Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grim Fandango MMORPG

Page: 1 of 1
 Mantrid
08-31-2003, 7:04 PM
Idea: How about Lucas Arts starts working on a GF MMORPG. For those of you who don't know, MMORPG stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

You could customize your character, maybe determine how you lived your life (or it would be random) and find out what you qulify for (it would probably be best for most people to have to walk, or the game would be boring. Now, you don't have to journey to the 9th Underworld. And its not like there isn't enough to explore, you've got El Marrow, The Petrified Forest (think a community of social Hermits, god I love Monty Python), Rubacava, and the game did seem to mention other continents (Puerto Zappato, and I don't care if I can't spell).

Opinions? Flames? Additions? But just think how cool it would be if you stay long enough and have your OWN cat-track.
 Grim_comician
09-01-2003, 8:52 AM
Hey, good idea! I see forward to have some experience in the land of the dead as a dead!
Maybe joining one of the organisations scattered out in the land of the dead would increase some statistics in the game. Maybe does some organisations have some requirements before joining.

You can buy this advice by me.;)

I see forward to become beta tester, so exciting.:) :)
 GendoTheGreat
09-01-2003, 10:48 AM
EDIT: Don't mind me, I misread the first part of the original post and went off on a tangent. If anyone needs me I'll be smacking my palm against my forehead and saying "D'oh".
 pleto4_ryan
09-01-2003, 11:11 AM
wonderful idea, and can become a best game, better that Ultima, everquest, etc ;)

Let's see...

In what condition you will be in the game could be made from some phycological tests :)

Also imagine being able to work your time, or just try to earn money to walk to the other city in the map, trying to find jombs, or just setling down and doing whatever. Getting in the cat racers as rider, or a reporter, or a security, or finding place as the pilot at the huge zepelins. Also some can work at the dod, and maybe there can be a "same" plot as in Grim Fandango and have an LSA (or whatever the name can be) Of course, the game can be placed from before manny comes until after he leaves, thus if someone goes to the DOD can see him, or even if the player is firstly taken to manny's office...

Ouuuu....so many good ideas...so good game....but of course it will never happen :( Lucasarts shall never do such a risk think. Even empire divided was made due to the myth of star wars...and it was hard for them to decide it...

am i raving? :D
 Dawidos
09-01-2003, 2:28 PM
I say very , very good idea , but it will never happen. This description is my imagination about Grim Fandango MMORPG

In this game we live in the Land of the Dead and work as driver,sailor,barman , salesman etc. Some of us work as travel agent in Department of Dead and sell travel packets to another players. Of course , we travel from El Marrow , across Petrified Forest to Rubacava. We live ,but we are dead. Hmmm , dreams. Maybe we should write petition to Lucasarts ;) ?
 Grim_comician
09-02-2003, 1:16 PM
There's something you posted, Dawidos. You said, becoming like a driver. What about that a salesman needs a driver to fetch some new dead from the land of the living until they've worked off their time. That should be something like that.
 Dawidos
09-02-2003, 5:34 PM
Originally posted by Grim_comician
There's something you posted, Dawidos. You said, becoming like a driver. What about that a salesman needs a driver to fetch some new dead from the land of the living until they've worked off their time. That should be something like that.

You're right. I had in mind this idea. But now we can talk only about our imagination. The game won't rise. Maybe petition.
 pleto4_ryan
09-02-2003, 7:52 PM
Originally posted by Dawidos
The game won't rise. Maybe petition.

maybe...why not? :D
 Lord Haine
09-08-2003, 1:03 PM
Dont forget the festival! If they make a MMORPG they better have it in there! :cool:
 Tall Guy
09-17-2003, 10:49 PM
heh a GF MMORPG sounds like a sweet idea, thats the stuff of dreams! safe to say it will never happen i guess :( but its a cool idea all the same :)
 Fett101
09-18-2003, 2:22 AM
The only problem would be the fact that MMORPG's can't have an end. In GF, you can catch a Number Nine, or walk all the way to the ninth underworld. They'd have to do something about that...
 Dockmaster_V
09-18-2003, 1:02 PM
A brilliant idea, especially seeing as the job offers are almost limitless. Could you imagine playing as one of the balloon clowns, increasing your stats with each successful balloon show you complete? lol

And being part of LSA would be cool. Loads of missions to do with them!
 amadeus
10-07-2003, 7:49 PM
You think maybe we could start an text RPG thread here? Unless you guys think its too geeky....oh yeah, never mind, I'm in a Grim Fandango forum.

Is there already one of those in the Lounge?
 Lemon Head
10-07-2003, 8:19 PM
Originally posted by Dockmaster_V
increasing your stats with each successful balloon show you complete?
At least then someone could do a half decent Robert Frost
 GendoTheGreat
10-08-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by amadeus
You think maybe we could start an text RPG thread here?

What is a text RPG, and how does it work?
 Sanspoof
10-08-2003, 5:34 PM
It sounds like a good idea, but if anyone wants it they're gonna have to make it theirselves. Lucasarts isn't just handing out free games, guys.
 amadeus
10-08-2003, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by GendoTheGreat
What is a text RPG, and how does it work?

Well, I was thinking along the lines of making characters and playing them in a land of the dead setting. When you post, you post what your character does or says. That way, we could sort of simulate an mmorpg, without actually making a game or anything. I think it would be pretty cool. You would start out by declaring your character's name and background, possibly why they died and what kind of life they lead. What their occupation is in the Land of the Dead, and that sort of thing. You could travel around, interact with each other and roleplay the character that you create. We wouldn't have to have really concrete rules, but it's possible to do, if people wanted it.
 Anomonous Guy
10-08-2003, 7:47 PM
Some cool ideas there guys :)
It is a shame i wouldnt have time or i would definately join in with an mmorpg if it came about, and i would also try to do the RPG thing that amadeus mentioned :)
But alas i do not have time :(
 GendoTheGreat
10-09-2003, 6:28 AM
Well, I was thinking along the lines of making characters and playing them in a land of the dead setting. When you post, you post what your character does or says. That way, we could sort of simulate an mmorpg, without actually making a game or anything. I think it would be pretty cool. You would start out by declaring your character's name and background, possibly why they died and what kind of life they lead. What their occupation is in the Land of the Dead, and that sort of thing. You could travel around, interact with each other and roleplay the character that you create. We wouldn't have to have really concrete rules, but it's possible to do, if people wanted it.

Sounds pretty convoluted, are you sure an online messageboard is the best platform for it? Be like pulling teeth.
 Lemon Head
10-09-2003, 7:29 AM
Sounds pretty convoluted, are you sure an online messageboard is the best platform for it? Be like pulling teeth.
I have to agree that things could go very wrong very quickly without some specially designed and programed MUD affair
 GendoTheGreat
10-09-2003, 9:53 AM
Originally posted by Lemon Head
I have to agree that things could go very wrong very quickly without some specially designed and programed MUD affair
Congratulations, now you get to explain to me what a MUD is.
 pleto4_ryan
10-09-2003, 10:46 AM
You think maybe we could start an text RPG thread here? Unless you guys think its too geeky....oh yeah, never mind, I'm in a Grim Fandango forum.

Is there already one of those in the Lounge?

it would be a nice idea.

But we would also need a "director" ;)
 Lemon Head
10-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Congratulations, now you get to explain to me what a MUD is.
Bugger.

Well essentially, a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) is a program rather like IRC which can be run by many many people at once but which are all interconnected.

The entire thing is text based like those old Infocom games so you might have.

"You are standing in an office of the Department of Death. The whole scene gives the impression of trying to be simultaneously solomn and morbid and yet, at the same time, happy and inviting.

You can see Fluxom and LukeSkywalker69

You can move north or south."

etc. etc. that's how it used to be anyway. The point is that the world was designed and you could do pretty much whatever you wanted.

...i think...i'm getting old
 Sanspoof
10-09-2003, 5:25 PM
Can you download this MUD? I'd like to try it.

Yeah, this seems like a good idea. I'd give it a go if anyone is bothered to try making it. I could give ideas on careers and stuff, too.
 amadeus
10-09-2003, 8:52 PM
Well, if you want an idea of what I was thinking go to the Star Wars forums and check out some of the RPG threads there. I wasn't thinking of anything as high-tech as a MUD. We'd have to get someone who can program to make one of those for us.
 SSLamancha
10-12-2003, 1:28 PM
thats a bloody good idea. that wud b amazing. got a character brewing in my head as i type. this idea aint leavin my head ne time soon :P
 Lagomorph01
11-09-2003, 9:32 PM
Wow...
You know I've never seen it like this...
I always thought of making an adventure game into another game to be sacrelige, desecration, profanation and blasphomy! But this might actually work... It would be so cool!!!:D
The four year journey of the soul, ONLINE!
Play with (or against) anyone! If you wanna make it to the ninth underworld so be it, it will take 4 years, bear that in mind. And if you arrive you can start over again with a new character. But you can alos stay, and be that barkeeper or cab driver or whatever... your choice! That's what MMORPG is all about! We should really go to Lucasarts with this idea, of course Grim Fandango 2 should also be made (If they've got a darn good story, it felt pretty complete to me...)
 Mantrid
11-11-2003, 8:58 PM
Everyone: Get MSN Messenger. Then post your username. Then we'll just start a chat and ivnite a bunch of people.
Page: 1 of 1