Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

LAB file Creator/Dumper

Page: 1 of 1
 bgbennyboy
08-16-2003, 8:38 PM
I made a .Lab file Creator and Dumper, get it here (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/files/LabCreator-Dumper1.1.zip)

In case you didnt know .lab files are the resource files used in Grim Fandango. With the tool you can dump specific files/all files from a .lab or create a .lab out of files you choose. It might be useful if you want to mess with the files inside Grim, you can dump all the files, edit the ones you want, then turn them all back into a .lab file and use them in Grim.

Usage should be self-explanatory, source code available if anyone wants it. If anyone does use it please let me know what you think/what the most glaring bug is.
 bgbennyboy
08-18-2003, 10:59 PM
I updated it to support the EMI .m4b lab files. Get it `ere (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/files/LabCreator-Dumper1.1.zip).

EMI lab's seem to have the name directory placed randomly in the file. I chose to place it after the file entry records as with the older GF lab's.

EMI seems to like the files in it's lab's in a specific order, GF doesnt seem bothered about this. To make compiled files work in EMI therefore, I have added 'save filelist' and 'load filelist' buttons. These let you save the order of the files and load that same order back in, so that the file order will be the same when you compile the file. I added checking to load filelist, so if the files in the filelist and the folder you choose dont match up, you will be told so and not allowed to compile the file. Save/load filelist will work for the old Grim lab's too.

The filename's in the EMI lab's often contain backslashes, since you can't have backslashes in a filename in windows the backslashes are replaced with [] when file's are saved. When file's are loaded back in to be compiled into an EMI lab the [] are replaced with the original backslashes. I have not added this conversion when compiling a Grim lab, since they do not have backslashes in.

Finally, the file header in the .m4b spec was incomplete, this is it with the missing long filled in:

id long LucasArts Bundle ID ("LABN")
version long File revision number
files long number of files in bundle
dirsize long NameDir size
dirofs long Start offset of the name directory when decreased by 0x013D0F (81167)
Page: 1 of 1