Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ragdoll in action

Page: 1 of 1
 Qui-Zan
08-24-2003, 4:48 PM
while i was scouring the net for Jedi Academy info i found this screenshot:

possible beta screenshot removed

two sabers, one of them a staff?
a cheat? who knows - we can just guess for now

The i noticed the dead body, notice how it's legs are held up by the edge of the walkway?

Ragdoll Physics in action, i don't think this has been seen before on any trailers or screenshots.
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 4:59 PM
Originally posted by Qui-Zan
while i was scouring the net for Jedi Academy info i found this screenshot:

http://www.gameroom.com/tracidje/3blades.jpg)

two sabers, one of them a staff?
a cheat? who knows - we can just guess for now

I think that is very likely a cheat in action. :)

The i noticed the dead body, notice how it's legs are held up by the edge of the walkway?

Ragdoll Physics in action, i don't think this has been seen before on any trailers or screenshots.

Well, Raven already stated that they had worked hard to try and fix all of the 'clipping' issues usually found in the Q3 engine. I don't know about physics, but that certainly looks like the ragdoll skeleton system in action.

I haven't seen anything in the trailers so far that looks like ragdoll physics - i.e., anything like that seen in UT2003. I don't see bodies tumbling down stairs, for example. Most of the death animations seem preset again...but I think that when the bodies fall, the ragdoll skeleton ensures their body parts don't stick into the scenery, but fall naturally on surfaces.

Well spotted, mate. ;)
 Obi-Wan X
08-24-2003, 5:09 PM
I agree, this isn't full blown ragdoll physics.
 Qui-Zan
08-24-2003, 5:34 PM
well you know what i meant, it's a feature of ragdoll physics

apperently ragdoll comes into play with grip so you can throw people against walls or other people :)
 Emon
08-24-2003, 6:14 PM
It doesn't need to be full physics. As long as bodies conform to the environment, it's fine. That's the most important part.
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
08-24-2003, 7:27 PM
that link doesn't link to the screen shot, and I looked, adn i still can't find it :(...
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 8:01 PM
Originally posted by Troopr-Undr-Fir
that link doesn't link to the screen shot, and I looked, adn i still can't find it :(...

Copy and paste the URL into the address bar of your browser, and that should work. I meant to mention that just clicking the link redirects you to another site...but the ole CTRL C, CTRL V worked fine. ;)
 NickoHead
08-24-2003, 8:01 PM
Copy & Paste the link into your address bar my friend :)
 txa1265
08-25-2003, 8:58 AM
I can very easily deal witth animations made using a ragdoll skeletal system, that ensures conforming to environmental limits. They've also said they have much better 'positional knowledge', so they can make sure there aren't feet sticking out of doors and walls. People ooh and aah over ragdoll physics as some sort of holy grail ... but there were plenty of issues in Postal 2, for example, and Unreal II, where bodies ended up in the stupidest, most unphysical ways ... not to mention in doors and walls.

Mike
 NickoHead
08-25-2003, 1:12 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Copy and paste the URL into the address bar of your browser, and that should work. I meant to mention that just clicking the link redirects you to another site...but the ole CTRL C, CTRL V worked fine. ;)

Ah storm, u beaet me to it :cool: :D
 taekwondo joe
08-26-2003, 2:11 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
I can very easily deal witth animations made using a ragdoll skeletal system, that ensures conforming to environmental limits. They've also said they have much better 'positional knowledge', so they can make sure there aren't feet sticking out of doors and walls. People ooh and aah over ragdoll physics as some sort of holy grail ... but there were plenty of issues in Postal 2, for example, and Unreal II, where bodies ended up in the stupidest, most unphysical ways ... not to mention in doors and walls.

Mike becuase it tis thee holy grail of games!!! rag doll for ut2003 is the best i have seen thus far, no complaints. rag doll in raven shield is poopy at best, if some one is on there knees and has surrendered to you, if you shoot them, they die the same way every time, and its an awkward yoga bend backwards potion, like i broke them in half. that rag doll i will take over death animations becuase its funny, and some times you get real good deaths, death ani's get old after awile, because you see them over and over and over and over and over again. although, jedi outcast deaths are about the best i have seen! i like those
 Kurgan
08-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Just a comment (call me jaded but..) if that's a beta screenshot then chances are its not up to date in regards to the animations...

And yeah, looks like a cheat, we have had no info whatsoever that you can use that combination of blades in game. The "ragdoll" doesn't look that impressive, at least not in that shot (it's far away and harder to tell what's going on). Then again, I haven't played UT2k3 (I know, I need to) so maybe I just missed the whole ragdoll bandwagon (don't get me wrong, it certainly sounds like a worthy idea).
 txa1265
08-26-2003, 12:02 PM
You should all check out the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ragdoll videos. They are very good at showing realistic body drops. But notice that everyone dies the same way in the vehicle physics clip ... I know it's just a demo of a pre-alpha game, but that is a concern. If the enemies are not placed with different stances/body attitudes/etc then they will all die identically, and it will look worse than an animation.

But ragdoll physics is just part of the larger 'realistic environmental physics' that is where things are headed. Again, STALKER vehicle demos show tires moving independantly as the truck rolls over the bodies and the bodies being moved and bounced realistically (they don't crush, flatten or dismember, but that's for another day ...)

UT2003 is a *good* example of ragdoll. But there are many more *BAD* examples - I still go back to Unreal II and Postal 2 ... death animations would definitely been better. And it doesn't cure all evils ...

Mike
Page: 1 of 1