at enemys.

One thing I was glad to see was they made ground units and anti air units. That way you had to mix and match your army.

They also have a large amount of ground troops but it seems that the air units are few or just not in the demo.
They should make air combat just as diverse as the ground combat, with long range bombers and planes that only shoot other planes but have more damage, things like that.
Page: 1 of 1