Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Flip kicks - they still there?

Page: 1 of 1
 defalc
08-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Okay, someone said that flip kicks were still in the game. But in the list of different moves on the official site, I don't see mention of it anywhere. Don't tell me they removed the front+side kicks. :confused:
 SettingShadow
08-25-2003, 12:18 PM
It's in Saber Combat moves / Saber Staff

:)
 StormHammer
08-25-2003, 12:18 PM
If you go to the official site (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/) and select..

Gameplay->Moves->Saber Combat Moves->Saber Staff

You will see a range of kicks are available for Saber Staff wielders, including... Flip Kick

;)
 Emon
08-25-2003, 6:32 PM
That's a different flip kick I think, he means the JO kick. I have no problem with it as long as it isn't cheap.
 StormHammer
08-25-2003, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by Emon
That's a different flip kick I think, he means the JO kick. I have no problem with it as long as it isn't cheap.

Well, I think a lot of the moves we're familiar with have been 'teaked' or 'altered'. The Flip Kick on the site looks 'similar' to the old JO one, but not exactly the same. Mind you, it's hard to tell in those little videos, without seeing it in the gaming environment.
 Prime
08-26-2003, 1:29 AM
Has it been confirmed whether you will be able to do any form of kick with sabers other than the lightstaff (MP or SP)?
 Emon
08-26-2003, 2:52 AM
I thought they would have the old JO kick for that?
 Tesla
08-26-2003, 3:13 AM
They said they'd include the matrix run-along the wall thing i think, or is that just me :confused:

But the flip of the wall thing was in JK2, i believe and the new kick moves look awesome, but the moves for the Saber Staff seem so limited, i guess there going for total realism :)
 Emon
08-26-2003, 3:18 AM
The wall walk was in JO dude.

And the staff, well, there's only so many moves you can do with a staff before they start to get repetitive for a video game, unless you want the other saber to go through you. ;)
 Tesla
08-26-2003, 3:27 AM
The Wall Walk was in JO ?
If you mean the one were you flip up against the wall, then thats easilly pulled off :)

I really am dying to try out the Double Sabers & The Staff :D
 Emon
08-26-2003, 3:29 AM
Er, yeah dude, you didn't know? Go up to a wall, hold forward and strafe in the direction of the wall. Then hit jump.

The wall walk in JA looks more like a wall run, though, faster and more sustained.
 Tesla
08-26-2003, 3:37 AM
Yeah i didn't know, i wasn't concerned about all the tricks, i just wanted to finish the game and then learn all their was about the moves, yeah it sounds wierd but thats how i like to play these type of games :)
 defalc
08-26-2003, 4:40 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Has it been confirmed whether you will be able to do any form of kick with sabers other than the lightstaff (MP or SP)?
That's what I'm wondering. Is the JO kick still there? I hope so.
 praenuntius
08-26-2003, 4:59 AM
I'm pretty certain you won't be able to kick with anything but the lightstaff.
 defalc
08-26-2003, 5:07 AM
But that's just lame. :(
 Nemios
08-26-2003, 8:03 AM
Originally posted by praenuntius
I'm pretty certain you won't be able to kick with anything but the lightstaff.

Probably the kick you do with the lightstaff replaces the saber throw since it would be quite difficult to throw a staff.
 defalc
08-26-2003, 8:58 AM
Nemios, we're talking about the flip-kick. You know, the double-tap jump/single tap sideways jump kick? Yeah. I really hope that stays, otherwise single-sabre and dual-sabre wielders can't really knock someone down near as easily as a sabre-staff wielder.
 Kurgan
08-26-2003, 11:45 AM
The thing was, in JK2, the "kick" people are talking about is really just a "wall jump" (side or forward "wall flip") done on the "body" of an enemy.

You flip off them, you hear a "smacking" sound as your feet hit them and they get knocked back or knocked to the ground.

We know that the Wall Flips are still there (and not limited to the Saberstaff) so does that mean that flip kicks are still in?

Perhaps, perhaps not. They could have simply removed them... meaning that a wall flip would either just launch you off an enemy body without damage or knockback, or else you would just stupidly "hop" in front of them and accomplish nothing.

Recall also that the "wall flip/wall jump" move was in JK2 SP and MP, but the "flip kick" was only in MP.

I hope they are still in, but that's a very good question...

The "kick" for the Saberstaff is a totally different move. It's a "standing kick" or a "jump kick" like you'd see in a standard Double Dragon fighting game. There are several variants. The closest thing to the JK2 "flip kick" for the saber staff is the move that lets you "kick up" from a knockdown. But still not the same thing at all.
 defalc
08-26-2003, 11:53 AM
Well if they have taken it out, I'll never bother with the single sabre in MP, most likely.
 Prime
08-26-2003, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
The "kick" for the Saberstaff is a totally different move. It's a "standing kick" or a "jump kick" like you'd see in a standard Double Dragon fighting game. There are several variants. The closest thing to the JK2 "flip kick" for the saber staff is the move that lets you "kick up" from a knockdown. But still not the same thing at all. Very true. I think that has led to the confusion (at least for me :) ) about whether the flip kick, or any kick for that matter, is available to non-lightstaff users. I'll I've seen any references to the "regular" kick of the lightstaff. Now that doesn't confirm or deny the existence of the flip-kick, but the fact that I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere leads me to believe it has been removed. I could be wrong, of course.

Personally, I dont really care if it has been left in or taken out. It is always nice to have as many "weapons" as possible, but if Raven decided that in JO it caused too many problems, I can certain understand that.
Page: 1 of 1