Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dark Forces...

Page: 1 of 1
 GonkH8er
08-11-2003, 2:35 AM
Just curious..... how many of you have the game?
 ryudom
08-11-2003, 2:54 AM
i do i still have to finish it though. got pretty far too
 ZBomber
08-11-2003, 3:24 AM
Best Old agme eva! :D

Definetly, its a msut have ;)
 Neverhoodian
08-11-2003, 3:29 AM
Unfortunately, I do not have Dark Forces. I played a demo of it at a friend's house about five years ago. Pretty fun. (The dianogas freaked me out, though) I plan to download the upcoming Dark Forces TC for JA when it comes out, though.;)
 ZBomber
08-11-2003, 3:34 AM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Unfortunately, I do not have Dark Forces. I played a demo of it at a friend's house about five years ago. Pretty fun. (The dianogas freaked me out, though) I plan to download the upcoming Dark Forces TC for JA when it comes out, though.;)

You can find it pretty cheap at many stores, too. Might wanna check it out. Its just a good game to have. :)

Yes, Dianogas are freaky. They just jump out of the water, and... .EATEN! ;)
 FK | unnamed
08-11-2003, 4:51 AM
I have it but I could never get it to run on XP.

:mad:

The only time I ever played DF was on the ps1, it was pretty cool though.

I've always wanted to try the PC version but I think I'm s.o.l....
 BongoBob
08-11-2003, 5:41 AM
I can't wait for the mod for JKII...Is it the entire game???
 SettingShadow
08-11-2003, 6:10 AM
I have it. I've never finnished it though. Got stuck on a level. And now that I've upgraded to XP from 98 I'm not sure I'll be able to run it anymore. :|
 |GG|Carl
08-11-2003, 6:25 AM
I don't have it, but some of my friends have...
 StormHammer
08-11-2003, 11:28 AM
I got the game when it was first released, and I played through it on Medium difficulty and loved it. The little tweaks and additions to the engine (like being able to look up and down) were very welcome at the time. The only thing I didn't like about it was the lack of a mid-level save feature...requiring you to complete a level in it's entirety, or start over in the next gaming session. I've played it several times since then, always on Hard difficulty.

The game's still on my hard disk, although ever since my Mobo was replaced about 18 months ago, I haven't been able to get the sound to work. :( I played through DF again a few months ago, and if you can forgive the dated graphics, it's still a good blast. Of course, it took me far, far less time to get through it - some of the levels seem really small, now, when the first time through them they seemed quite big.

Ah...fond memories. ;)

I can't wait to play the Dark Forces mod that's in development. Having played the 'Secret Base' demo level, I know the quality is excellent, and the mod will be very good. Of course...there are no sound issues, either.
 Reclaimer
08-11-2003, 11:30 AM
What he said.^ :p
 ZBomber
08-11-2003, 5:50 PM
Originally posted by FK | unnamed
I have it but I could never get it to run on XP.

:mad:

The only time I ever played DF was on the ps1, it was pretty cool though.

I've always wanted to try the PC version but I think I'm s.o.l....

I'm pretty sure the PC version is the same. :)
 Emon
08-11-2003, 6:16 PM
Oh yeah.
 The Count
08-11-2003, 6:23 PM
I've got it, best Ј15 I ever spent on a game.
 Kurgan
08-11-2003, 7:21 PM
I own the cd-rom DOS version and the "win95/98" version.

I had played the demo years ago, but I bought the game after I had gotten into Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight to see "how it all began."

While I liked the idea of DF, I felt the first couple of levels were somewhat boring.. but the game got MUCH BETTER as you went on, and I enjoyed playing it (that last level was somewhat frustrating though, with the lack of mid level save).

The other thing I really liked is that there was already a large library of user-created content (especially maps) to browse through when I bought the game.

I will confess that I felt ripped off when I bought the Win95/98 version of the game. It is 100% identical to the DOS cd-rom version, except that they included a win9x "launcher" for the game (no new features, sorry) that only works if you installed the game into the default directory anyway (c:/dark/). So it was kind of pointless. Also I bought it at Hastings, and they first told me I could return it, then said I couldn't. But... it was only 10 bucks at the time, so not a big loss. But I digress.... ; )

PS: Don't bother with the PSX version, it's just slightly below the PC (goofy controls, lower res, no editing). I really want to try the Mac version though, with its higher resolutions. I wish LucasArts would release the source for this game, so that people could make it with higher res, internet multiplayer, OpenGL and stuff like that (like what has been done for Doom and other older FPS games). I enjoy the DF mod for JK2, but it's not the same...
 The Count
08-13-2003, 3:22 PM
I think they did release the DF Source Code, or someone aqquired it from the game I heard someone say, Emon probably knows more what I'm talking about.
 Metallus
08-13-2003, 9:08 PM
I've got two copies of the three-level demo (one is a Full Throttle/DF combo demo CD, the other came with the LucasArts Archives: Volume 2) and two copies of the full version (one came with the LucasArts Archives: Volume 3, the other came with my copy of Jedi Outcast). Woot?
 ZBomber
08-13-2003, 10:19 PM
I have the demo version two. I remember LucasArts Achieves. I got 2 of those. ;) (One had Dark Forces, other had Sampler CD...) :)
 Kurgan
08-14-2003, 2:06 AM
Let me tell you, if you liked the DF demo (warts and all) you'll LOVE the full game, trust me. ; )

I think they did release the DF Source Code, or someone aqquired it from the game I heard someone say, Emon probably knows more what I'm talking about.

If true, this is BIG NEWS. I want to know all about it... 'cause this passed me right by. Is it legal? 'Cause what a boon to the mod community that would be!
 The_One
08-14-2003, 9:25 AM
I don't think it has been released yet.

However, a few months ago the Duke Nukem 3D source code was released. Since Dark Forces runs on the same engine, there is hope yet ;)
 Sivy
08-14-2003, 9:46 AM
dark forces was a great game. i liked the whole FPS thing but i wasn't really a fan of doom or duke nukem, so when it came out i was really quite excited. i didn't stop playing it for months. the story was great, the graphics were pretty cool (for its time :p ) just so much fun.
 Sam Fisher
08-14-2003, 3:56 PM
That was a great game, it took me like 2 days of continuous playing to beat it. It was a nice tuch(sp?) to put Boba Fett in there, IMO.
 ZBomber
08-14-2003, 5:04 PM
Originally posted by SamFisher
That was a great game, it took me like 2 days of continuous playing to beat it. It was a nice tuch(sp?) to put Boba Fett in there, IMO.

2 days? :eek:

It took me like a few months, but I wasn't playing it contionusoly. ;)
 Kurgan
08-15-2003, 2:13 AM
However, a few months ago the Duke Nukem 3D source code was released. Since Dark Forces runs on the same engine, there is hope yet.

I'm afraid you're wrong, Duke3D used the "Build" engine, while DF used the "Jedi" engine developed by LucasArts.

There were rumors at the time of DF's release that they had "stolen" the Doom engine code, but I don't think there was anything to them (obviously, or Id would have sued). Of course that would have been silly anyway, since there were other games that used the Doom engine out and others that didn't long before DF came out.
 Barry Brien
08-15-2003, 2:30 AM
Do any of yguys ever play any of the custom df missions?
A lot of them far surpass the original levels.
 Emon
08-15-2003, 7:17 AM
Yes, but I don't remember which ones. I don't think the ones I got were much anything special. I remember one where you were supposed to kill Vader, and one on Alderaan or something. I'll likely download some of the higher rating levels from TACC and DF-21 since I recently installed DF.
 The Count
08-15-2003, 7:55 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
I'm afraid you're wrong, Duke3D used the "Build" engine, while DF used the "Jedi" engine developed by LucasArts.

There were rumors at the time of DF's release that they had "stolen" the Doom engine code, but I don't think there was anything to them (obviously, or Id would have sued). Of course that would have been silly anyway, since there were other games that used the Doom engine out and others that didn't long before DF came out.

Isn't it ironic now that the Dark Forces series now uses the ID Quake 3 engine, anyway theyt might not release the Dark Forces Source Code because they are worried that there is a chance that ID may sue them over that whole stealing the code issue, as I read in that Dark Forces FAQ, they apparently confessed to ripping apart the Doom engine.

But then again what chance does a by comparrison puny game company have against the mighty George Lucas.
 HaruGlory89
08-15-2003, 1:16 PM
I have a super-three-level demo version, which I got from The Lucasarts Collection II.

Unfortunately, I got it a bit too late and it can't run on my ME.
 The Cheat
08-15-2003, 3:17 PM
i have it, had some problems running it on xp but i got it working fine now
 ZBomber
08-15-2003, 3:35 PM
Originally posted by HaruGlory89
I have a super-three-level demo version, which I got from The Lucasarts Collection II.

Unfortunately, I got it a bit too late and it can't run on my ME.

Check the other thread. I got it to work fine on an XP. ;)
 txa1265
08-20-2003, 1:04 PM
I have both the DOS version and the 'enhanced' Mac version.

The DOS version has been in a box for ... years ;). The Mac version is still on my Powerbook, and I play it occasionally. The Mac enhancements - 640 x 480 resolution and enhanced sound - make the game much more playable these days. It is still a very enjoyable game.

Doom I liked, and didn't get DF until a bit later, and played it and Duke 3D to death for quite a while ... lots o'fun.

I like the idea of no mid-level saves, with multiple lives. That was one thing I actually liked in Red Faction II - no quicksaves, just checkpoints. Sure it was a console port thing rather than a thoughtful addition, but it was a pain in the a** and I liked it :)

I am still hopeful of the DF on JKII release ...

Mike
 The_One
08-20-2003, 8:20 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I have both the DOS version and the 'enhanced' Mac version.

The DOS version has been in a box for ... years ;). The Mac version is still on my Powerbook, and I play it occasionally. The Mac enhancements - 640 x 480 resolution and enhanced sound - make the game much more playable these days. It is still a very enjoyable game.

Doom I liked, and didn't get DF until a bit later, and played it and Duke 3D to death for quite a while ... lots o'fun.

I like the idea of no mid-level saves, with multiple lives. That was one thing I actually liked in Red Faction II - no quicksaves, just checkpoints. Sure it was a console port thing rather than a thoughtful addition, but it was a pain in the a** and I liked it :)

I am still hopeful of the DF on JKII release ...

Mike

Oh it will come, no matter how long it takes us ;)
 Katarn07
08-21-2003, 1:27 AM
Originally posted by The_One
Oh it will come, no matter how long it takes us ;)

Oh? :p

Well... I'll get a new PC sometime and can play it either way, but won't be any time soon :(
 txa1265
08-21-2003, 9:16 AM
Originally posted by The_One
Oh it will come, no matter how long it takes us ;) Oh I know - I've been keeping an eye on the forums and site. You guys have quite a bumpy ride, though ...

Thing is - there are some games worth preserving in a playable state. Dark Forces is one of them, IMO.

Mike
 GUNNER
08-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Have it? It was one of the first games I got. I just might have to re-load it someday.
 Dawidos
10-19-2003, 9:52 PM
I heard that Dark Forces is a really great game such as Doom, Quake etc. But I can't find this game anywhere. Is it on CD or something else ? How many MB does it required ?
 |DEM|Mosleg
11-13-2003, 5:54 PM
I do not have it. I never found out about the Jedi Knight series until Jedi Outcast.

My friend who has been playing the series since the initial release of the origional Dark Forces said it's much better than the newer JK titles.
 |DEM|Mosleg
11-13-2003, 11:41 PM
EDIT: Oh, nevermind, it's $9.99, at first I thought I read $19.99.

I came up with this from amazon.com:

Star Wars: Dark Forces (Jewel Case)
Other products by LucasArts Entertainment

Price: $9.99

Availability: Usually ships within 1 to 2 weeks

26 used & new from $2.99

Platform: Windows 95 / 98 / Me
ESRB Rating: Teen (Content suitable for persons ages 13 or older.)

See more pictures | System requirements

Note to Customers: Realistic Violence (what this means)

Features:

- Stop the Empire from creating a doomsday army
- Fully interactive environments include morphing walls and moving platforms
- Call on 10 lethal weapons to fight 20 enemies
- First-person combat
- Single player only

It's a bit pricey for a game as old as it is, I imagine by surfing around at some other online retailers you could find a better price.
 Jinni Tsurugi
06-15-2004, 9:45 PM
You are all really, really weird. And with that one sentence, I rest my case.
 txa1265
06-16-2004, 7:39 AM
Originally posted by Jinni Tsurugi
You are all really, really weird. And with that one sentence, I rest my case. Not denying my weirdness, but why bring it up?

Mike
 Poggle
06-16-2004, 12:01 PM
speaking of bringing things up this is a pretty old thread to post in Jinni
Page: 1 of 1