Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dark Forces FAQ

Page: 1 of 1
 Katarn07
08-12-2003, 4:11 PM
Here's the coolest site for anything and everything one needs to know about the coolest classic FPS of all time ;)

Dark Forces FAQ (http://www.geocities.com/darkforces_faq/dfhead.html)

It's got everything you need to know about the game, including enemy/ weapons profiles and pictures, level walkthroughs, cool behind the scenes things, and tons of extra stuff :D
 The_One
08-12-2003, 6:28 PM
Nice find! I've seen a plain text version of that before, but never in glorious HTML ;)

I'll have to bookmark this :p
 ZBomber
08-12-2003, 7:15 PM
http://www.geocities.com/darkforces_faq/mousebot.jpg)

I miss the old graphics. :p

Nice find thoguh. It even has how many enemies there are in every level. Impressive. ;)
 Kurgan
08-14-2003, 2:13 AM
Very cool. ; )

Of course, it is a little out of date, considering MotS, JK2 have come out since then and JA is coming.

Also Kyle Katarn and his exploits are now part of the Expanded Universe officially (he is mentioned in the NJO books, in the New Essential Guide to Characters as well as having his adventures chronicled in a book trilogy Soldier For the Empire/Rebel Agent/Jedi Knight).
 The_One
08-14-2003, 9:38 AM
Maybe we should see if we can track down the original author and try and update it.

Add all the things that aren't in there and bring it up to date. We could then host it at the DFMOD website :p

Just an idea...
 Katarn07
08-14-2003, 3:33 PM
That's a very good idea, because as cool as that FAQ is, it's ugly. Add their content to your pretty site, and it'd be spectacular :D

Just wanna comment on the site again. I like the sprites (not sure if that's the right term) in the lower right hand corner. I was hitting refresh over and over to see all the ones you put on there. And it really looks like Kyle's PDA and all. Great idea and great work ;)
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 5:13 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Very cool. ; )

Of course, it is a little out of date, considering MotS, JK2 have come out since then and JA is coming.

Also Kyle Katarn and his exploits are now part of the Expanded Universe officially (he is mentioned in the NJO books, in the New Essential Guide to Characters as well as having his adventures chronicled in a book trilogy Soldier For the Empire/Rebel Agent/Jedi Knight).

Don't forget his action figure, which is in the catagorey Expanded Universe, along with the Darktrooper. ;)
 satyap
08-14-2003, 5:51 PM
df-21.net was working on a new FAQ based on the old one, but the new maintainer (japh) is a slacker.

Uh, there was an FAQ forum at the df-21 website, but it disappeared.
 Kurgan
08-14-2003, 6:12 PM
Yeah I wished now that I'd grabbed one when I had the chance.

He came with a Rail Detonator for crying out loud! ; )

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVED my lightsaber keychain with JK2, but making a new Kyle Katarn action figure for purchase with the game would have rocked even harder....
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 6:57 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Yeah I wished now that I'd grabbed one when I had the chance.

He came with a Rail Detonator for crying out loud! ; )

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVED my lightsaber keychain with JK2, but making a new Kyle Katarn action figure for purchase with the game would have rocked even harder....

Oh, that would have been AWESOME. Just an exclusive too. ;) I never got the Kyle Katarn figure, I never saw it in stores :(
 Katarn07
08-14-2003, 7:08 PM
Isn't the PC version of JA supposed to come with an exclusive action figure?

I remember complaing (who doesn't remember me doing that?! :p) because I was getting it for XBOX and I'd have to get mine from an internet store and Stormhammer said he'd give them to his kids to fight over.

Kyle did come with a Rail Detonator, but he also had a beard so he was all outta place. In my opinion, the Rail Detonator was better than just an E-11. Like they hadn't made enough of those :rolleyes:

OK that was all off topic, and I think I'll shut up now ;)
 The_One
08-14-2003, 8:18 PM
Found a cool (detailed) picture of the action figure on the Kyle Katarn Fansite:

http://www.bonetweb.com/antonpanton/Kylefig.jpg)

Also, if you're interested in the Dark Trooper:

http://www.bonetweb.com/antonpanton/darktroop.jpg)

They look pretty cool ;)
 Katarn07
08-14-2003, 9:25 PM
Here's Kyle and Mohc going at it on my dresser amongst the other EU line :p

https://home.comcast.net/~pahnke6/wsb/media/150725/site1117.jpg)

You think those are cool, The_One? They came with little cardboard pop up displays, and the Dark Trooper's has the HUD in the front. E-11 out with the shield/ health and and the weapons displays in their proper place.

I had to take them down to make room for the AotC guys on the shelf above :(
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 9:50 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Isn't the PC version of JA supposed to come with an exclusive action figure?

I remember complaing (who doesn't remember me doing that?! :p) because I was getting it for XBOX and I'd have to get mine from an internet store and Stormhammer said he'd give them to his kids to fight over.

Kyle did come with a Rail Detonator, but he also had a beard so he was all outta place. In my opinion, the Rail Detonator was better than just an E-11. Like they hadn't made enough of those :rolleyes:

OK that was all off topic, and I think I'll shut up now ;)

He didn't come with an E-11, it was a Bryar Pistol. ;)

And, what do you mean about the beard? In Jedi Knight, I'm pretty sure he has a beard. ;)
 Katarn07
08-14-2003, 9:56 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
He didn't come with an E-11, it was a Bryar Pistol. ;)

And, what do you mean about the beard? In Jedi Knight, I'm pretty sure he has a beard. ;)

But the figure is Kyle Katarn from Dark Forces, not Jedi Knight. So he should not have had a beard or Rail Detonator.

I know he came with a Bryar Pistol. Kurgan is making fun of how he came with a Rail Detonator. That wasn't in the original DF. He came with that and a Bryar. I am saying it is for the better he came with a Rail Detonator over an E-11 ;)

*NOTE* A mod might wanna change the name of this thread to: Dark Forces FAQ/ Kyle Katarn Action Figure Discussion because it is going way off topic from what it was, but has to do with DF.
 Swoosh
08-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Hey guys, while we're talking about it, I want to ask you for some help. If you guys have any content or ideas for content that you'd like to have in the dark forces section of jk.net, let me know. I'm adding things to it everyday and trying to get it to be the leader of dark forces info on the net. I'll also be doing the same with Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast. But, I'm trying to focus on df as of now. Thanks!

Swoosh
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Swoosh
Hey guys, while we're talking about it, I want to ask you for some help. If you guys have any content or ideas for content that you'd like to have in the dark forces section of jk.net, let me know. I'm adding things to it everyday and trying to get it to be the leader of dark forces info on the net. I'll also be doing the same with Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast. But, I'm trying to focus on df as of now. Thanks!

Swoosh

Ooh... I got lots of Ideas. ^_^

Videos
Screenshots
Concept Art
Charector Biographies
Tips
Walktrhoughs
Downlaods
Fan Art
Contests
Wallpapers
Screensavers

Just a few ideas. :)
 Swoosh
08-15-2003, 2:26 AM
Videos and downloads will have to wait until lucasfiles is fully operational again. All of our files will be going through there shortly.

As far as screenshots...the last time I tried to take screens of Dark Forces, it didn't work for some reason. Perhap because it is dos based the printscreen button won't work. Anyone know a way around this?

I'll try to get a hold of some concept art...maybe LEC could help us out with that.

Fan Art, Wallpapers, and Screensavers will have to come from the fans. I'll try to think up some contests to encourage people to submit these.

Thanks for the ideas though!

Swoosh
 ZBomber
08-15-2003, 3:33 PM
Videos and downloads will have to wait until lucasfiles is fully operational again. All of our files will be going through there shortly.

As far as screenshots...the last time I tried to take screens of Dark Forces, it didn't work for some reason. Perhap because it is dos based the printscreen button won't work. Anyone know a way around this?

I'll try to get a hold of some concept art...maybe LEC could help us out with that.

Fan Art, Wallpapers, and Screensavers will have to come from the fans. I'll try to think up some contests to encourage people to submit these.

Thanks for the ideas though!

Swoosh

hmmm.... I think theres a program, called Capture-It. That might work for the screenshots....
 Katarn07
08-15-2003, 4:29 PM
I remember a site that The_One and Darth Linux posted at the old mod boards about Justin Chin and his work at LEC. There were some concept arts of the Dark Troopers and some other things that won't fail to please ;)
 Swoosh
08-15-2003, 5:05 PM
hmm...I vaguely remember that. Help me track the site down!

Swoosh

[EDIT] I just found an old news post at massassi about new-legends.net...which is no longer operational.
 ZBomber
08-15-2003, 6:46 PM

Swoosh

[EDIT] I just found an old news post at massassi about new-legends.net...which is no longer operational.

Hmm... I'll search for it on Google... ;)
 The_One
08-15-2003, 7:36 PM

Swoosh

That wasn't it.

Justin Chin's site is:

http://www.monsterrocket.com)

There is a Dark Forces and Jedi Knight section there. You could also host Lundquist's unofficial soundtrack to Dark Forces in mp3 format.
 ZBomber
08-15-2003, 9:52 PM
Originally posted by The_One
That wasn't it.

Justin Chin's site is:

http://www.monsterrocket.com)

There is a Dark Forces and Jedi Knight section there. You could also host Lundquist's unofficial soundtrack to Dark Forces in mp3 format.

Ooh, that will be a great add-on to the site. :)
 Swoosh
08-15-2003, 10:01 PM
hmm...do you guys think those concept art pieces are property of Chin or LucasArts?

Swoosh
 ZBomber
08-15-2003, 10:15 PM
hmm...do you guys think those concept art pieces are property of Chin or LucasArts?

Swoosh

Send him an E-Mail. Maybe he'd let you put them on the site if you refer to his site. ;)
 Swoosh
08-15-2003, 11:57 PM
Not a bad idea...I just noticed he seems to want to be emailed.

Swoosh
 Barry Brien
08-16-2003, 12:33 AM
That's a good idea.
Nice figures Katarn, I see you have the Classic 4 pack. I'd love to have that, in fact I was looking at it on ebay the other day. Have you ever opened it?
 ZBomber
08-16-2003, 2:22 AM
Not a bad idea...I just noticed he seems to want to be emailed.

Swoosh

What can I say? E-mail does wonders. :)
 Katarn07
08-18-2003, 1:51 AM
Originally posted by Barry Brien
That's a good idea.
Nice figures Katarn, I see you have the Classic 4 pack. I'd love to have that, in fact I was looking at it on ebay the other day. Have you ever opened it?

Of course not!!! I got all of those loose anyways ;)

You can see more of my collection in the collecting forum.
Page: 1 of 1